Standalone VFL team abandoned - Sandy/Moorabbin deal ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Standalone VFL team abandoned - Sandy/Moorabbin deal ...

Linton Lodger wrote:I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Nothing against a Women's team, but this was more important, far more important.

Geelong and Footscray are an example of the great benefits of having your own VFL team. Podsiadly would never have been an AFL player otherwise and that's just one example.

I'll use Arryn Sipposs as an example. In my view the kid had loads of potential, far more than say Tom Lynch (our version now at Adelaide). Perhaps his ability to do the work required or attitude were the reason for him not making it, however, having to miss Sandy games or play in their Development squad wouldn't have helped at all. Same goes for Spencer White & others, such as Holmes and indeed Lewis Pierce. A couple weeks ago Delaney was in the Development team and now he's catapulted into the senior team.

Are we to believe that Sandringham with their VFL/VFA history are just going to roll over and become the St Kilda Reserves team? That's what we need a Reserves team, where you're guaranteed a game if you don't make senior selection, playing the same systems on a reasonably sized ground.
Adelaide dont have a 'stand-alone' SANFL side and Tom Lynch is now a gun AFL player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The problem with Arryn Siposs is that we couldn't decide how to play him...
Came as ,ore a medium sized forward... Then we tried to turn him into BJ's replacement, then we tried to turn him into a mid, then a running HFF, then a small forward, then a HBF.

I don't think that was Sandy at all.

Dunnel was another one... Actually played a few games where he looked dangerous as a forward... Then we said, lets put him on a back flank and move him every few weeks.

I reckon the issue was more round our lack of direction in development rather than anything Sandy did wrong.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I have to say that I'm really disappointed. Nothing against a Women's team, but this was more important, far more important.

Geelong and Footscray are an example of the great benefits of having your own VFL team. Podsiadly would never have been an AFL player otherwise and that's just one example.

I'll use Arryn Sipposs as an example. In my view the kid had loads of potential, far more than say Tom Lynch (our version now at Adelaide). Perhaps his ability to do the work required or attitude were the reason for him not making it, however, having to miss Sandy games or play in their Development squad wouldn't have helped at all. Same goes for Spencer White & others, such as Holmes and indeed Lewis Pierce. A couple weeks ago Delaney was in the Development team and now he's catapulted into the senior team.

Are we to believe that Sandringham with their VFL/VFA history are just going to roll over and become the St Kilda Reserves team? That's what we need a Reserves team, where you're guaranteed a game if you don't make senior selection, playing the same systems on a reasonably sized ground.
Well the proposal is that there would be no limit on Saints players in the Sandringham team.

And I don't think Delaney actually played in the development league.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Some guys are just no good.

You can't polish a turd, as they say.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Regardless if you are for or against this, does anyone know if the club has officially announced this to members and supporters i.e. on the website or by direct mail?

If not, it's ducking.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

if a player isnt as good as a vfl listed player and cant get a game... he's a long way off....

Siposs was just not there athletically for his size 189cm and he only played Sandy two's a few times... returning from injury
injuries are what actually did him