2 games clear of Freo after 6 rounds!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 2 games clear of Freo after 6 rounds!

It's never boring to win. But yeah in general - to my eye, shutdown play is boring.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Tanking.

Absolutely.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
freely wrote:I think the reason Lyon gets to me is this. He was a good coach for us insofar as he found a way for us to win games. But the players were subjugated to the method. He inherited this fantastic list but instead of encouraging them to play to their strengths and finding a style that suited the team, they all had to play the Ross Lyon way. With the result that we were deprived of seeing just how exciting those players were capable of being. The games were bug ugly week after week. It was wonderful to win! But we all know it was horrible to watch - we just hoped that somehow out of that relentless slog, they'd somehow grind out a flag. But given that it didn't happen, it's almost like having lost a whole generation of St Kilda players in a war! - we'll just never know how exciting it could have been to see all those guys that came through together playing with the energy and flair they were capable of - Lenny, Kosi, Reiwoldt, Ball, Milney, Montagna, Goddard, Nicky Dal... I wish I could have seen them all flourishing under someone like Richardson - but now we never will. And I feel like Ross Lyon stole that from me. I said in some other post that every team needs role players - but in Lyon's team, every player is a role player. Such a waste.
It wasn't horrible to watch in 2009 when we averaged 15 goals a game and kept the opposition to 5.

We were top 4 in the competition for attack.

Riewoldt kicked nearly 80 goals in 2009, Kosi 50, Milne 50. Was it boring with 3 forwards kicking big bags?

Hardly role players...
Thats great but what about 2010? That's when the Eddy/McQualter Syndrome kicked in big time.

Then 2011 the bastard just ground us down like a coffee bean.

Luckily the AFL have introduced the 90 interchange cap to totally screw up Lyon's gameplan. He's snookered now.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Lyon ruined McQualter as a player- he was a very good roving/ small forward player when he came to us, then Lyon tried to gradually turn him into a defensive drone.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Legendary wrote:
freely wrote:I think the reason Lyon gets to me is this. He was a good coach for us insofar as he found a way for us to win games. But the players were subjugated to the method. He inherited this fantastic list but instead of encouraging them to play to their strengths and finding a style that suited the team, they all had to play the Ross Lyon way. With the result that we were deprived of seeing just how exciting those players were capable of being. The games were bug ugly week after week. It was wonderful to win! But we all know it was horrible to watch - we just hoped that somehow out of that relentless slog, they'd somehow grind out a flag. But given that it didn't happen, it's almost like having lost a whole generation of St Kilda players in a war! - we'll just never know how exciting it could have been to see all those guys that came through together playing with the energy and flair they were capable of - Lenny, Kosi, Reiwoldt, Ball, Milney, Montagna, Goddard, Nicky Dal... I wish I could have seen them all flourishing under someone like Richardson - but now we never will. And I feel like Ross Lyon stole that from me. I said in some other post that every team needs role players - but in Lyon's team, every player is a role player. Such a waste.
It wasn't horrible to watch in 2009 when we averaged 15 goals a game and kept the opposition to 5.

We were top 4 in the competition for attack.

Riewoldt kicked nearly 80 goals in 2009, Kosi 50, Milne 50. Was it boring with 3 forwards kicking big bags?

Hardly role players...
Spot on.

Lyon only went mega defensive in 2010 when Roo was hurt & playing Chips as a key forward didn't work. 2011 we lost Lenny early & the players (who were already cooked after 2 GF losses) also lost their spiritual leader.

It's easy to carry on with this Lyon is a dud rubbish but our list was nowhere near the most talented in both 09 & 10...yet he created a team that was a whisker away.

It's funny how the senior players from that era still love Ross but some supporters are totally blind to what he helped us get tantalisingly close to achieving.

Sucked in Freo BTW.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Of course the players aren't going to shop RL they went on a "wonderful journey" together
It would be like Roo blaming the two GF losses on our weakest player ~ never going to happen

I think if you go back through the games over those two years - the game plan didn't change much in roos absence
Rather our scores simply reflected we missed the 4-5 goals he brought to the game

Lyons philosophy was always to limit the opposition score and to kick one more goal It was always defensive mindset and averages you talk about were skewed by (i think) two 100 point wins while our mean score was something in the ballpark of 100 point games

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

And lets see what the shoot out kings do to freo this week

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not a genius

Not failed either

Good coach, good record

Clarkson
Great coach, 4 flags

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Let's not lionise Lyon just yet... he's just an AFL coach. Yes, he's coached 2 talented sides as a result of which he's got the % of wins you'd expect... no more no less.
The thing about all AFL coaches is there's always a "better" one around the corner.

lionise - assign great social importance to; "The film director was celebrated all over Hollywood"; "The tenor was lionised in Vienna"

saintly
Saintsational Legend

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-04/o ... s-new-deal

"FREMANTLE ruckman Aaron Sandilands is set to play on in 2017 after signing a one-year contract extension.

Sandilands, 33, has played 241 games for the club since debuting in 2003.".....

u wiykd gave thought they would go younger

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-04/o ... s-new-deal

"FREMANTLE ruckman Aaron Sandilands is set to play on in 2017 after signing a one-year contract extension.

Sandilands, 33, has played 241 games for the club since debuting in 2003.".....

u wiykd gave thought they would go younger
Lyon is having trouble understanding your post

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.