Ross Lyon after today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon after today

whiskers3614 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well hes been bloody unlucky - but I cant see Ross Lyon ever winning a flag now.

Has any coach ever coached 10 years+ without a flag?

Frees 17-7 in Swans favour. Just a joke.

Replace Taverner with McPharlin or Johnson - Freo win .
John Northey and Rodney Eade both coached for 14 years without a flag.
Both were multiple premiership winning players!
There are/were another 6 coaches who have coached in more games than Lyon, but I'm sure if Fremantle is patient he will pass them all!
Good get whiskers with Eade and Northey - I hadn't realised they had coached that long.

I cant see Freo getting back up anytime soon - McPharlin and Johnson are almost gone. Pav and Sandi almost gone. Mundy getting on. Thats 5 A grade players they will need to replace. Almost impossible to do.

His only hope is to piss off from Freo at the end of next year and then get to another club with a good young list.

Wont be easy for him from here. BUT - the Gold Coast Suns job might be free in 2016.... that could get him a flag.....

If not the Dogs in 2016 might be a job for him as well...
Surely people will wake up to him soon, as they eventually did to that other snake oil salesman Wallace?

Surely
You would think so - but a lot still love him... maybe he will get one more shot at it....

ctqs
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Well hes been bloody unlucky - but I cant see Ross Lyon ever winning a flag now.

Has any coach ever coached 10 years+ without a flag?

Frees 17-7 in Swans favour. Just a joke.

Replace Taverner with McPharlin or Johnson - Freo win .
Don't agree. They were never going to win....don't kick enough goals. Freo would have had to kick 8 goals in the last quarter to win. Swine were always in control. Face it lyin is a loser. And I love it. Creep that he is.
+1
He did the dirty on us and left us worse off than he found us. Hawthorn and Geelong were two other teams who grew at the same time ours did and they're still doing alright because they had coaches who also had an eye on the club's future, not just their own. I'm not one of those who wish Lyin' well.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
stinger wrote:
Waltzing St Kilda wrote:Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? Freo will crush Port/Rich next week and might surprise the Hawks in the PF, just as the Dogs almost beat us in 2009. Swans v Freo in the GF, who can say what might happen?

Not sure about that.."both port and the tigers are capable of doing the shockers over...they don't kick enough goals....Lyons curse....
There is no surer bet in AFL than the beaten Qualifying finalist defeating the winning Elimination final winner.
Check the records...I think it's only ever happened twice since 2001!

Hard to see anyone defeating the Hawks and Swans in the preliminary finals.
might just happen this year...with a bit of luck..... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
His only hope is to piss off from Freo at the end of next year and then get to another club with a good young list.
As long as he doesn't get another chance to slink back to us, just when our young list is beginning to show it's on the cusp of finals footy. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

citywest

Geez some of you on here make me sick. The guy is a genius full stop. We all should know this as St Kilda supporters. It was only unlucky/freak circumstances that stoped Lyon and us from winning 2 premierships in a row. Yes, that's right, back to back flags. He left us, so what? Why be bitter and wish bad luck on him? If you must know, he had lost a lot of money and his house actually as well. He had a chance to be paid double what he was being paid at the Saints. If any of us were in the same situation we would have all done the same.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
As long as he doesn't get another chance to slink back to us, just when our young list is beginning to show it's on the cusp of finals footy. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
You have to be kidding Loris, we would take him back in a heart beat if we had a list ready to go. It's a no brainier.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
That would be membership microwave time Loris! :oops:

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His ability to get teams into grand finals is still extraordinary love him or hate him. His teams have been close to pinching one, a lot has to go right to roll over the line.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Unfortunately we dont have a good young list.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Unfortunately we dont have a good young list.
Aw Con please let me live in hope........ just a little eh? :wink:

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I beg to differ. He had a very good list to work with at St.Kilda, as he has now at the shockers. He hasn't converted his opportunities. I think he's capable, but nothing special. If he was a great coach, he'd gave a couple of flags at least and he wouldn't have left our list in a diabolical mess. Left the place far worse than he found it.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Aw Con please let me live in hope........ just a little eh? :wink:
Plenty of hope Loris . I just meant we wont be that attractive next year.

But get us a few good younguns in the next two years to add to Acres, Billings, Dunstan, Eli, Webster, Newnes etc etc etc and we will have plenty of hope from 2017 onwards.

We probably already might have 12 good kids on our books. We only need another 10 more good young players - if 3 of those 10 are guns - we are back up there.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
freo fan patted him on the back as he walked down the steps and said something along the line of 'go get em!'
gets belittled by ross and then kicked out

according to the pregame of norf and injectsson

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, this 'he gets teams into GFs so he's a genius' theory is flawed. Or at the very least - its highly debatable.

It could very, very easily be argued that he's taken over teams that were clearly on the cusp or on their way to challenging for success. In both situations, the teams he took on had superstars, had played finals, had high draft picks, and were very decent teams anyway.

It could be easily argued that in both cases, he has costs incredibly talented lists a flag.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

That's not factual, it debatable. But in my view, it's as fair a debate as the 'he's a genius' line.

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. A bit closer to the former if you ask me.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I beg to differ. He had a very good list to work with at St.Kilda, as he has now at the shockers. He hasn't converted his opportunities. I think he's capable, but nothing special. If he was a great coach, he'd gave a couple of flags at least and he wouldn't have left our list in a diabolical mess. Left the place far worse than he found it.
What I really noticed today too is Freo don't run as hard as the other 3 top teams to make space and receive the ball. They are more "stodgy" - they are scared to run forward because that risks opening up their precious space at the back - and again that reminds me of the run we lacked under him. It's like he focuses too much on that system pattern of his and forgets other elements to make your team multi-faceted and hard to stop. Remember when we originated frontal pressure and then it just seemed to ebb away and bloody Collingwood copied it and did it better than us. He takes his eye of the bigger picture he should have as head coach with player development, hard running, getting class players in, blooding youth etc and acts more like an obsessive line coach trying to perfect his on-ground system.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Well said loris.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Geez some of you on here make me sick. The guy is a genius full stop. We all should know this as St Kilda supporters. It was only unlucky/freak circumstances that stoped Lyon and us from winning 2 premierships in a row. Yes, that's right, back to back flags. He left us, so what? Why be bitter and wish bad luck on him? If you must know, he had lost a lot of money and his house actually as well. He had a chance to be paid double what he was being paid at the Saints. If any of us were in the same situation we would have all done the same.

Cost us two flags you mean.....the guys a creep...not welcome back at st Kilda afaik......the guys also a loser

And yeah we have all heard about him losing money...so what..?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

[quote="citywest"]Geez some of you on here make me sick.[quote]
I can assure you that with the vast majority on here, the feeling is mutual.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
citywest wrote:Geez some of you on here make me sick.
I can assure you that with the vast majority on here, the feeling is mutual.
Yep... :wink:

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

If he came back I'd seriously consider giving up my membership.

He betrayed the club, the supporters and Nick as he lay in hospital having just had his knee operated.

Maybe the players are forgiving for his abandonment of them, but I am not.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quote Ross Lyon:
Dont you f*cking touch me c*nt
A bit harsh :D

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Geez some of you on here make me sick. The guy is a genius full stop. We all should know this as St Kilda supporters. It was only unlucky/freak circumstances that stoped Lyon and us from winning 2 premierships in a row. Yes, that's right, back to back flags. He left us, so what? Why be bitter and wish bad luck on him? If you must know, he had lost a lot of money and his house actually as well. He had a chance to be paid double what he was being paid at the Saints. If any of us were in the same situation we would have all done the same.
If he'd had a plan B or developed even a slightly more attacking game plan we may have won one of those grand finals. Who knows if he had bothered to try to develop some of the youth on our list, and if we had bothered to recruit properly during those five years, he might still be coaching us, and we might not be on the bottom of the ladder.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda, gunna.
Four of those five years were really great. But let's be honest, we needed to be far more offensive during those finals campaigns but never were.
He's not a genius mate - he inherited a rich list of experienced players which he topped up with similar players from his previous club - hmmm...freo (cough) anyone?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

And one more thing- I reckon when we do win one I want it to be by about six goals, so I can actually enjoy the last quarter of a grand final for once.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

he's given his own review again today- defensive action when he knows the questions will come,

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-06/postmatch-freo

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107