We will be better than Doggies in long term..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will be better than Doggies in long term..

dragit wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Teflon wrote:Must find and get elite midfielder who can use the ball
Simy not negotiable

Parish is our No1 target. Mathesion is No.2
I doubt we'll get a look at either of these guys with pick 4 - 5

I thought one and two were locks? Wouldn't that make at least one of these available at pick 4? By the way I have no idea who any of these players are. Missed all the under 18's unfortunately.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

We'll get a good one. I'm sure of that. Hopefully we get to 7 wins.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Well, that's 3 hours I'll never get back. They had 5 teenagers in the team that beat us last night. That last passage of play where we won the ball out of defence, took it up the wing quickly, and then kicked it straight to a Doggies player on his own and in the centre of the ground - instead of to one of our forwards to hopefully draw the match epitomised the night for me.
I love the optimism on here, but apart from the Hawks, and maybe Essendon, we haven't played anyone of quality yet. It is great we have won 4 games - I thought 2 this year, but on last night's performance we are years away. If anyone thinks we will win any of the games in the last 6 rounds, I recommend you don't delude yourself. We might be competitive in a few, but that's about it.
Hickey needs to come back in - Longer needs a rest or at least a chop out. Membrey doesn't offer enough yet for mine, but should be persevered with. Gilbert can come out and Goddard can get a chance. We need to find a replacement for Fisher as it seems that he is at the end.
Their 5 kids were not that great last night, but the game was played in the biggest flood since the games of 2002.
I reckon we will win about 2 or 3 more games. Essendon are rubbish, Melbourne hold no real advantage and we should knock off at least one club that take us lightly like Freo.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Bit harsh to drop a young player after one poor game. We haven't done it to many other senior players who have had poor matches, such as Gilbert last night, and Ray last year. Giuve 'em 4 weeks to get the pace of the big dance. Would've thought that that would have been self-evident, or logical. Goddard could replace Gilbert or come in instead of Fisher.
McCartin could come in for Schneids - not like for like, but it doesn't have to be. Hickey just needs to come back in anyway. We need a second ruck, and another tall marking forward option. With Essendon's ruck issues, playing Hickey and Longer together would really stretch them. Their midfield is in trouble anyway, because Watson is injured again.
I wouldn't like to see us playing too much inexperience against Sydney, Geelong, Freo or West Coast in Perth, because if we lose by too much it can set development back. I don't think any of the changes I suggested make us any less likely to win some or all of the next 4 games - although we won't beat Richmond no matter who we play.
White - well, what is the use of keeping this guy on the list, along with Lee if we aren't going to try them out. We did this sort of thing with Tommy Lynch and where did that get us?

And its unfair on other young kids if you just play guys who aren't up to it because we decide a random number of 4 games. You use Gilbert as example of this but then say replace him with Goddard. It isn't going to happen and Schneider isn't going to be replaced by McCartin. Imagine if they are in and those 2 are out. The balance of the side is stuffed. And Hickey cant play if McCartin did play. The forward line would have Membery, Roo, McCartin, Bruce and Hickey in it. We would be hopeless up forward. The young kids will get games when they deserve it and when there is a spot. As for White he is on the list because we thought he would improve. Just because he is on the list you don't play otherwise why not play Simpkin.
Spot on Plugger but unfortunately it's just all too easy for posters to moan about how player A or B cost us the win and how much better we'll be if he's replaced next week by a kid.
Out Gilbert In Goddard is the classic example even though they are very different players. I hope every poster that has voiced that sentiment gets along to Trevor Barker this arvo to watch the kids. They'll see Goddard giving it everything he's got and get a first hand view of just when he might have the fitness required to line up in the ones.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I go to every seniors game in Victoria either with family, or mates, or mixture of same - missus and kids would crack it if I wanted to go and watch Sandy too. Not knocking Gilbert actually as he had the better of Stringer overall, just can't see the point of not trying out the new talent in a development year.
In my opinion, and that is all it is really, I would prefer to see Acres, McKenzie and Sinclair in the side than Gilbert, Ray and Schneids - and I am a Schneider fan. Just think three of what are essentially dodgy kickers of the football are too many to have in one side at any one time, especially when all of them are 28+.
I would also like to see Hickey playing as he offers a bit up forward and at ground level in the ruck. I know that Longer is a good tap ruckman, but think that we look better as a side when the four aformentioned players are in the same side. Longer and Hickey can play in the same side, it's all about strategy - and no better chance to try things out than against a side without a ruckman like Essendon next week.
Fisher seems like he is near the end with all of these injuries he keeps getting, so better to see what Goddard can offer now, rather than wait until Fisher is retired for mine.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Well, that's 3 hours I'll never get back. They had 5 teenagers in the team that beat us last night. That last passage of play where we won the ball out of defence, took it up the wing quickly, and then kicked it straight to a Doggies player on his own and in the centre of the ground - instead of to one of our forwards to hopefully draw the match epitomised the night for me.
I love the optimism on here, but apart from the Hawks, and maybe Essendon, we haven't played anyone of quality yet. It is great we have won 4 games - I thought 2 this year, but on last night's performance we are years away. If anyone thinks we will win any of the games in the last 6 rounds, I recommend you don't delude yourself. We might be competitive in a few, but that's about it.
Hickey needs to come back in - Longer needs a rest or at least a chop out. Membrey doesn't offer enough yet for mine, but should be persevered with. Gilbert can come out and Goddard can get a chance. We need to find a replacement for Fisher as it seems that he is at the end.
Their 5 kids were not that great last night, but the game was played in the biggest flood since the games of 2002.
I reckon we will win about 2 or 3 more games. Essendon are rubbish, Melbourne hold no real advantage and we should knock off at least one club that take us lightly like Freo.
Melbourne beat Geelong at Geelong easily. That doesn't happen very often. Reckon that game at the G could be a repeat of last night's game. Depends on injuries though really. Freo are better than last year and I can't see us beating them again, although stranger things have happened.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Bit harsh to drop a young player after one poor game. We haven't done it to many other senior players who have had poor matches, such as Gilbert last night, and Ray last year. Giuve 'em 4 weeks to get the pace of the big dance. Would've thought that that would have been self-evident, or logical. Goddard could replace Gilbert or come in instead of Fisher.
McCartin could come in for Schneids - not like for like, but it doesn't have to be. Hickey just needs to come back in anyway. We need a second ruck, and another tall marking forward option. With Essendon's ruck issues, playing Hickey and Longer together would really stretch them. Their midfield is in trouble anyway, because Watson is injured again.
I wouldn't like to see us playing too much inexperience against Sydney, Geelong, Freo or West Coast in Perth, because if we lose by too much it can set development back. I don't think any of the changes I suggested make us any less likely to win some or all of the next 4 games - although we won't beat Richmond no matter who we play.
White - well, what is the use of keeping this guy on the list, along with Lee if we aren't going to try them out. We did this sort of thing with Tommy Lynch and where did that get us?

And its unfair on other young kids if you just play guys who aren't up to it because we decide a random number of 4 games. You use Gilbert as example of this but then say replace him with Goddard. It isn't going to happen and Schneider isn't going to be replaced by McCartin. Imagine if they are in and those 2 are out. The balance of the side is stuffed. And Hickey cant play if McCartin did play. The forward line would have Membery, Roo, McCartin, Bruce and Hickey in it. We would be hopeless up forward. The young kids will get games when they deserve it and when there is a spot. As for White he is on the list because we thought he would improve. Just because he is on the list you don't play otherwise why not play Simpkin.
Spot on Plugger but unfortunately it's just all too easy for posters to moan about how player A or B cost us the win and how much better we'll be if he's replaced next week by a kid.
Out Gilbert In Goddard is the classic example even though they are very different players. I hope every poster that has voiced that sentiment gets along to Trevor Barker this arvo to watch the kids. They'll see Goddard giving it everything he's got and get a first hand view of just when he might have the fitness required to line up in the ones.
Wish I had been there. Excellent win by all accounts with Goddard, Lee, McCartin, Wright, McKenzie, and Hickey all giving better than solid performances. Saadie kicked a nice goal too. Plenty of pressure on the senior team this week for spots in the team. Well done Zebs.