Questions re Richo's ability

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Questions re Richo's ability

Among the matters that concerned me last weekend were the positioning of Montagna as a "quarter back" where he just does not have the size or the game to play such a role and the usage of Bruce in the ruck, where he is wasted because he should be a positional player including an ability to play in defence as and when required.

In my view we have to play both Hickey and Longer, with Hickey also deployed forward looking for a mis-match given his marking ability.

We need to make sure that every strength we have remains a strength and is not deployed to "other duties".

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:
In my view we have to play both Hickey and Longer, with Hickey also deployed forward looking for a mis-match given his marking ability.

We need to make sure that every strength we have remains a strength and is not deployed to "other duties".
I've been thinking about this myself.

Does this require Paddy to be dropped? To me, the answer to that is a yes unless your running Roo up the ground or Hickey behind play whilst Longer/Holmes is in the ruck.

I think Paddy has to play

longtimesaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
To the top wrote:

I've been thinking about this myself.

Does this require Paddy to be dropped? To me, the answer to that is a yes unless your running Roo up the ground or Hickey behind play whilst Longer/Holmes is in the ruck.

I think Paddy has to play
They won't drop Paddy after one game -he needs to get some continuity.
Acres should come in for Gresham who needs to get his games in the VFL.
We really need another tall defender maybe Goddard or Lee as they have Cloke and Moore.
Not sure who would make way.

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Paddy simply has to play. Give him 5 in a row and then make an assessment.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think its a matter of trying to get the main style of game plan embedded throughout the whole club before a plan B & C can be implemented - although they can obviously still pull some tactical moves. The young players will still be learning basics of where to run, defence v attack etc. Once we get our young guys upto the 50 game mark you might see them try more complex things including different game styles. My gut says Richo has some tactical smarts but you need the cattle to pull it off. Maybe it was just players not being able or focused enough to do what was asked. Tony said Sinclair was dropped because he needed to guard his man closer on defence. Some of those little guys are quick over 10m but struggle to keep up with a long striding rangey running back.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

lefty wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree but we dont have the personnel to run with the footy out of our defence. Joey does it a bit but is always looking for the dinky '1-2' (the Trent Cotchin special) to get his stats up. Savage used to do it but he now just goes backwards every time he gets it. We need D-Mac in the side. Newnes should be switched permanently to defence and Webster needs to lift his game. The rest are useless.
I agree that Newnes should be back in defense, I think he is better suited there.

I also think Geary should play on the wing or midfield. I know he doesn't have the best skills, but I will never question his commitment and effort, and from all reports he has the biggest tank at the club, so I'd much rather see him on the wing or in the midfield giving it a go. Sometimes I just feel we need Geary's intensity around the ground/contest and I can't really see the downside of at least giving it a go.
Agreed. Geary to midfield. Use his greatest strength in running and 100% commitment.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
lefty wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Agree but we dont have the personnel to run with the footy out of our defence. Joey does it a bit but is always looking for the dinky '1-2' (the Trent Cotchin special) to get his stats up. Savage used to do it but he now just goes backwards every time he gets it. We need D-Mac in the side. Newnes should be switched permanently to defence and Webster needs to lift his game. The rest are useless.
I agree that Newnes should be back in defense, I think he is better suited there.

I also think Geary should play on the wing or midfield. I know he doesn't have the best skills, but I will never question his commitment and effort, and from all reports he has the biggest tank at the club, so I'd much rather see him on the wing or in the midfield giving it a go. Sometimes I just feel we need Geary's intensity around the ground/contest and I can't really see the downside of at least giving it a go.
Agreed. Geary to midfield. Use his greatest strength in running and 100% commitment.
I have to say that I agree with these comments.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
saynta wrote:
St Chris wrote:
Thank god Saintsational doesn't run the club. We've played twice and we already would have delisted half the list, and sacked the coach.
Amen brother. And Lenny, Armo and a couple of others wouldn't have been given a second year.

The negative s*** really wears me down.
How so - point me to one post that someone has called for a 1st year player to be de-listed? Straw man.
I also havent seen anyone want to sack the coach.

Not even a microwaved membership yet. Although the club accidentally sent me two membership cards this year - so i do have a spare 'microwaveable' one if required :D
Are you calling me a straw man?

I'm talking about over the years when a lot of so called "supporters" have put s*** on our younger player.

Just like the are putting s*** on Paddy now and Ross the past two years.

Geary cops a flogging almost every week.

You feeling guilty or something. Surely you are not blind to all the negative s*** posted on this forum?
Last edited by saynta on Thu 07 Apr 2016 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:
saynta wrote:
St Chris wrote:
Thank god Saintsational doesn't run the club. We've played twice and we already would have delisted half the list, and sacked the coach.
Amen brother. And Lenny, Armo and a couple of others wouldn't have been given a second year.

The negative s*** really wears me down.

and tell me where anyone has said sack the coach

it's about having a conversation about what us as members and supporters see each week

and frankly why shouldn't we be a little negative

we were awful on Saturday and it is a natural reaction
I never said anyone did ffs.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Its obvious where Richo is going with the game plan and its solid. The team still have to master it.

I liked the way they move the ball like lightening by hand. Its nowhere near perfect now, but they are not doing it too badly and they will get better at it. Their new challenge this year is to deliver precisely by foot. That was shambolic against The Dogs, but they'll get there. Remember the great majority of our list haven't hit the 40-50 game mark.

Two losses and many hystericals here are questioning our recruiting and now our Coach!

Sure The Dogs have recruited well (although the Boyd deal is a catastrophe in the making in regard to their list management going forward) but so have we, without doing an insane Boyd like deal.

And Richo is a fine Coach and a good smart leader.

Let's not repeat history and panic. For the first time in a while we have both a good administration and footy department.