I need help

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: I need help

Milne wrote:I agree about the coaching situation with Hickey, but let's give Longer a bit more of a chance. He has come a long way since last year and is only young.

But if Longer rucks then Hickey doesn't get his chance. he is also young but it seems we want Longer to be our long term player and we will look at trading Hickey. Both cant playin the same side long term.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Maybe time for Holmes to replace one of them. Holmes can take a mark at least. Holmes and Hickey would be an interesting pair to watch. Bruce should never ruck.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Maybe time for Holmes to replace one of them. Holmes can take a mark at least. Holmes and Hickey would be an interesting pair to watch. Bruce should never ruck.

He cant play. He is a rookie and they aren't going to upgrade him over Schneider or Sinclair.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Maybe time for Holmes to replace one of them. Holmes can take a mark at least. Holmes and Hickey would be an interesting pair to watch. Bruce should never ruck.

He cant play. He is a rookie and they aren't going to upgrade him over Schneider or Sinclair.
Well there goes that idea then...

Unless they delist that spud Schneider.

Darth Vader
Club Player

Freebird wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Im sure everyone knows that but can someone explain why Longer is still playing and poor Hickey gets subbed 2 weeks in a row. Hickey isn't a forward and the coaches surely know that but if you play him then keep him playing or don't play him at all. If injured I apologise. In the mean time Longer gets his 7 possessions a game and we get nothing from him around the ground. One has to go and I reckon its really harsh on Hickey as he is being played out of position. And for those who say it doesn't matter this year as we are getting games into Longer well that's fine but we aren't getting games into Hickey in his rightful position.
The reason is obvious - Longer is the better ruckman and Hickey is sub-standard in most areas. Longer not great but > Hickey
I actually think it's the other way around. He has to play both because neither can ruck all day and we have no chop-out part-timer like Stanley (Bruce didn't work), but Longer is sub-standard as a forward so he has to ruck and Hickey is up forward.

supersaints
Club Player

For once I have to agree , plugger definitely needs help.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:For once I have to agree , plugger definitely needs help.

That's why I asked for it. Stating the obvious.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well there goes that idea then...

Unless they delist that spud Schneider.
Oh dear.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, it's a real dilemma. Neither Longer nor Hickey are contributing much, so we are virtually two players down each week. Longer is trying hard, but achieving very little and we do not have a chop-out ruckman. Hickey is not suited to the forward line, especially with Rooey and Bruce both there. I suggested a couple of weeks ago, that Hickey be dropped and bring Membrey in to balance up the forward line. Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the ruck situation, with neither good enough to ruck single handedly for us.

Also, we don't have great mids at the centre bounces, which makes either ruckman look worse than they are.

This situation throws a cloud over the Stanley trade decision - he is now playing a great Ruck roll at Geelong.

What do we do - there is no happy solution. (a) play both, (b) play one for 4 weeks, then the other for 4 weeks, and see who lifts. Use anyone as a chop-out,

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Play two ruckman, perform 5% worse ensuring a better draft pick without being obvious about it..

Bring back the Lockett era
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Jonesy offered :
Play two ruckman, perform 5% worse ensuring a better draft pick without being obvious about it..
Yep. Sounds about our best tactical option :wink:

Freebird
Club Player

Do you think we would receive a 1st round pick for Hickey?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just don't get the decisiveness that Bill is a better ruck prospect than Tom.

Before injuring his knee last year in rd 6, Tom was tracking fine.

He really will be looked at by clubs who know what he's capable of in the middle.

It's got me stumped.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I just don't get the decisiveness that Bill is a better ruck prospect than Tom.

He really will be looked at by clubs who know what he's capable of in the middle.

It's got me stumped.

I'm guessing the hit out are the ones they watch. Billy is about 6th in the AFL for hit outs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So?

It's not everything.

Especially when the opposition mids are sharking them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
SainterK wrote:I just don't get the decisiveness that Bill is a better ruck prospect than Tom.

It's got me stumped.

I'm guessing the hit out are the ones they watch. Billy is about 6th in the AFL for hit outs.

Where is the opposition ruckman compared to last year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

It's got me stumped.

What do you mean?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

It's got me stumped.

What do you mean?

I think the opposition ruckmen have really destroyed us around the ground this year. Don't think they did that last year.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

From his post game review it appears that Richo is determined to turn Hickey into a forward who can ruck. I'm not sure it's serving him or the team well at the moment. One problem is that if we don't play Hickey and Longer we've got to find someone to replace the ruckman when he's resting. I'm not sure who we've got that could do that role.
We could bring McCartin or Membrey in to play forward but neither of them is going to spend time in the ruck.
I feel sorry for Hickey. Until he got injured last year I thought he was showing some good signs as a ruckman.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I though Tom was blossoming into an elite ruckman personally, shows how little I know.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:I though Tom was blossoming into an elite ruckman personally, shows how little I know.
I thought he was our number one ruck from late 2013. We seemed to look better at clearances when he was rucking compared to McEvoy (and I'm not bagging Ben in saying that). From the time we got Billy the club seemed determined to find a way to play both in the same time.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Darth Vader
Club Player

It's got me stumped.

I agree that Billy is not decisively better than Hickey in the ruck, but Hickey is better up forward than Billy. We can't just play one of them, so Longer in ruck and Hickey up forward seems to be the least-worst way to play both.

FQF
SS Life Member

Longer has good hit out stats, but more importantly, he can ruck for an entire game.

Does Hickey have the endurance to ruck 90% of a game? Because if we move him into Longer's position, we will have no second ruck.

I reckon it's as simple as that.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I haven't had a chance to watch this weeks match yet but if Hickey is not injured and been subbed twice in a row I'd be happy for Billy to have a spell. Bring in McCartin against Melbourne and give Hickey a full game in the ruck. I think the two rucks will work together as I rate them both but they both need to improve a bit for that to happen.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Longer has good hit out stats, but more importantly, he can ruck for an entire game.

Does Hickey have the endurance to ruck 90% of a game? Because if we move him into Longer's position, we will have no second ruck.

I reckon it's as simple as that.
Longer's endurance just means we have more of the game where we have a player in the midfield who doesn't get a touch.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"