#27 George Young on SEN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Re: #27 George Young on SEN

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Anybody here remember the day he kicked a bag against Collingwood at Victoria Park? We thrashed the legs of them and in the last quarter the Sherrin Stand was empty! One of my highlights barracking for the Saints in the 70s.

I didn't think that sounded right so I looked it up. he kicked a bag but Carman kicked more and we got beat. You must be thinking of another side.
Pretty sure it was at Moorabin to.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Plugger is definitely talking about a different game. I am definitely talking about a game at Collingwood in the 70s when we had Collingwood well beat in the final quarter and the Sherrin Stand behind the Collingwood Cheer Squad area was empty during the last quarter. It was a stark image for a 7 or 8 year old kid. Someone on here reckons it took place in 1976 - but it may have been a year or so earlier. It was probably when guys like Garry Colling and the Elliots were playing; that era.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Must have been a small bag - he kicked 2 that day. Gary Lofts kicked 5. It was 1976. Collingwood finished last, our fate the following year.

Wow - great memory. If we won that match, then that was the day. Maybe it was Lofts I was thinking of. I was only 8, but that day at Vic Park stands out in my mind. Gary Lofts was another player we never hear of these days. He had a brother who played for us too, didn't he?
Not in the firsts.

Wes Lofts played for Carlton though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:
perfectionist wrote:Must have been a small bag - he kicked 2 that day. Gary Lofts kicked 5. It was 1976. Collingwood finished last, our fate the following year.

Wow - great memory. If we won that match, then that was the day. Maybe it was Lofts I was thinking of. I was only 8, but that day at Vic Park stands out in my mind. Gary Lofts was another player we never hear of these days. He had a brother who played for us too, didn't he?
Not in the firsts.

Yes it was Gary Lofts. He kicked 5 and Young kicked 2 and we won by 17 points. The best place for these type of stats is AFL tables.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

No brother that I'm aware of but he had two stints at the Saints.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

It's not hard to guess from my name who my favourite player was.
The '76 to '78 era is still one of my fondest memories of the Saints and this topic is a big deal for me.

To put it it perspective A gave the eulogy at my father's funeral 2 years ago & finish with the Saint's song & placing the No 27 jumper over his coffin. It doesn't get any more real than that.

As for games, I was there the day that Carmen kicked 11 & our hero bagged 9, sad that we lost.
I also remember a wet cold day at Waverley where the Saints were well beaten by the Blues. We only kicked around 8 goals but George kicked 6 of them on Silvani & had him covered with talent all day.

Thanks for the journey Saint's supporters. This forum is a big part of my life but I'm generally silent as the rough & tumble is a bit much sometimes, but the occassional 'inside' word makes it worth it. Life is too short to bag our own.

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Nice story about your dad OGY.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
spert
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

I remember the game at Moorabbin in '75 where GY kicked 8 and Carmen kicked 11

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: I remember the game at Moorabbin in '75 where GY kicked 8 and Carmen kicked 11
Yep, as per my previous post, that was George's second game as full forward.

The previous week we played Footscray at the Western Oval. I think Alan Davis initially started as spearhead but had to go off and GY was moved from HFF. He kicked 9 and the Saints won. It was the first time I'd been to the footy and seen one of our players kick such a bag.

I was excited to saunter down to Linton Street the following Saturday to see if he could back it up. And he did with a lazy 8. Unfortunately the Pies beat us with Fabulous Phil kicking 11 and turning Barry Lawrence inside out in the process. If my memory's correct, it was the first time Carmen wore his white boots.

Disappointed as I was that the Saints had lost, I went home happy that I'd witnessed George Young kick 17 goals in the space of 8 calendar days Image

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

Not in the firsts.

Yes it was Gary Lofts. He kicked 5 and Young kicked 2 and we won by 17 points. The best place for these type of stats is AFL tables.
one of the few times I remember us winning there. Obviously, even though George only kicked a couple of goals he must have done well in general forward play, because his performance stood out.
I also saw us beat the 'Roys there in the mid 80s in a free scoring game in the rain and hail. I was standing on the wing and remember it being a high standard match especially considering the conditions.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.