Where to for Rhys?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where to for Rhys?

I just see him as a GOP, but if he wasn't playing, would we miss him?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

After all the time and effort that's been put into him, I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think Rhys is ready to step up on a more consistent basis. The transition to life after Roo is well and truly on and Rhys is a major part of our ongoing plans. If we trade him now we run the very real risk that another club will reap the rewards for all the work that's been done. I've always believed Rhys would become a very good player, and I think he will show his best in the next couple of years. Keep him!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I just see him as a GOP, but if he wasn't playing, would we miss him?

I think you could be right on the first part but I think we would miss him. The forward ruck is a very important role in today's footy and few fit the bill. He is competing with guys like Vickery etc rather than Buddy or Riewoldt. It isn't the glamour role but is still important. If he was a gun forward we wouldn't risk his knees at the centre bounce.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
spert wrote:I just see him as a GOP, but if he wasn't playing, would we miss him?

I think you could be right on the first part but I think we would miss him. The forward ruck is a very important role in today's footy and few fit the bill. He is competing with guys like Vickery etc rather than Buddy or Riewoldt. It isn't the glamour role but is still important. If he was a gun forward we wouldn't risk his knees at the centre bounce.

+ 1.
yep I see him more like Vickey/Zac Clarke etc.

He will never be your real natural key fwd like Roo, Buddy and Tex Walker etc- those alpha dog fwds who are big, athletic AND have all the footy smarts are very rare and Rhys isnt one of them.

For instance Walker already has 200 career goals, is similar age to Rhys and sat out a season with a knee reco. Totally different animals.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 29 Aug 2014 12:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosco
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote: Change of subject (we do play the crows this week)- but out of interest Eddie Betts is tracking an almost identical career to Milne so far - 205 games, 336 goals which is an average of 1.6 goals/game which is identical to where Milne finished up.
?

Milne finished up with 574 from 275 games, ~2.1 per game.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I'm worried that Roo is the biggest hinderance to Rhys and his development. It's no coincedence that Stanley's best game was when he played the furthest away from the skipper..
I agree although Rhys' lack of instinct for physicality and body smarts worries me. I think they will do a major restructure of the forward line over the off-season and seriously look at the role Roo is doing, probably moving him out to the wing to act as the linkup man and leave the forward line for the next gen to take responsibility for. I mean next season we need to juggle in the forward line Stanley, Billings, White, Lee, Markworth and we may draft McCartin! Roo sucks up all the space and focus. Its time for the next gen to take control of our fwd 50. Its the only way they will learn and become coordinated.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: Change of subject (we do play the crows this week)- but out of interest Eddie Betts is tracking an almost identical career to Milne so far - 205 games, 336 goals which is an average of 1.6 goals/game which is identical to where Milne finished up.
?

Milne finished up with 574 from 275 games, ~2.1 per game.
Yep you are correct! My bad. I was amazed cos I always had 2.1 in my head as well .
turns out id just glanced at 2013! :oops:

Milney was bloody unbelievable!

Back on topic - Im still sceptical Rhys will ever be a number one or even number two fwd.
Yes we kick it to Roo way too much. Yes we can structure the fwd line to give Rhys more opportunities and use a style of play to suit him BUT surely that has to be outweighed by the fact he will get more quality defenders paying him more attention in Roos absence?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
St Chris wrote:I'm worried that Roo is the biggest hinderance to Rhys and his development. It's no coincedence that Stanley's best game was when he played the furthest away from the skipper..
I agree although Rhys' lack of instinct for physicality and body smarts worries me. I think they will do a major restructure of the forward line over the off-season and seriously look at the role Roo is doing, probably moving him out to the wing to act as the linkup man and leave the forward line for the next gen to take responsibility for. I mean next season we need to juggle in the forward line Stanley, Billings, White, Lee, Markworth and we may draft McCartin! Roo sucks up all the space and focus. Its time for the next gen to take control of our fwd 50. Its the only way they will learn and become coordinated.

A bit of myth that day that Rooy played away from the goals. He kicked 4 goals for a start and second myth is Rooy doesnt play seconds and these guys even struggle in that footy. The main reason Stanley played better that day is because the club controlled the footy in the midfield. I certainly hope Rooy plays mainly forward again next year so he can teach the big forwards how hard they have to work and where they should run.

spert
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
True Believer wrote:Where to? The forward line, and some short stints in the ruck.

If people cannot see that this bloke can really play then they are blind. The issues that need to be resolved (if they can be) are above the shoulders.....

That resolution may well come with nothing more complex than time........
It's called belief.

Once he and Spencer both have it we could see something special in 2016 and beyond.
I think I saw more promise in Spencer's last half against Richmond than I have with RS as as tall forward in the last couple of seasons..some guys are naturals and some aren't. If Hickey has a good preseason, he will be number one ruck and the pressure will be then on Longer and Stanley for the backup forward ruck role..and then Holmes and Pierce are hanging around in the wings too.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I think I saw more promise in Spencer's last half against Richmond than I have with RS as as tall forward in the last couple of seasons..some guys are naturals and some aren't. If Hickey has a good preseason, he will be number one ruck and the pressure will be then on Longer and Stanley for the backup forward ruck role..and then Holmes and Pierce are hanging around in the wings too.
This

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
spert wrote:I think I saw more promise in Spencer's last half against Richmond than I have with RS as as tall forward in the last couple of seasons..some guys are naturals and some aren't. If Hickey has a good preseason, he will be number one ruck and the pressure will be then on Longer and Stanley for the backup forward ruck role..and then Holmes and Pierce are hanging around in the wings too.
This
This x2

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I guess as spencer was taken in the 20's & rhys in the 40's we should be expecting more from him long term. We still need a ruck/fwd though.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Rhys doing his job.

115 marks for the season.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 31 Aug 2014 6:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Rhys just a non contributor week in week out.
Stanley has been pretty serviceable today and has done more than Longer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Longer just a kid - but yep you are right - Rhys is doing his job.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Far better ruck man than longer....showed that today........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint6709
Club Player

Stanley was great as ruck man Today especially in third until he ran out of steam -.he just needs to play like that as a forward.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Trade him for a reasonably high draft pick while he still has currency. Some on here claim he is better than Hickey and Longer- disagree. He is 24, has played 60 games and is gifted games because of his height and the fact that he has pace. Stanley is always missing when the heat is on. Then he bobs up for cheap touches when the game is in junk time. We would have won more games and been in matches for longer had Hickey played the season out. Pun unintentional.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Stanley was great as ruck man Today especially in third until he ran out of steam -.he just needs to play like that as a forward.
was he? we lost by 80 points and our midfield was ineffective in a game where he was given an opportunity to ruck for most of the match. His supposed strength is his pace, and at 24 and 60 games he shouldn't be " running out of steam."

I'm sorry if I seem hypercritical of the guy but he just seems to lack the endeavour or attack on the ball that the modern game requires.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Far better ruck man than longer....showed that today........
:shock:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saint6709 wrote:Stanley was great as ruck man Today especially in third until he ran out of steam -.he just needs to play like that as a forward.
He did ok. Was serviceable. 'Great' seems a little on the generous side.....

Did a few things in the game. He made the flight on time. Didnt forget his footy boots.

But youd be a great dad or teacher or jr Footy coach :D

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You don't trade these sort of guys away. You don't put 6 years into a guy that will be coming into his prime and then say ta ta only to start the process with someone else. He'll be OK.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Rhys doing his job.

Nice edit mate...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Rhys doing his job.

Nice edit mate...
Cheers :D :D

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:You don't trade these sort of guys away. You don't put 6 years into a guy that will be coming into his prime and then say ta ta only to start the process with someone else. He'll be OK.
But can he actually play magnifisaint? Or rather, can he play to the required standard? He has teased, such as the game against Freo, but then reverts to type, like he did against the Suns the following week. When do you say, enough's enough?