Would you trade Pick 4 for...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

groupie1
Club Player

Re: Would you trade Pick 4 for...

saintsRrising wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 3:45pm
groupie1 wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 4:54am
saintsRrising wrote: Wed 24 Oct 2018 12:04am
groupie1 wrote: Sun 21 Oct 2018 8:28am Pick 8, 13, 16, 21 and their 1st Round pick next yr.... and throw them 36?

I'd seriously consider it.

Would they offer that?

No and why would they? It iw way, way overs for Rozee.

And if they were that generous they would do a deal with the Suns to land Lucky or Rankine rather than Rozee.
I'd have traded those picks to land Nick Riewoldt.
Well one can say that knowing how good Nick was. But would you have done that when he was just a skinny unknown but very talented kid? I think not.
Of course you can't be sure... but if there is a widely held belief this kid 'could' be the next Nick Riewoldt... I'd absolutely take the chance of f****** it up.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
groupie1
Club Player

Its a simple risk to reward thing. The payoff is massive, which is why I'd been keen on Lukocious from the start (I know many don't share that enthusiasm)

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
DJ Higgins
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:38am Its a simple risk to reward thing. The payoff is massive, which is why I'd been keen on Lukocious from the start (I know many don't share that enthusiasm)
I do and I thought he was going at #1 earlier this year. I'm not a scout so I take the word of those that do it for a living and I haven't seen a list without him in top 3.
It could be a moot point as gc may take him at pick 2 but if they say max king I'm going to be ecstatic
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 1:38am Its a simple risk to reward thing. The payoff is massive, which is why I'd been keen on Lukocious from the start (I know many don't share that enthusiasm)
Though if you trade off pick 4 you are less likely to get the next Roo or elite player.

Having a our first pick 8 leaves you outside of this years likely elite talent.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

The more I look at it, the more I hope we take Smith.
He has elite qualities, is fast, from Vic and a natural leader.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 52ba414666

"ST KILDA has vowed to play hard ball over its prized No. 4 draft pick, telling Adelaide and Port Adelaide that it would have to take “something spectacular’’ to part with the selection.

The Saints have admitted that they have had “preliminary discussions’’ with the Crows and Power about the pick as the two SA clubs try to move up the draft board to get their hands on prized Croweaters Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine and Connor Rozee.

But new St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said “there’s a discernible difference between picks 4 and 5 and picks 6 and 7 in this year’s draft’’.

“It would have to be something spectacular for us to trade away that pick,’’ he said.'"

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:39pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 52ba414666

"ST KILDA has vowed to play hard ball over its prized No. 4 draft pick, telling Adelaide and Port Adelaide that it would have to take “something spectacular’’ to part with the selection.

The Saints have admitted that they have had “preliminary discussions’’ with the Crows and Power about the pick as the two SA clubs try to move up the draft board to get their hands on prized Croweaters Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine and Connor Rozee.

But new St Kilda list manager James Gallagher said “there’s a discernible difference between picks 4 and 5 and picks 6 and 7 in this year’s draft’’.

“It would have to be something spectacular for us to trade away that pick,’’ he said.'"
IMO the SA clubs will only bid high if Lucky or Ranking were there at 4. And if the Suns do not want one or both of them why would not the Suns jump in and trade their pick?

If Rozee is the last SA standing of the big SA threesome the price would be lower. Port may gamble that he is there at 5. If we deal with the Crows then our first pick at best is an 8.

But are Lucky and Rankine the type of player that we should pass on getting if we have the chance to?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 4:23pm The more I look at it, the more I hope we take Smith.
He has elite qualities, is fast, from Vic and a natural leader.

If Walsh, Lucky and Rankine are gone then I would be very pleased to land Smith. I would much prefer Smith to Max King.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 7:46pm
saynta wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 6:39pm https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 52ba414666

IMO the SA clubs will only bid high if Lucky or Ranking were there at 4. And if the Suns do not want one or both of them why would not the Suns jump in and trade their pick?

If Rozee is the last SA standing of the big SA threesome the price would be lower. Port may gamble that he is there at 5. If we deal with the Crows then our first pick at best is an 8.

But are Lucky and Rankine the type of player that we should pass on getting if we have the chance to?
Port might think we won’t take a South Australian at pick 4 which may be true, but the other alternative is the Crows do a deal with us, and Port won’t want that.
We could then end up taking the player we wanted at 5 and having an extra first round pick.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Thu 25 Oct 2018 8:53pm
Port might think we won’t take a South Australian at pick 4 which may be true, but the other alternative is the Crows do a deal with us, and Port won’t want that.
We could then end up taking the player we wanted at 5 and having an extra first round pick.

I think Port know we would take Lucky in a heartbeat. Quite probably Rankine, but if both gone that we may not favour Rozee over Smith or King.

So how bad to the Crows want Rozee?

If they have the hots for Lucky or Rankine then the Suns is where they need to aim to guarantee they get one.

The Suns could even trade one each to each club so that one gets Lucky and the other Rankine. The high bidder getting firsts dibs. But they may not have the lists spots this year, though they could take their first and second rounders next year as well for example.