Our Coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our Coach

He has just jumped up a lot in my estimations.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think he most definitely has the players ear.

Very level kinda guy, but obviously committed. To see how pleased he was after the win against Footscray was very good.

I think he has a very clear idea about where we are going and is very focused on the longer term. Not a lot of coaches have much longevity through rebuilds. Supporters get impatient.

I like him. Not a lot of bullsh1t coming out of the place at the moment.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jaxons
Club Player

He seems to love Shenton who is the the third worst player playing AFL today.
Can't understand this love of Shenton, he's such an ordinary player and would not get a gig on another clubs list including Carlton!

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:He seems to love Shenton who is the the third worst player playing AFL today.
Can't understand this love of Shenton, he's such an ordinary player and would not get a gig on another clubs list including Carlton!
Who are the 2 worst?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
jaxons
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
jaxons wrote:He seems to love Shenton who is the the third worst player playing AFL today.
Who are the 2 worst?
James Gwilt and Tony Armstrong in any order.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I don't rate Shenton but he isn't the third worse player in the AFL. Its a silly comment. He isn't even the worse player at our club. Not very nice.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I don't rate Shenton but he isn't the third worse player in the AFL. Its a silly comment. He isn't even the worse player at our club. Not very nice.
I think he likes him is because he has a bit of toe and can carry the ball. The problem with Shents is his lack of strength and can get caught out on the rebound.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Shenton is doing a good serviceable job, probably doing as the coach requires, and is a long way up the tree from the worse player in the AFL, and has done well in a defence that has been continually under the pump early in games.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Shenton is a Selleys player. A gap filler until the rebuild is complete.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Superboot
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Superboot wrote: Ross Lyon was the right man for the final stage,
How so?
Got us into Grand Finals and might well have won both with a bit more quality in the list (McQualter and Eddy wouldn't have got a game with too many top teams)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Shenton is a Selleys player. A gap filler until the rebuild is complete.

I don't get why anyone thinks he is just a filler. He is a very inexperienced player who will get better. While he is getting senior games he is very likely going to be playing footy at our club in the future. He might fall behind Webster, Mc Kenzie and Acres but right now he's holding them out and may end up better than all of them. Those guys have potential but right now Shenton is holding his spot so is doing something right. After 50 senior games we should be able to make a pretty good judgement as to wether he has any further improvement in him. In the meantime he should be given a bit of respect.

mordi
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:
Who are the 2 worst?
James Gwilt and Tony Armstrong in any order.
Sure you're not a Carlton troll ?? 8-) Lot of Bluebaggers ahead of Shents !

What's the Point of it All?
matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
third worst player in the afl

i mean cmon
you gotta know thats gonna get some bites saying that stoppid shite

third worst

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish. He has been one of our better players in our last two games.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
saynta wrote:
How so?
Got us into Grand Finals and might well have won both with a bit more quality in the list (McQualter and Eddy wouldn't have got a game with too many top teams)

In my view he cost us two grand finals with his handling of Luke Ball.

Superboot
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
Superboot wrote:
saynta wrote:
How so?

In my view he cost us two grand finals with his handling of Luke Ball.
Yes, there is that!

jaxons
Club Player

gringo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Shenton is a Selleys player. A gap filler until the rebuild is complete.

I don't get why anyone thinks he is just a filler. He is a very inexperienced player who will get better. While he is getting senior games he is very likely going to be playing footy at our club in the future. He might fall behind Webster, Mc Kenzie and Acres but right now he's holding them out and may end up better than all of them. Those guys have potential but right now Shenton is holding his spot so is doing something right. After 50 senior games we should be able to make a pretty good judgement as to wether he has any further improvement in him. In the meantime he should be given a bit of respect.
Gringo please mate.
Shenton has no chance of being better than any of Webster, Acres or Mckenzie.
Just an ill informed comment that is.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think Gringo makes a good point, While i think all of Webster, McKenzie and Acres have the potential to be better players than Shenton...who knows what the future will hold for all 4 of them. I think if his form warrants it, keep picking him, when it doesn't he will be dropped. If after a few more seasons and if he's close to that 50 game mark and he's not showing more, then we'll call it, but those youngsters...anything could happen, serious injury, stalled development...averages are not in their favour that all 3 will make it to be long term players.

Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Lyon.... could have goone the rebuild straight away route...
Could he? Any evidence to back that up?

Saints43
Club Player

Superboot wrote:[McQualter and Eddy wouldn't have got a game with too many top teams
I'm not entirely sure they had to get a game at ours either.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I have no real issue with Eddy getting a game.

It's broken jaw Eddy in the replay that I don't get

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Richo has been the sensible, steadying influence that our club needed after the egotistic and dishonest Watters divided the club. You can tell that he has won the loyalty of the playing group - this year they are all speaking in 'Richoisms.' Just like we used to hear players under GT speaking about giving "100% effort, 100% of the time" and playing our best "anywhere, any time", the players are now constantly referring to "giving great effort" and "cracking in." When the playing group adopts the vernacular and mannerisms of the coach I think it's obvious that they have bought into what the coach is selling and that is incredibly important.

We haven't yet seen any evidence of tactical genius but I'm not concerned about that. I don't think an elite tactician could get many more wins out of the playing group at the moment. We need to improve our defensive strategies when defending an opposition kick in but most aspects of our game will improve once the core group of kids are in the 50-100 game bracket rather than 0-30. If Richo isn't the strongest tactician then it wouldn't be hard to seek out a senior assistant to help with this. The only thing I really have an issue with so far is selection. We keep making obvious mistakes on Thursday nights and pay for them on the weekend. I also think we are playing 1-2 too many older players. You absolutely need a few in the side but I really don't want to see kids who are performing well in the VFL being denied a chance because a veteran/mature age GOP is performing just ok in the seniors. I think Acres should have about 5 more games to his name and Minchington should have had a chance by now.

But overall, Richo gets more than a pass mark so far. I'd extend his contract to the end of 2017.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Richo has been the sensible, steadying influence that our club needed after the egotistic and dishonest Watters divided the club. You can tell that he has won the loyalty of the playing group - this year they are all speaking in 'Richoisms.' Just like we used to hear players under GT speaking about giving "100% effort, 100% of the time" and playing our best "anywhere, any time", the players are now constantly referring to "giving great effort" and "cracking in." When the playing group adopts the vernacular and mannerisms of the coach I think it's obvious that they have bought into what the coach is selling and that is incredibly important.

We haven't yet seen any evidence of tactical genius but I'm not concerned about that. I don't think an elite tactician could get many more wins out of the playing group at the moment. We need to improve our defensive strategies when defending an opposition kick in but most aspects of our game will improve once the core group of kids are in the 50-100 game bracket rather than 0-30. If Richo isn't the strongest tactician then it wouldn't be hard to seek out a senior assistant to help with this. The only thing I really have an issue with so far is selection. We keep making obvious mistakes on Thursday nights and pay for them on the weekend. I also think we are playing 1-2 too many older players. You absolutely need a few in the side but I really don't want to see kids who are performing well in the VFL being denied a chance because a veteran/mature age GOP is performing just ok in the seniors. I think Acres should have about 5 more games to his name and Minchington should have had a chance by now.

But overall, Richo gets more than a pass mark so far. I'd extend his contract to the end of 2017.

Who are the obvious selection mistakes and to be honest I think 6-8 coaches would have a how lot more idea than anyone on here. I guessing there are no obvious selection mistakes but selections we just don't understand because we don't have all the information. Matter of fact im sure about all that.

Saints43
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I have no real issue with Eddy getting a game.

And delisted the next week....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I have no real issue with Eddy getting a game.

And delisted the next week....

Pelchan.