Umpire treatment of our key forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Umpire treatment of our key forwards

do I sense conspiracy theory ?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Sinclair went to ground and was accidently kicked when a player tried to jump over him. Incidental contact. You could nearly argue it was a trip by Sinclair even if accidental. Play on would have been my call. Just unlucky it hurt him.
Hard to take you seriously Plugger66 when you make statements like this:

1. Sinclair was hit in the head, albeit accidental;
2. Head high contact is a free every day of the week.

How can you say the free was not there. I will accept that it was not seen and the umpire may have thought that Sinclair knocked himself out on the ground. That is in the cut and thrust of the battle - win some - lose some.

But in the cold light of day (evening), how can you possibly say that this was not a free - incidental contact above the shoulder is still a free each and every time.

Please explain where my logic is wrong??????

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

it was a free that the Ump missed

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The first thing they need to do starting next round is get rid of the bounce for good. It's become embarrassing and outdated.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

keep the bounce

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:it was a free that the Ump missed
How convenient, the umpire misses a player kicked in the head 10 metres out from goal.

Dont buy it.If three umpires dont see a player kicked in the head, all three are totally incompetent and should be dropped to country football.

It was an appalling decision. Absolutley no excuse.

If I can see it from a 100 metres away clearly, why could three umpires not see it.

It was just appalling. When has kicking a player in the head been play on? Maybe when it is a free to the Saints in front of goal.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
How convenient, the umpire misses a player kicked in the head 10 metres out from goal.

Dont buy it.If three umpires dont see a player kicked in the head, all three are totally incompetent and should be dropped to country football.

If I can see it from a 100 metres away clearly, why could three umpires not see it.

It was just appalling. When has kicking a player in the head been play on? Maybe when it is a free to the Saints in front of goal.
Why wasn't it a trip to the Freo player? And did you think Goddard should have got a free for the elbow to the head and had to come off with the blood rule.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Why wasn't it a trip to the Freo player? And did you think Goddard should have got a free for the elbow to the head and had to come off with the blood rule.
You joking aren't you? Sinclair got kicked in the head and you reckon it is a free for a trip? Are you just trolling. It was high contact, but it was ten metres out in front and only frees went to Freo in that position.

Answer me P66, is kicking a player in the head a free kick? Yes or No?

Didn't see the hit on Goddard. ant comment. Did see Sinclair get kicked in the head so I can.
Last edited by Bunk_Moreland on Sun 09 Aug 2015 10:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Lol a trip to the Freo player your a joke. Next thing you'll ask why Staker was never reported for head butting Halls fist.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Lol a trip to the Freo player your a joke. Next thing you'll ask why Staker was never reported for head butting Halls fist.
Plugger66 is obviously trolling, nobody could argue that a player kicked in the head is tripping the player, that is just plain idiocy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

You joking aren't you? Sinclair got kicked in the head and you reckon it is a free for a trip? Are you just trolling. It was high contact, but it was ten metres out in front and only frees went to Freo in that position.

Didn't see the hit on Goddard. ant comment. Did see Sinclair get kicked in the head so I can.

I asked a simple question. Why wasn't it a free for tripping? I don't think that should ever be paid as a trip but I also don't think incidental contact should have been paid as a free to us. Play on was the correct call. Unfortunately it hurt Sinclair. How did you miss the Goddard hit. He went down and and had to come off under the blood rule.

Now can you explain why it isn't tripping against Sinclair.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Why wasn't it a trip to the Freo player?
I am only talking the contact with Sinclair - which you obviously see as not high contact, as high contact is a free kick.

In answer to your quoted question - Quite simple - Sinclair was playing the ball - the Freo player was running in for the spoil - jumped to avoid contact - kneed Sinclair in the head.

Like saying the person who gets hit from behind because he stops for a child on the street is the instigator of an accident if someone runs into them from behind.

I have enjoyed our discussions in the past - but you have shown that you are beyond arguing with - I am reminded of the advise I was once told - 'Never argue with an idiot - they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience'

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

I asked a simple question. Why wasn't it a free for tripping? I don't think that should ever be paid as a trip but I also don't think incidental contact should have been paid as a free to us. Play on was the correct call. Unfortunately it hurt Sinclair. How did you miss the Goddard hit. He went down and and had to come off under the blood rule.

Now can you explain why it isn't tripping against Sinclair.
A player being kicked in the head is a free kick. It wasn't "incidental" as Sinclair was off the field for 20 minutes.

it was high and apparently the head is sacrosanct doesn't matter if it is accidental or not. A high hit is a high hit, except of course when a 19 y.o is blatantly kicked in the head 10 metres out for goal.

Of course you are so right P66. When has high contact ever been a free kick. Troll :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Why wasn't it a trip to the Freo player?
I am only talking the contact with Sinclair - which you obviously see as not high contact, as high contact is a free kick.

In answer to your quoted question - Quite simple - Sinclair was playing the ball - the Freo player was running in for the spoil - jumped to avoid contact - kneed Sinclair in the head.

Like saying the person who gets hit from behind because he stops for a child on the street is the instigator of an accident if someone runs into them from behind.

I have enjoyed our discussions in the past - but you have shown that you are beyond arguing with - I am reminded of the advise I was once told - 'Never argue with an idiot - they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience'

Good stuff SD. Plenty of players play the ball and get frees against them especially when they go low down and a player goes over the top of them. They get to the ball first and touch it but still get the free against for tripping. As I said I never want the free against want Sinclair did but I also don't want a free for that incidental contact to him. Its funny that no one seems to have seen the Goddard play when Goddard was elbowed in the head. Did you see it?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
So plugger, a serious question.
The umpire was right there - there didn't appear to be anybody between him and the 2 players - how on earth did he not see Walters jump into Sinclair?
(I can accept the earlier one where Sinclair got kicked in the head was not clearly visible at the time to the umpires.)
Well the other one wasn't a free anyway and how can I answer the first part. I said it was a mistake.
Why wasn't the other one a free kick?
If I accidentally trip an opponent it's a free kick
If I accidentally touch a player above the shoulder it's a free kick
If I accidentally touch an opponent from the front in a marking contest it's a free kick
Why isn't an accidental kick to the head a free kick?

BTW I reckon the MRP will look at Walters' hit on Sinclair and he may well be 'cited' for that.
Should Goddard have got a free for being elbowed in the head and then went off with the blood rule? Sinclair went to ground and was accidently kicked when a player tried to jump over him. Incidental contact. You could nearly argue it was a trip by Sinclair even if accidental. Play on would have been my call. Just unlucky it hurt him.

Couldn't give a rats if Walters is cited or not.
No technically it should have been a free kick for a kick in the head, the duty of care is to avoid hitting a player high, the moment he chose to jump him then kicked him it should have been a free kick. I hope my boy doesn't get you umpiring his games in a few years. A free for tripping with his head WTF are you drinking?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Its funny that no one seems to have seen the Goddard play when Goddard was elbowed in the head. Did you see it?
Why is it funny? I didn't see it pure and simple, but I did see Sinclair get kicked in the head 10 metres out and the umpires, all three apparently only think some kicks in the head, or only sometimes high contact is worth giving a free kick for.

Apparently a 19 y.o. kid getting kicked in the head 10 metres out from goal is definately not a free.

Kick his head off next time, because according to you it is only high when it suite the umpires.

FFS how you can argue this point is incredibly. You are obviously just trolling because nobody could be this ridiculous.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
No technically it should have been a free kick for a kick in the head, the duty of care is to avoid hitting a player high, the moment he chose to jump him then kicked him it should have been a free kick. I hope my boy doesn't get you umpiring his games in a few years. A free for tripping with his head WTF are you drinking?
The guy is either pissed, has totally lost it or is just trolling. How a kick in the head is not a free kick is beyond belief.

Personally I think he is just baiting, but it is the most stupidist argument I have heard on here and that is saying something.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
So plugger, a serious question.
The umpire was right there - there didn't appear to be anybody between him and the 2 players - how on earth did he not see Walters jump into Sinclair?
(I can accept the earlier one where Sinclair got kicked in the head was not clearly visible at the time to the umpires.)
Well the other one wasn't a free anyway and how can I answer the first part. I said it was a mistake.
Why wasn't the other one a free kick?
If I accidentally trip an opponent it's a free kick
If I accidentally touch a player above the shoulder it's a free kick
If I accidentally touch an opponent from the front in a marking contest it's a free kick
Why isn't an accidental kick to the head a free kick?

BTW I reckon the MRP will look at Walters' hit on Sinclair and he may well be 'cited' for that.
Should Goddard have got a free for being elbowed in the head and then went off with the blood rule? Sinclair went to ground and was accidently kicked when a player tried to jump over him. Incidental contact. You could nearly argue it was a trip by Sinclair even if accidental. Play on would have been my call. Just unlucky it hurt him.

Couldn't give a rats if Walters is cited or not.

What about Goddard when he was elbowed in the head and went off with the blood rule? And you can trip with any part of your body by the way. if you slide in for the ball and a player falls over your head and accidentally kicks you in the head then the free goes to the player who fell over your head and kicked you in the head. You do get that don't you? As for your boy I will have no issue with him but I hope I don't get you watching. You will be telling me about a friends cousins wifes daughter.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Its funny that no one seems to have seen the Goddard play when Goddard was elbowed in the head. Did you see it?
Why is it funny? I didn't see it pure and simple, but I did see Sinclair get kicked in the head 10 metres out and the umpires, all three apparently only think some kicks in the head, or only sometimes high contact is worth giving a free kick for.

Apparently a 19 y.o. kid getting kicked in the head 10 metres out from goal is definately not a free.

Kick his head off next time, because according to you it is only high when it suite the umpires.

FFS how you can argue this point is incredibly. You are obviously just trolling because nobody could be this ridiculous.
plugger at times is either a fool or a troll or a combination of both. Because he'd never say the umpires are blind or biased.

Bunk, the way you put it, the facts that is, makes it incomprehensible to disagree with.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Freebird
Club Player

The thing that gets me is when we go forward the defenders wrap their arms around us - no free but down the other end they don't miss a thing and the commentators say look he had his arm around him. Why don't they say this when the ump does not blow his whistle

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

plugger at times is either a fool or a troll or a combination of both. Because he'd never say the umpires are blind or biased.

Bunk, the way you put it, the facts that is, makes it incomprehensible to disagree with.

No I wouldn't say either. I would say they make mistakes. Did you see Goddard elbowed in the head. I must have been the only one by the looks of it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

That second hip and shoulder to Sinclair's head when Sinclair was trying to mark was a blatant free kick. And what do your think the "umpire's" call was?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The "kick in the head" was unavoidable. Sinclair fell in front of Barlow and he did his best to avoid him. Play on was the right call. We also got a free five seconds later.

And Plugger, what did you think of the elbow to Goddard's head?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:The "kick in the head" was unavoidable. Sinclair fell in front of Barlow and he did his best to avoid him. Play on was the right call. We also got a free five seconds later.

Play on was the right call???? Are you serious? If it was not seen, okay that it was not paid (as I said earlier), but play on being the right call - NFW - It does not matter in todays football if the contact was unintentional, unavoidable or unwhatever - the contact was made to his head. My son was given a choice - even to Under 14 - wear a helmet or do not play - What you are advocating is kick a player in the head, but as long as you the action was deemed unavoidable, no free.

This was a free, yesterday, today, next week and I hope for the sake of football, forever.

To say it was a missed free - I can accept that - but if the view of the umpires aligns itself with play on for that incident, Lord help us!!!

And what does getting a free 5 seconds later have to do with it - Are you saying it was a makeup free for the one that was missed - that you are claiming was play on???? Just there is why people are confused as to the interpretations of the umpires.

― Aristophanes

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:The "kick in the head" was unavoidable. Sinclair fell in front of Barlow and he did his best to avoid him. Play on was the right call. We also got a free five seconds later.

Play on was the right call???? Are you serious? If it was not seen, okay that it was not paid (as I said earlier), but play on being the right call - NFW - It does not matter in todays football if the contact was unintentional, unavoidable or unwhatever - the contact was made to his head. My son was given a choice - even to Under 14 - wear a helmet or do not play - What you are advocating is kick a player in the head, but as long as you the action was deemed unavoidable, no free.

This was a free, yesterday, today, next week and I hope for the sake of football, forever.

To say it was a missed free - I can accept that - but if the view of the umpires aligns itself with play on for that incident, Lord help us!!!

So every single contact to the head is a free. Sorry but it isn't black or white. The point of my question about Goddard is he got elbowed in the head and there was no free and there shouldn't have been a free. He ran into to tackle a guy who had his arms up to tackle and ran straight into the elbow. That can never be a free. And it was the correct decision. The same with Sinclair. It was unavoidable and Freo did everything possible to avoid it. Most blood rules and from blood on head and most don't seem to get frees. If the rule was black and white we need to pay Goddard a free even though it was him who accidently initiated the contact. And what about those players who who slide in and a player goes over the top and might accidentally kick them in the head. You know who gets the free then? Yep the player who kicked the other in the head.

Lets just use this example. A player is on the ground. Another runs to jump over him. The player on the ground lifts his head to see the play. The other player jumpos to do everything possible to avoid him but knees his head. My decision and I hope everyone elses decision is play on. Unavoidable and no ones fault. Intersection in the game but that was unlucky. Pretty much what happened yesterday. So there is no black and white for head high contact and there shouldn't be in any age of footy. Its a contact sport and occassionly something unlucky will happen.