If The Dogs Can Do It. So Can We

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Re: If The Dogs Can Do It. So Can We

SainterSan wrote:
We need to be honest with ourselves, St Kilda is now rock bottom of the list of Victorian teams with even the Dogs having more premierships. We also have the smallest membership three years running. The club needs success NOW or we may not survive. But if we can get the next flag in a hurry we'll be elevated off the bottom and on our way to being a legitimate footy power. I believe St Kilda will do a Hawthorn and dominate an entire decade ... when though I have no idea. We just need that next premiership to create the belief we need to take off.

That's just not true.

I don't agree with this sentiment at all.

No club is going to not survive. The AFL is a business, they make money from people watching footy. The more footy games, the more people watching - more money from TV. Half the teams lose money every year. But the AFL makes s*** loads.

Clubs losing money doesn't matter. A club losing money, is worth far more to the AFL than one less game a week.

Being a 'power club' is a myth. What does it even mean? What is the relevance? How does it help? We played in successive GFs with non money and members. The Bulldogs just won one.

The AFL has been very even, with all clubs getting a go at the top.

This whole 'my club is richer than yours!' thing that the AFL marketing guys dreamt up, is just that - marketing. It's irrelevant. It's basically emotional blackmail designed to keep people financially and emotionally involved. Like the whole Coke vs. Pepsi marketing thing that sucked people in.