Team defence was tight...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barneyboyz
Club Player

Re: Team defence was tight...

Defence was always going to be the last piece of the puzzle, especially having lost JC for the year. Problem has been our ability to push some really good sides this year (nobody could have expected that), where we should have probably been flogged by the Hawks, GWS and Port (and been worst off than Bummers).

I certainly expect that Goddard should play some footy this year, and it may pan out that he plays plenty through the latter part. my earlier point simply meant that our coach needs to see some things from him at a lower level (and others i.e. Blake, Paddy and Lee), and also that it is easier to teach that at VFL.

The popular thought is that we'll pick up mids through F/A this (or next) year, but maybe a cheaper, less risky target(s) could be defenders and get the best mids through the draft

Barney

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
degruch
Saintsational Legend

New back line players will get their shot in time (probably starting over the next month or so), but the development we've seen in the forward line and midfields would not have been possible with the entire team in a state of flux.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:New back line players will get their shot in time (probably starting over the next month or so), but the development we've seen in the forward line and midfields would not have been possible with the entire team in a state of flux.
Yeah because its been so terrible to get Paddy, Membrey, Gresham, Ross, Sinclair, Lonie in the team. Boy we've gone backwards at a rate of knots with those guys bringing in youth and energy and enthusiasm. And having Lee in the team against Hawthorn the premiers pushed us right back where we got a thrashing...oh hang on no we almost won against Hawks and Tommy Lee pumped the ball in with great penetration at the end to give Paddy his almost match winning amazing mark.

Its so easy to say "Oh we would be in flux without a Dempster or a Fisher". It's pure hypothetical that you are safe saying. You know what, lets go crazy and give it a whirl one week. My guess is the world won't end and we won't be on the end of a 100 pt thrashing. Because the big improvement has been from the energy and enthusiasm and aggressive attitude of our young players.

And Richo's strong system that they are using at Sandy as well, means players know what to do when the go into the big dance. With Geary, Monty, Gilbo, Roberton and just one of Demps or Fish you have tonnes of experience on the back line. Now is not the time to get too conservative. If he wants his players to play with dare and energy, he needs to provide a team on all line that backs that up. I thin being a defender himself, Richo is playing it too safe on the backline.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Yeah because its been so terrible to get Paddy, Membrey, Gresham, Ross, Sinclair, Lonie in the team. Boy we've gone backwards at a rate of knots with those guys bringing in youth and energy and enthusiasm.
What, could this be sarcasm???

When raising a counterpoint it's always handy to have the opposite point of view...in this case you're just agreeing with me that without the backline nailed down it wouldn't have been possible to accelerate development of all the players you've listed?