Will CJ get a guard of honour?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Re: Will CJ get a guard of honour?

saintsRrising wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
luc1966 wrote:I can't believe how much we turn on our own. It's about bloody time we stick together through everything to come out stronger and better when our next tilt at the flag is in process. Cj was one of the best
No, no he was not. He was clearly one of the worst.
A statement such as yours just demonstrates how little you must know about football.
Well, you are wrong. very, very wrong.

Playon
Club Player

No he was right, very very right

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Hasn't announced his retirement?
it appears we are announcing it for him :roll:

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Redeemer you come across as a very timid insecure snivelling sniggering back biting biitch and I don't think it would surprise anyone if they were to learn that 9 out of 10 grade 3 girls would be capable of scaring you into submission. Probably could have responded with one word...WEAK!
How so?
I would pay to see you say some of this shiit to CJs face keyboard warrior.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Came off the rookie list and has played 148 games for the Saints. Great effort.

(That's also 148 games more than Redeemer).

StPeter
Club Player

A huge CJ fan here and I will certainly be sorry should it be his last year.

A great contributor, despite his disposal short comings, and one of the first picked during our really good years.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

He'll only get a guard of honour if he runs off along side Lenny.
Seriously though I think he's given us great value given that he only cost us a rookie draft pick. And regardless of any shortcomings he played his heart out every match.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
supersaints
Club Player

It's very likely he is retiring, although he has some flaws ( as most AFL players do) he did an outstanding job as our no1 tagger. anyone who plays 143 AFL games is not a dud.
Well done Clint....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:Redeemer with a history of hate towards certain players in particular Jones. Even outdoes his normal vitriol by slagging 4 players in the one post. Seems to take great pleasure in bagging players.
You are the type that makes me ashamed to barrack for the same side.
Sick of your racist, insecure and bullying posts
So what are you going to do about it then?

Similarly, Jones has a history of crap. Absolute crap and we are all jazzing it up to make it as if he was once an amazing tagger.

in 2009 we were the best defensive team in history and it sure as hell was not driven by Jones.

So no reason to get all revisionist just because a player who is utterly crap and has the kicking skills similar to most of us is retiring. Sheesh, y'all are a precious.
Not precious pal just honest and understand what it takes to do what he"s done ,you don"t appreciate that well more fool you ,just goes to show what kind of a supporter you are!

PADDLEPOP1000
matrix
Saintsational Legend

god you can come out with some complete numpty comments sometimes deemsy

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Playon wrote:No he was right, very very right
So someone that tries hard and is fit somehow gets a pass-mark despite having the foot skills of a 9 year old?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

HitTheBoundary wrote:Came off the rookie list and has played 148 games for the Saints. Great effort.

And? It doesn't mean that many were any good though.

Actually, the majority were laughable

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:Redeemer with a history of hate towards certain players in particular Jones. Even outdoes his normal vitriol by slagging 4 players in the one post. Seems to take great pleasure in bagging players.

Similarly, Jones has a history of crap. Absolute crap and we are all jazzing it up to make it as if he was once an amazing tagger.

in 2009 we were the best defensive team in history and it sure as hell was not driven by Jones.

So no reason to get all revisionist just because a player who is utterly crap and has the kicking skills similar to most of us is retiring. Sheesh, y'all are a precious.
Not precious pal just honest and understand what it takes to do what he"s done ,you don"t appreciate that well more fool you ,just goes to show what kind of a supporter you are!
Do you really understand what it takes? No because you are not and never were there to suggest you understand, is wrong.

I am a supporter that wants success.

I am also a supporter that deems it necessary for a player to possess at least average foot skills.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:I am a supporter that wants success.
I wonder how bagging our players helps you get that success? Are our players going to read your posts and decide to practice their kicking more?

Not going to happen. Instead you just sound like this:

Many people find that putting positive vibes out into the world makes them feel better. Maybe you should give it a try one day. Holding onto all that anger can't be good for you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Anyway - it looks like CJ has officially retired.

Was today 149 or 150?

Thanks for your efforts. Very very near a premiership player.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Do you really understand what it takes? No because you are not and never were there to suggest you understand, is wrong.

I am a supporter that wants success.

I am also a supporter that deems it necessary for a player to possess at least average foot skills.

Yes,! And in Lenny "s words he is very proud of what the group achieved,correct me if I"m wrong but Lenny was there,CJ was a sparrows fart away from being a 2 time premiership player,we never lost a granny because of his disposal but we did get in them because of his commitment and courage!

PADDLEPOP1000
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

From the tears after the game it's clear he's finished with the Saints. Back to the WAFL.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Anyway - it looks like CJ has officially retired.

Was today 149 or 150?

Thanks for your efforts. Very very near a premiership player.

149....pity he didn't get to 150...but his kids will be sainters...hope they learn to kick from an uncle or cousin though....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:... CJ was a sparrows fart away from being a 2 time premiership player,we never lost a granny because of his disposal but we did get in them because of his commitment and courage!
Hi 'Deemsy, what you are seriously overlooking (along with your favoured political party's poor grasp on basic economic theory :P ) is that CJ's kicking ability is all that has stopped him being very close to elite in the modern game.

Had he played in a bygone era of 'get it and kick it forward' he would have been considered very close to elite. :idea: If you doubt that, checkout some old footage... and it doesn't even have to necessarily be from the days of black n' white telly either.

So how then has CJ, the supposedly second worst player in our history... managed to have played so many games... in both strong and not so strong Saint's sides???

Fast.
Tough as.
Fit as.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS gives his absolute all!

BTW, CJ's non-textbook kicking action gives the impression that his disposal is worse than it actually is. Plenty of very good kicks in our side turn it over on plenty of occasions... and that includes our favoured sons. CJ ain't Robinson Crusoe...

Furthermore, he (along with Gilbo') is actually very reliable when taking a set shot. (And he didn't let me down on that claim today. Phew! :D )
In fact, from a set shot on goal, of our current team, I'd have the most confidence in CJ, Armo, Gilbo and the Dud. They rarely miss.

So 'Deemsy, maybe you could go a little easy on CJ? For myself, I would only lampoon blokes who are gifted with great ability, yet chose to (proverbially) 'piss it up the wall'. I could name names, but maybe that's for another thread. :wink:

As for CJ... well done! You won't die wondering, however when that inevitable day eventually comes, you'll be able to pass-on feeling very proud of what you achieved from your AFL footy career. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SaintWodonga
Club Player

It must be remembered that in 2009 - 2010 he was considered the best tagger in the AFL. He used to have some pace, but he's dropped a yard or two. I wish him well if it is indeed his last game.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
SaintWodonga
Club Player

Gwilt and Jones have now been confirmed: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-08-31/r ... -postmatch

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
evo
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
HitTheBoundary wrote:Came off the rookie list and has played 148 games for the Saints. Great effort.

And? It doesn't mean that many were any good though.

Actually, the majority were laughable

Some where out there, a village is missing its idiot !!!

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Dave McNamara wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:... CJ was a sparrows fart away from being a 2 time premiership player,we never lost a granny because of his disposal but we did get in them because of his commitment and courage!
Hi 'Deemsy, what you are seriously overlooking (along with your favoured political party's poor grasp on basic economic theory :P ) is that CJ's kicking ability is all that has stopped him being very close to elite in the modern game.

Had he played in a bygone era of 'get it and kick it forward' he would have been considered very close to elite. :idea: If you doubt that, checkout some old footage... and it doesn't even have to necessarily be from the days of black n' white telly either.

So how then has CJ, the supposedly second worst player in our history... managed to have played so many games... in both strong and not so strong Saint's sides???

Fast.
Tough as.
Fit as.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS gives his absolute all!

BTW, CJ's non-textbook kicking action gives the impression that his disposal is worse than it actually is. Plenty of very good kicks in our side turn it over on plenty of occasions... and that includes our favoured sons. CJ ain't Robinson Crusoe...

Furthermore, he (along with Gilbo') is actually very reliable when taking a set shot. (And he didn't let me down on that claim today. Phew! :D )
In fact, from a set shot on goal, of our current team, I'd have the most confidence in CJ, Armo, Gilbo and the Dud. They rarely miss.

So 'Deemsy, maybe you could go a little easy on CJ? For myself, I would only lampoon blokes who are gifted with great ability, yet chose to (proverbially) 'piss it up the wall'. I could name names, but maybe that's for another thread. :wink:

As for CJ... well done! You won't die wondering, however when that inevitable day eventually comes, you'll be able to pass-on feeling very proud of what you achieved from your AFL footy career. :D
Poor kicking skills and poor decision-making.

A great example of this (even today) is that he received a handball going forward around the centre-square. he then proceeded to do a u-turn, hand balled to another player and then ran back even further. From here he kicked it sideways to a lazy, cheap option.

So we lost 30 metres, had the ball on a flank instead of broken play in the middle.

It is all a mute point however because he is gone. With that. I am thrilled.

He was fit, he was tough, he was fast however he was useless with ball in hand.

That stated, enjoy retirement.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moot point!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
Yes,! And in Lenny "s words he is very proud of what the group achieved,correct me if I"m wrong but Lenny was there,CJ was a sparrows fart away from being a 2 time premiership player,we never lost a granny because of his disposal but we did get in them because of his commitment and courage!
Bang on!!

If you need to vent about where we are now as a team and you want to blame anyone for the lack of 23-28 year old A graders in the team...don't blame CJ. His positives far outway his negatives and his team mates and coaches have recognised his toughness and his work rate.

Practically there's not enough space on the sports pages to compare each player on a list. The commentators and journos wouldn't have had time ( on radio or t.v they were too busy analysing Rooy and Milney and Kosi and the likes of Bruce McCavaney were too busy getting moist over Dal and BJ and Lenny). I reckon every elite mid in the comp knew they were in for a contest when CJ was their direct opponent.

CJ imho should be held in the same high regard as many taggers and scraggers and fighters before him. Guys like Libba and Terry Wallet and more recently Brett Kirk comes to mind - they also had their deficiencies by foot but if the commentators purely compare football ability (rather than leadership ability or disposals per game) then CJ fits the bill as an important cog in the Saints footy machine of 2009/2010.

CJ has been one of the toughest - physically and mentally he gave our club his very very best