Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Longer

We would have won by four goals if Hickey played.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Snapping and snarling, agressive, he looked after the little blokes and won us the game.

Gresh said after the match, that it was a set play between him & Billy.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 12:39am We would have won by four goals if Hickey played.

Doubt it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
To the top
SS Life Member

Just getting some feeds on what transpired on the Gold Coast today

IF the ruckman gave our mid fielders an arm chair Ride and dominated the contest, who did we play, how far behind were we and what did we win by against a side that has not kicked a final quarter goal in its last 4 games, games in which it has been pummelled without mercy?

Where did this dominant display evaporate to?

And his opponent had 40 hit outs, we are told against Austin by a Longer deciple

Fair dinkum

Talk about rose coloured glasses

We are in an time when the ruckmen representing the leading sides in the competition are registering 20 plus disposals per game

Longer will never compete with that therefore St Kilda will not be competitive - which brings us back to who we beat and by how much today

Mids also read opposing ruck performances

If they are reliant on a dominant ruckman exclusively then they are not up to standard

Longer is well short of rucking requirements in 2018

At the least Hickey can also impact on the field and that is the requirement

There is a reason St Kilda is where it is on the Premiership Table - and it starts with the Captain and Longer and certain others who are one dimensional

It is good to read of a win, finally but gee whiz look at the facts

The win was not exactly a percentage builder

Now to read what Sandringham do tomorrow

Blue skies here but we understand Melbourne may be a little different

And Oz deserved a point!!

realdeal
Club Player

I loved a couple of Longer taps but I certainly didnt like him tapping to the opposition for their first goal or the general lack of influence on the game..

Trade bait.... please..

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:56pm Our midfield were second to the ball last week- tonight first to the ball. Longer brings nothing around the ground and can't judge the flight of the ball in contested marking duels at all. Hickey still better value.

Kidding yourselves with this.

Don't choose a ruck at all then. Just get some dud tall utility to get some cheap kicks around the ground.

I'm going to watch that Longer to Gresham again tomorrow morning. Lucky that Longer ruckman bloke had no impact on the game....

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Longer had the odd nice hitout but overall, was beaten in his position.

GC still had 41 hitouts to the Saints 33 and Witts was named in the match report bests, whereas Longer wasn’t.

Bad management is bad management
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:50pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:25pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 11:07pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:58pm
CURLY wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:43pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:29pm Didn’t appear better or worse than the ruckwork we’ve had for most of the year, and did nothing around the ground. We won the clearances against WCE, so I’m not too excited about beating what appears to be the worst clearance team in the comp.

Witts best him today, and he’s no world beater himself.

AFL footballers need to be able to get a kick around the ground.
This proves you have no idea at all.
:roll:

I think it’s passed your bedtime old-timer

We were dominate in the clearances and it was on the back of Longers tap work. That last quarter when he kept clearing to Steven in the middle was match winning. But if you want a couple of uncontested marks more good luck to you.
He had a couple of good taps during the game, just as Witts did, and just as every ruckman does in every game. Witts beat him in almost every stat, whether hitouts or disposals, including 5 inside 50s to 1.

We overran a team that hasn’t scored a 4th quarter goal in the last month.

Billy didn’t win one contest around the ground, he halved some and lost some, and was never even a threat of contributing in the forward line.

He can only contribute in one very narrow part of the game, and he’s not even overly impressive at that, which isn’t good enough in 2018.

Let’s see how he goes next game against a decent ruckman and midfield.
What crap your clutching at straws. Billy was dominant in the ruck with his hit outs. The last to Gresh winning us the game. Witts is no mug and got his numbers up rucking against Austin and co. Longer was easily the winner in the ruck and in the end the difference.
Not according to the match report. Witts in GC’s bests, whereas no mention of Longer in the Saint’s.

Bad management is bad management
spert
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 3:09am
spert wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:56pm Our midfield were second to the ball last week- tonight first to the ball. Longer brings nothing around the ground and can't judge the flight of the ball in contested marking duels at all. Hickey still better value.

Kidding yourselves with this.

Don't choose a ruck at all then. Just get some dud tall utility to get some cheap kicks around the ground.

I'm going to watch that Longer to Gresham again tomorrow morning. Lucky that Longer ruckman bloke had no impact on the game....
Live off it for the rest of the season?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 3:42am Longer had the odd nice hitout but overall, was beaten in his position.

GC still had 41 hitouts to the Saints 33 and Witts was named in the match report bests, whereas Longer wasn’t.
Longer 33 hit outs
StKilda 33 hit outs

Longer was easily better than Witts and in the end he won us the game.

portosaint
Club Player

Everyone living on that final Billy tap.

If it was a set play, as Gresh says, it was a crappy, poor percentage tap that only got to Gresham as a result of Steven being held. Bounced maybe 3 times before he got to it... Something Big Billy had no control over in the end.

Be realistic guys, he had some great taps during the game.. That wasn't one of them.

The goal however..

takeaway
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:33am Everyone living on that final Billy tap.

If it was a set play, as Gresh says, it was a crappy, poor percentage tap that only got to Gresham as a result of Steven being held. Bounced maybe 3 times before he got to it... Something Big Billy had no control over in the end.

Be realistic guys, he had some great taps during the game.. That wasn't one of them.

The goal however..
You'll get to know, when you gain some football knowledge, that in the forward line when it is packed with players and scores close, the aim of a ruckman is to at least get it in space and away from the pack, to give the small forwards a chance and stop the opposition causing another stoppage.

Gresh and Steven knew where it was going, and were heading there, and one of them got it. That's why Gresh said it was a set play. I think if you were able to ask the mids who they would prefer in the ruck they would say Longer. At least there will be a real contest every ball up. We won the clearances all game, and our lack of cohesion going forward was hardly due to Longer. His ruck play was very good all game, and he was vital in the last in a number of plays.

portosaint
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:13am
portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 8:33am Everyone living on that final Billy tap.

The goal however..
You'll get to know, when you gain some football knowledge, that in the forward line when it is packed with players and scores close, the aim of a ruckman is to at least get it in space and away from the pack, to give the small forwards a chance and stop the opposition causing another stoppage.

Gresh and Steven knew where it was going, and were heading there, and one of them got it. That's why Gresh said it was a set play. I think if you were able to ask the mids who they would prefer in the ruck they would say Longer. At least there will be a real contest every ball up. We won the clearances all game, and our lack of cohesion going forward was hardly due to Longer. His ruck play was very good all game, and he was vital in the last in a number of plays.
Gain some football knowledge?

I believe I said that his tap work was great.

But, if you are relying on that goal being kicked to win the match, you will inevitably lose more than you win.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:30am

The goal however..

But, if you are relying on that goal being kicked to win the match, you will inevitably lose more than you win.
Yeah I’m sure Port didn’t accept the win last year when Ryder tapped to Gray.

portosaint
Club Player

Haha! Watch the replays... That Ryder tap was sublime. Chalk and cheese!

Don't get your knickers in a knot ladies... It was low percentage, and not a great tap.

Bereft of highlights this year I guess.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:55am Haha! Watch the replays... That Ryder tap was sublime. Chalk and cheese!

Don't get your knickers in a knot ladies... It was low percentage, and not a great tap.

Longer cleared the ball to space in a perfect set play.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Longer was good at stoppages. Really good.

He was influencial.

His lack of possessions is a problem for the club though, as his competition for the no. 1 ruck spot is the opposite - gets the pill around the ground, but gets beaten up in contests.

We're a man short when Longer plays to some extent.

I think our over posession from clearances is the issue. We seem too desperate to find an open player, and as a result go backwards with handball and over posess it.

As a result, the opposition have that little bit of extra time to prepare for the incoming kick.

I think they might have addressed that in the last quarter last night, as they seemed to be scrambling it forward with real intent. It looked a bit scrappy, but I preferred it. It out more pressure on them defensively.

takeaway
Club Player

portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:55am Haha! Watch the replays... That Ryder tap was sublime. Chalk and cheese!

Ryder's tap was great, but it was further out, no player scrum, and a boundary throw in.

Of course Billy's tap was low percentage, but what else could he do with about 30 players around? It worked!

Anyway, it is not just about that tap - there were a lot of others, especially in the centre. Billy has his faults, but he is our best option. Be good to get Marshall going as well.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:46am
portosaint wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 9:30am

The goal however..

Yeah I’m sure Port didn’t accept the win last year when Ryder tapped to Gray.
And who was Ryder rucking against that day?

I would also love to see the ‘hitouts to advantage’ stats from last night but I’m not sure where to find them.

Again, let’s see how he goes next game against an actual quality ruckman and midfield.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Need to try and trade Longer at the end of the season if possible.

However i doubt any club would be interested

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sat 16 Jun 2018 10:29pm Didn’t appear better or worse than the ruckwork we’ve had for most of the year, and did nothing around the ground. We won the clearances against WCE, so I’m not too excited about beating what appears to be the worst clearance team in the comp.

Dud by name,dud by nature

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:43am Need to try and trade Longer at the end of the season if possible.

However i doubt any club would be interested

Geelong for one would want him. Anyone with a football brain knows how good he is in the ruck.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 10:47am

Dud by name,dud by nature
That’s a bit harsh on Billy!

You sound a bit grumpy, did yesterday’s game cause you to miss the earlybird dinner?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
SydneySainter wrote: Sun 17 Jun 2018 3:42am Longer had the odd nice hitout but overall, was beaten in his position.

Longer 33 hit outs
StKilda 33 hit outs

Longer was easily better than Witts and in the end he won us the game.
Is there a point to that?

For what it’s worth:
Witts 40 hitouts
Suns 41 hitouts

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We won the clearances because we had the better clearance/inside players.
At one stage of the game, the commentators were baffled as there were only 3 hitouts to advantage - and yet we had 20 or so more clearances.
They had the better outside players - quick slim bodied types - but we had the bigger bodied inside players who dominated the clearances.
Despite our clearance dominance, their outside players caused us headaches for three quarters.
We obviously need to recruit classy outside midfielders.

95% of Clearances are as a result of the clearance players, themselves. That’s why we won the clearances vs NicNat - it wasn’t because of Hickey.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 17 Jun 2018 11:26am, edited 3 times in total.