NOTHING HAS CHANGED

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Re: NOTHING HAS CHANGED

Crossy66 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 11:49am
bigcarl wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 11:41am Who was the klutz that traded Hickey - our only decent ruckman - days before the new ruck rules were revealed?

Rules that most likely will mean a return to two ruckmen.

My betting is on Richo. He never rated Hickey and puts his trust in a player who, while “strong at the contest”, struggles to get a kick. One’s an actual footballer, the other is just a big log.

Classic St Kilda balls up.
Marshall a better version of Hickey - he was surplus.
Longer is the definition of surplus.... we (supporters) can't handle another season of this guy..

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 12:08pm
bigcarl wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 11:41am Who was the klutz that traded Hickey - our only decent ruckman - days before the new ruck rules were revealed?

My betting is on Richo. He never rated Hickey and puts his trust in a player who, while “strong at the contest”, struggles to get a kick. One’s an actual footballer, the other is just a big log.

If Hickey was surplus what does that make Longer? Also, Marshall I reckon is going to be a gun key forward. You don’t want to use a thoroughbred for hack ruck work.
One of Hickey or Longer had to go.

I reckon Longer would have been gone if anyone wanted him. Hence Hickey left.

And I totally disagree with the outdated view of ruckmen. A ruckman that can run, and has skill is an incredibly valuable asset in modern football.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

David-Lee wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 8:59am PORT ADELAIDE has capped off the 2017 Trade Period by completing two separate draft pick swaps with St Kilda and Melbourne.

The swaps result in the following;

Port receives picks 59 and 63 in this year's Draft plus a future second round selection from St Kilda, in exchange for pick 34 (Oscar Clavarino) and a future fourth round selection.

The Saints snared 13-gamer Austin and the Power's 2018 fourth-round pick in exchange for their own 2018 third-round selection.

This was for Logan, we gave 2018 3rd round pick and to sweeten it traded the said above, that 2nd round pick is #23 this year.

Do you get it? What fecking club gives away pick 59, 63 and a future 2nd rounder in exchange for pick 34 and pick #69? No one because it included our pick #23 to get Logan.

Those are called facts.
You’ve confused it mate

The swap of seconds gave us Clarivino - the Logan trade was as I described.

Whilst we did go backwards with the swap of seconds it was separate to the Logan trade

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda have picked up 22-year-old Port Adelaide tall defender Logan Austin as a result of a trade with the Power this morning.

The Saints have received the 13-gamer and a 2018 third round draft pick from Port, while the Power have received the St Kilda's future third round pick in return.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/19/ ... at-saints/

#1 Ryder fan
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 8:00am
bigcarl wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 12:08pm

If Hickey was surplus what does that make Longer? Also, Marshall I reckon is going to be a gun key forward. You don’t want to use a thoroughbred for hack ruck work.
One of Hickey or Longer had to go.

I reckon Longer would have been gone if anyone wanted him. Hence Hickey left.
Agreed,

Neither Hickey nor Longer were the answer. Both have had a long time to prove otherwise.

I would have rathered we kept Hickey, but clearly he was the only one with currency, hence the trade.

I’ll be very surprised if Longer is kept for anything other than insurance.

Bad management is bad management
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

For me, the most disappointing aspect of the off-season so far is the lack of a clear statement about what is and isn’t acceptable on field...
And that statement needed to be made via the list.

It’s all well and good to cut guys like Goddard, Freeman, Minch, Koby etc guys that generally didn’t play but the group of regulars not consistently up to scratch over the last 2 years (or longer) is vast.

Hickey, Longer, Paddy, Armitage, Weller, Savage, Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, Sinclair, White, Rice, and Lonie to name a few.

I would have liked to have seen some movement... I doubt a few ppl on that list would get picked up if cut whereas the Hawks are at least interested in Minch and Goddard May secure a rookie spot with Carlton

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 6:14pm For me, the most disappointing aspect of the off-season so far is the lack of a clear statement about what is and isn’t acceptable on field...

It’s all well and good to cut guys like Goddard, Freeman, Minch, Koby etc guys that generally didn’t play but the group of regulars not consistently up to scratch over the last 2 years (or longer) is vast.

Hickey, Longer, Paddy, Armitage, Weller, Savage, Dunstan, Newnes, Weller, Sinclair, White, Rice, and Lonie to name a few.

I would have liked to have seen some movement... I doubt a few ppl on that list would get picked up if cut whereas the Hawks are at least interested in Minch and Goddard May secure a rookie spot with Carlton
You can't move guys that no one wants.

And why would you delist someone with currency if you might get something in return?

I would wager that the club would have had all bar about 5 or 6 players up as tradeable. But if no one wants them - what can you do?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 14 Oct 2018 8:59am
skeptic wrote: Sat 13 Oct 2018 6:14pm For me, the most disappointing aspect of the off-season so far is the lack of a clear statement about what is and isn’t acceptable on field...

And why would you delist someone with currency if you might get something in return?

I would wager that the club would have had all bar about 5 or 6 players up as tradeable. But if no one wants them - what can you do?
Fair enough.

FWIW, I think your assessment of our list is pretty spot on.

I think we started a solid attempt at rebuilding that’s stalled a bit due to lack of senior players as you’ve pointed out but also by the very normal process of a few players not coming on as we had hoped.

My take is that things are progressing but they need to keep turning the list over and not put too much stock into players that don’t have much potential to improve anymore.

My concern is that we apparently thought we were finals bound and that Richo will continue to overrate the list rather than work through it

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I think Lethlean has been quoted as using the word "enhancement" to describe the strategy they were taking towards list management this year, and so far, going by all trade events it looks like the club has followed that strategy. And also there hasn't been one player who has asked to be traded that I can recall?

Most pundits have said there is a good core of talent at the club, David King being one that springs to mind, Hanneberry being another.

Shaggy
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Fri 12 Oct 2018 4:57am
Shaggy wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 10:51pm
David-Lee wrote: Thu 11 Oct 2018 10:19pm We gave up Hickey for pick #39 AND still had to give them pick #60?

Think about this last year we gave Port Adelaide pick #23 for Logan. Yep that amazing backman who took the best and fairest by storm. That's not to say he can't or won't improve but HE was worth pick #23 and he a seasoned and ready to start Ruckman reaps pick #39? They had good picks to give what about pick #22?

I will bet anyone on here if Hickey stays healthy he plays like the beast he is just like how we tossed aside so many seasoned rucks like Everitt and Mcevoy ( yes we got the brownlow medalst Dunstan at pick #18 and we are all better off not having a reliable, future captain and solid big man - one of the best, to tap to our troupe of Dunstan like slow moving mids).

Everitt he too was rubbish too rowdy trade him off so he can become all Australian elsewhere

Now Hickey hasn't achieved what either of these two did at Saints but he can now, we know Natinui cant stay fit and Hickey joins the premiers, they must be suckers! We got them good!
Hickey was bagged by many posters on Saintsational so interesting there is now some love he is leaving.

At 27 years old he is not Everitt who had been all australian for us or McEvoy who was touted as future captain and was superior around the ground but struggled with tap-outs.

I like Hickey but he is only worth pick 39. He is nowhere near either Everitt's or McEvoy's league which is why he is only worth a later pick.
You didn't broach the central questionL
Hickey for 39
Logan for 23
We swapped our 2018 3rd round pick (currently 42) for Logan and Ports 4th round pick (currently 61).

chico2001
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 14 Oct 2018 11:39am

I think Lethlean has been quoted as using the word "enhancement" to describe the strategy they were taking towards list management this year, and so far, going by all trade events it looks like the club has followed that strategy. And also there hasn't been one player who has asked to be traded that I can recall?

Most pundits have said there is a good core of talent at the club, David King being one that springs to mind, Hanneberry being another.
Enhancement means improvement so would'nt that be expected......a given.........a f****cking monty. Now we have got a dud like lethlen getting a pats on the back already for following a strategy which a 10 year could develop. He has a shedful of money to spend , the club is coming off a low base and he is backed by that other tan tracker...mclacklin. One would expect "enhancement" wouldnt one?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

There is a lot of truth in what you post here skeptic, old bean. Only the low hanging fruit has been cut, and a lot of those guys hardly played this year. If they are the only cuts the club makes then the impact on our team's fortunes won't improve drastically in the short term. Other posters have pointed out though, that the club may be waiting for interest from other clubs before making more cuts.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Try this: You don't offer new contracts or contract extensions to those who are not helping us win games. Not just players, coaches too. Let's be totally honest here - most of our wins in 2015-17 were due to Roo, Joey and Shinna's influence and leadership. Without them we've become a rudderless ship on Our Lady Of St. Kilda. I predicted this would be the case years ago and, sadly, it has come to fruition.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:29pm

Enhancement means improvement so would'nt that be expected......a given.........a f****cking monty. Now we have got a dud like lethlen getting a pats on the back already for following a strategy which a 10 year could develop. He has a shedful of money to spend , the club is coming off a low base and he is backed by that other tan tracker...mclacklin. One would expect "enhancement" wouldnt one?
You should have a chat to Mum about the sugar in your diet.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:43pm
Try this: You don't offer new contracts or contract extensions to those who are not helping us win games. Not just players, coaches too. Let's be totally honest here - most of our wins in 2015-17 were due to Roo, Joey and Shinna's influence and leadership. Without them we've become a rudderless ship on Our Lady Of St. Kilda. I predicted this would be the case years ago and, sadly, it has come to fruition.
yahoo Samurasaint has slashed his katana and cut to the chase
I agree with rogerfox that we have 5-6 players that have zero value to other clubs
But heres the rub - why should we keep them on
SO yeah we obviously shopped our rucks Hickey & Longer - but the only one with value was the one that had a contract. Which sadly means we will have to extend & pay the lonely one (hopefully it will only be 12moths)
And lethers - may I politely disagree with your assessment about only needing "enhancement" - when we are still 2-3 AAs short of a GF team

Seeya
chico2001
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:52pm

You can do better than that cant you..but then again............this one got me " most pundits have said there is a good core of talent at the club"..........David King ( he sprung to mind)...and a player who only signed up yesty.............but you have named only one pundit......most......would probably mean nearly all of Melbourne and the outlying districts. Try not to exaggerate....it's not a good look.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 10:18pm
Cairnsman wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 9:52pm

You can do better than that cant you..but then again............this one got me " most pundits have said there is a good core of talent at the club"..........David King ( he sprung to mind)...and a player who only signed up yesty.............but you have named only one pundit......most......would probably mean nearly all of Melbourne and the outlying districts. Try not to exaggerate....it's not a good look.
Does your Mum know you are up this late?

chico2001
Club Player

No need to get upset legend..

stonecold
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 10:17pm
I agree with rogerfox that we have 5-6 players that have zero value to other clubs
SO yeah we obviously shopped our rucks Hickey & Longer - but the only one with value was the one that had a contract. Which sadly means we will have to extend & pay the lonely one (hopefully it will only be 12moths)
And lethers - may I politely disagree with your assessment about only needing "enhancement" - when we are still 2-3 AAs short of a GF team
Only shopped one 'severely overpaid' Ruck around!!!!

Just another 'Bitchin Troll'!!!!!

At least get your facts right!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 10:17pm
We haven’t had an AA since 2014 (which was Roo).

We’re still 2-3 AAs short of even being a very good team, period.

Bad management is bad management
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 10:17pm I agree with rogerfox that we have 5-6 players that have zero value to other clubs
I said the opposite.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 11:31pm
Only shopped one 'severely overpaid' Ruck around!!!!

Just another 'Bitchin Troll'!!!!!

At least get your facts right!!!!!
signed sealed delivered
Longer got a contract yet?

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Tue 16 Oct 2018 6:09am
sunsaint wrote: Mon 15 Oct 2018 10:17pm I agree with rogerfox that we have 5-6 players that have zero value to other clubs
I said the opposite.
yes sorry you did - just quickly cross reading between your thread posts

Seeya
guitars4
Club Player

Pretty much same ol same ol failure to recruit the gun player we actually need . Haneberry's best is behind him & he is a slow inside mid . His experience will be handy & he was a gun in his day but unfortunately he is not the player he was.We don't need slow inside mids we have at least 5 already.Kent is more the type we need but he's hardly a super star. We tried hard but in the end came up with very little to what we actually need to get back to a competitive level IMO