Saunders signed until end of 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintberra
Club Player

Re: Saunders signed until end of 2016

SainterK wrote:That's my point...

Why 2 years, nobody is going to be chasing the wooden spooners depth players are they?

If they show something by all means, give them a years extension.
For me, sometimes I see that through giving a player an additional year in their contract helps build on their confidence.

I'm sure a lot of players feel a little unease if they knew that they only had a year left their contract and the club (perhaps, not saying they don't) doesn't have confidence in them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:Do we need to give 2 years to these guys?

Yes because we may have list Siposs, simpkin and Milera if we didnt.
Don't understand what you mean P66.

As for Saunders, I am not a huge wrap. If and it is a big if he survives on a list medium term, I can see him only ever being a bottom 6 player.

Will never be a star. Still players like Jason Blake made a 200 + game career out of being a bottom six player.

Not everyone can be a Chris Judd.

Bit early to call on that BM. How does anyone with out a time machine know who will end up a bottom 6 player. If the forum had selected it's best few players for 2014 a couple of years ago Siposs, Rhys and Tommy Walsh would be fighting it out for a Brownlow. If I had guessed Goddard wouldn't have made it to 50 games before delisting. Saunders has some really good qualities IMO wether that means he makes the grade who knows. I thought Xavier Clarke and Cadyn Beetham would be stars. Joey was a very slow boil but became a star.

That is all so true but it would be a boring forum if we had to wait for kids to make it or not. I hope you havent said Billing, acres or Dunstan will be stars in the future. As long as they arent called after a game or two, which I have certainly done, then I reckon 2 years is fair enough.
I would prefer to see people pumping up the tyres of our kids every time but that's just me. I would say 10 games in his second year shows that he is on a progression. He's not there yet but like Ross he just seems to be working towards a plan the club have for him. I think of the kids recruited in the last couple of years newnes is the only one that's a certainty barring injury. That said Billings and Dunstan have made a much more immediate impact and so are a lot easier to get excited about.

I'm much more worried about guys like Siposs, Simpkin and obviously TDL, those guys weren't getting games despite being at an age where the coaches should be playing them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As for Saunders, I am not a huge wrap. If and it is a big if he survives on a list medium term, I can see him only ever being a bottom 6 player.

Will never be a star. Still players like Jason Blake made a 200 + game career out of being a bottom six player.

Bit early to call on that BM. How does anyone with out a time machine know who will end up a bottom 6 player. If the forum had selected it's best few players for 2014 a couple of years ago Siposs, Rhys and Tommy Walsh would be fighting it out for a Brownlow. If I had guessed Goddard wouldn't have made it to 50 games before delisting. Saunders has some really good qualities IMO wether that means he makes the grade who knows. I thought Xavier Clarke and Cadyn Beetham would be stars. Joey was a very slow boil but became a star.

That is all so true but it would be a boring forum if we had to wait for kids to make it or not. I hope you havent said Billing, acres or Dunstan will be stars in the future. As long as they arent called after a game or two, which I have certainly done, then I reckon 2 years is fair enough.
I would prefer to see people pumping up the tyres of our kids every time but that's just me. I would say 10 games in his second year shows that he is on a progression. He's not there yet but like Ross he just seems to be working towards a plan the club have for him. I think of the kids recruited in the last couple of years newnes is the only one that's a certainty barring injury. That said Billings and Dunstan have made a much more immediate impact and so are a lot easier to get excited about.

I'm much more worried about guys like Siposs, Simpkin and obviously TDL, those guys weren't getting games despite being at an age where the coaches should be playing them.

Surely its also a boring forum if we only say positive things about our players? I agree with the names you mentioned but like SainterK I dont see the need for 2 years as 2 of the players you mentioned got and it seemed all positive when they got that but now seems far to much. Hope we arent saying the same thing about Saunders next year. I hope you are saying I was wrong and it was great move to give him 2 years.

ChelseaGuy
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:Big week for Josh.
Is it just me or does Saunders have a passing resemblance to Luke Ball? At any rate seems quite happy with his date.

saint6709
Club Player

The guy has played 2 seasons as a teenager - I think he could very easily be a very good player

saintly
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

TDL is gorn, therefore you don't have to worry about him. Sipposs does have a contract for next year, and i don't know what is simpkin's status.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

He has played 20 games in the first 2 years of his AFL career. What % of third round picks would have achieved that ? ... Sure he has things to work on, but so do 99% of kids only 2 years into their AFL career.

He has done more than enough to earn another 2 year contract. Get around him.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Let's hope he grows a foot, or at least another hand.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I don't see any problems in giving Saunders 2 more years.

As zed mentioned, he's shown plenty of promise and there will be plenty of guys to retire/delist next year.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:As zed mentioned, he's shown plenty of promise and there will be plenty of guys to retire/delist next year.
Good question, will there be?

Potential retirements: Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt, Schneider, Montagna, Gilbert (if injuries continue to worsen)

Potential delistings: Roberton, Simpkin, Siposs, Markworth, Lee, Minchington (assuming he even gets promoted)

Outside chances: Murdoch, Curren, Pierce, Ross, Savage (if he plays like he did at the start of this year)

So probably a couple more retirements, three to five delistings, that sounds like another five, maybe as many as eight players gone.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Zed wrote:He has played 20 games in the first 2 years of his AFL career. What % of third round picks would have achieved that ? ... Sure he has things to work on, but so do 99% of kids only 2 years into their AFL career.

He has done more than enough to earn another 2 year contract. Get around him.
However as a youngen in a poorly-performing club he is going to get almost 'too many' opportunities to nail down a spot.

20 games in his first two seasons is a good effort however what are his redeeming features?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote: what are his redeeming features?
He's lightning quick & very good long distance athlete, has manic attack on the contest, fearless.

Kicking is obviously his main weakness, but I think it looks to be more composure related rather than just poor skills.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
dragit wrote:As zed mentioned, he's shown plenty of promise and there will be plenty of guys to retire/delist next year.
Good question, will there be?

Potential retirements: Fisher, Dempster, Riewoldt, Schneider, Montagna, Gilbert (if injuries continue to worsen)

Potential delistings: Roberton, Simpkin, Siposs, Markworth, Lee, Minchington (assuming he even gets promoted)

Outside chances: Murdoch, Curren, Pierce, Ross, Savage (if he plays like he did at the start of this year)

So probably a couple more retirements, three to five delistings, that sounds like another five, maybe as many as eight players gone.
I think Lee has a contract till 2016 & Minch will too if upgraded... The others look about right and we are pretty likely to trade out a player or two.

Have to keep in mind how many players we have turned over in the past 3 years... It would be approaching 30 - basically 3/4's of the list. Some players are going to need just a little patience

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Im not completely sold on this guy. his skills are poor but he has pace and goes in hard. 2 years is the mximum he deseves at the moment. Certainly makes more sense than the rumour of lee and Minchinton getting 2 years extra.
Agreed. He does not seemingly have a redeemable (lol) quality at this stage...
Agree also.

If they give Spud Lee a two year contract then Pelican should just walk out the door.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.