McCartin signs 2 year contract extension

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: McCartin signs 2 year contract extension

ripplug66 wrote:He has had it since he was 6 years old for a start and then played under 18's football for at least 2 years. They would have done so much research into it before he even got to AFL level. The stuff you bothered to look up doesn't mean anything. Its just telling us what is required all of which McCartin would have done many years ago. I lived with a guy who found out he had Diabetes just 5 months before he played footy. He struggled for about 3 to 4 months but once the doctors worked out everything it had bugger effect on his footy. McCartin had had diabetes for 12 years before he was drafted so forget the cut and paste and give factual examples as I have given you.
30% load in his first pre-season sounds damn low to me. Managing his condition in part-time U18's with games and training spaced out is very, very, very different to full-time AFL intensity. Obviously the club feels his diabetes can be managed otherwise they wouldn't have used pick 1 on the big guy. But that doesn't mean they just say "Its all good - lets just go for it with him". I've heard quite a few people say that AFL footy is one of the most grueling sports on the planets. Each week you run half a marathon, and mixed in that is a lot of sprinting, tackling, going down, getting up, jumping up, kicking and handpassing requiring a lot of exertion. Each year the running requirements go up. Its pushing the boundaries of what the human body can do. And Paddy is a big chunk of a lad. There is just not a lot of case history at this level of AFL with diabetes for a big guy and they are taking it step by step so nothing catches them off-guard. That's smart. Well done club. Well done Paddy.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
I think the inside person on this board (forget their name) mentioned Paddy had an "episode" and he's been getting a handle on where his limits are currently.
Bluthy, you'll find that inside person is 'tony74' . I recall on the thread 'Paddys endurance', he mentioned something along the lines that this pre-season Paddy had pushed himself too hard sometimes and had an episode. And that Paddy was starting to understand what his changing limits were to control things. Or words to that effect.

I can recall that thread because of the discussion that went on about % Paddy had improved. Some of it related to body fat, muscle development and endurance improvement % he had made.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: They would have done so much research into it I've heard quite a few people say that AFL footy is one of the most grueling sports on the planets. Each week you run half a marathon, and mixed in that is a lot of sprinting, tackling, going down, getting up, jumping up, kicking and handpassing requiring a lot of exertion.
Agree it's got to be one of the most endurance demanding sports on the planet. As well as all that there's the physical bumps, collisions, tackling etc..

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:He has had it since he was 6 years old for a start and then played under 18's football for at least 2 years. They would have done so much research into it I've heard quite a few people say that AFL footy is one of the most grueling sports on the planets. Each week you run half a marathon, and mixed in that is a lot of sprinting, tackling, going down, getting up, jumping up, kicking and handpassing requiring a lot of exertion.
Agree it's got to be one of the most endurance demanding sports on the planet. As well as all that there's the physical bumps, collisions, tackling etc..
That is a confusing method of quoting, SB. First sentence and a bit what ripplug66 wrote. The rest of the paragraph is what Bluthy wrote and it's all attributed to the former. ????????

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:He has had it since he was 6 years old for a start and then played under 18's football for at least 2 years. They would have done so much research into it I've heard quite a few people say that AFL footy is one of the most grueling sports on the planets. Each week you run half a marathon, and mixed in that is a lot of sprinting, tackling, going down, getting up, jumping up, kicking and handpassing requiring a lot of exertion.
That is a confusing method of quoting, SB. First sentence and a bit what ripplug66 wrote. The rest of the paragraph is what Bluthy wrote and it's all attributed to the former. ????????

Fixed it.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:He has had it since he was 6 years old for a start and then played under 18's football for at least 2 years. They would have done so much research into it before he even got to AFL level. The stuff you bothered to look up doesn't mean anything. Its just telling us what is required all of which McCartin would have done many years ago. I lived with a guy who found out he had Diabetes just 5 months before he played footy. He struggled for about 3 to 4 months but once the doctors worked out everything it had bugger effect on his footy. McCartin had had diabetes for 12 years before he was drafted so forget the cut and paste and give factual examples as I have given you.
30% load in his first pre-season sounds damn low to me. Managing his condition in part-time U18's with games and training spaced out is very, very, very different to full-time AFL intensity. Obviously the club feels his diabetes can be managed otherwise they wouldn't have used pick 1 on the big guy. But that doesn't mean they just say "Its all good - lets just go for it with him". I've heard quite a few people say that AFL footy is one of the most grueling sports on the planets. Each week you run half a marathon, and mixed in that is a lot of sprinting, tackling, going down, getting up, jumping up, kicking and handpassing requiring a lot of exertion. Each year the running requirements go up. Its pushing the boundaries of what the human body can do. And Paddy is a big chunk of a lad. There is just not a lot of case history at this level of AFL with diabetes for a big guy and they are taking it step by step so nothing catches them off-guard. That's smart. Well done club. Well done Paddy.

Who said the club just say its all good. You said it would have effected his footy. I'm telling you it wouldn't. I even told you of an example of a person who just got diabetes and it only effected him for a small period. 30% load can sound low to you but it would have nothing to do with diabetes. Unless you can come up with an example I reckon you are just wasting words. At least I used an example.

And people will have episodes whether its year one or year 10. That is one of the things with diabetes. That wouldn't mean they would do less training in the year apart from probably the next day. 12 years of Diabetes for McCartin would mean he has his body diabetes wise right for any sport especially whn a gut I know found out about 4 months before he played his first game in senior footy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He would be.a better player without it.... That is obvious. If a persons blood sugar drops in a game and they need to medicate that can be a disruption. Or if there is a period where the levels have dropped below optimum levels and the player is unaware... This may only be momentarily but could definitely be detrimental to optimum performance for a short period.

Of course this can be quickly treated. But it's a game of moments.

I can tell you one thing
He would prefer not to be diebetic (hassle) and so would Stk. but thats not the case, so they have to live with it and manage it.

Real question is
Does his condition affect his output enough that he wasn't the best player from the 2014 draft. We obviously think that even with his condition he is still better than the others, and can still be an elite Key Forward in the AFL.
The condition can be managed to the point where Paddy is still completely effective, it's just a bit of an annoying disruption

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lockett had asthma as a child and was a chronic astma sufferer throughout his career. Would have he have been better wit it? Probably.

Some things goes for McCartin. He may be better without it, but he is good enough with it. He has it. We recruited him based on wat he showed with it, and assessed his bvalue based on this. So just accept it as an irrelevancy except that he and the club have to manage his condition.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Lockett had asthma as a child and was a chronic astma sufferer throughout his career. Would have he have been better wit it? Probably.

Some things goes for McCartin. He may be better without it, but he is good enough with it. He has it. We recruited him based on wat he showed with it, and assessed his bvalue based on this. So just accept it as an irrelevancy except that he and the club have to manage his condition.
Agree.

Lockett, as brilliant as he was, also suffered from loss of concentration and anger issues during his playing career.

Not every player can switch on for every minute of every quarter.

Paddy will be fine.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He would be.a better player without it.... That is obvious. If a persons blood sugar drops in a game and they need to medicate that can be a disruption. Or if there is a period where the levels have dropped below optimum levels and the player is unaware... This may only be momentarily but could definitely be detrimental to optimum performance for a short period.

Of course this can be quickly treated. But it's a game of moments.

I can tell you one thing
He would prefer not to be diebetic (hassle) and so would Stk. but thats not the case, so they have to live with it and manage it.

Real question is
Does his condition affect his output enough that he wasn't the best player from the 2014 draft. We obviously think that even with his condition he is still better than the others, and can still be an elite Key Forward in the AFL.
The condition can be managed to the point where Paddy is still completely effective, it's just a bit of an annoying disruption

Of course he would be better without it. Its a pain and also dangerous. He will be able to train normally with it.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Plugger didn't really run enough for his asthma to be of any effect... He was more susceptible to the weather than over exertion.

His anger issues also had the effect of intimidation... This possibly helped with his dominance over opposition.