Who will we trade in?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who will we trade in?

GWS have a few handy mids that we could go after then. O'Rourke, Treloar. etc.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:GWS have a few handy mids that we could go after then. O'Rourke, Treloar. etc.
Do we know O'Rourke is actually any good? He's only managed to play five games and he's 20. Only one game over 10 disposals. Could just turn out to be a bust of a number 2 pick?

supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:I forgot Cam Delaney, brother of Luke. He's not played senior footy this year because of a combination of a foot injury (that'd make him fit in well with us!) and the fact that there are others in the queue ahead of him. If he goes as well as his brother, we might get a good value cheapie!
Was told by a Norf guy ( who seems to know a lot about their trading) that we made an approach to Norf about Cam at the same time as his Bro.

We were supposedly informed that Cam was not for trade.
He tells me Cam was in fact our first preference.

If things have changed would like to see Cam down back with his brother, if Norf think they are close to a premiership,they probably would like Monty and someone else or draft swap?

Cam is supposedly the more talented of the pair, and I'm wrapped in his Bro.

We probably have some posters in the know who can confirm or deny our intrest last year?

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
borderbarry wrote:GWS have a few handy mids that we could go after then. O'Rourke, Treloar. etc.
Do we know O'Rourke is actually any good? He's only managed to play five games and he's 20. Only one game over 10 disposals. Could just turn out to be a bust of a number 2 pick?

He hasn't done much yet but I guess they are watching him to see if it's attitude or just too many similar types etc.

PJ
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote:Let's look at a team we can put together of players aged 24 and under. That will tell us what we need

B Webster. ......... Shenton
HB Wright ........... Roberton
C Newnes Dunstan Templeton
HF Billings Stanley Acres
F Lee. Bruce. Saunders

R Hickey, Weller, ........

Inter. Longer, Savage, White, Curren, Markworth, Murdock, Siposs, Pierce
Not sure about that defence....small skinny types. Agree that Delaney (close enough in age) could be in there and I'd have Savage ahead of Shentonand Wright on form.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Any chance we could lure Jarryd Lyons home? A local boy we supposedly had a crack at last year. What would we have to pay? Has played well in the SANFL, but has not been able to crack it for a senior game on a regular basis.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
citywest

SaintPav wrote:
citywest wrote:Would Greater Western Sydney look at this....

We give them pick 1 and Montagna for Patton.
Your posts are so predictable and insipid.
Please tell me why you think this question is "so predictable and insipid"? After all, it was only a question which I was interested in seeing what other supporters thought. IMHO, if GWS accepted the offer I would be very happy. Patton is exactly what we need and Montagna really only has 2 more years left.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I doubt GWS would offload any of their three, young gun forwards. I don't think we have much to offer them. Gilbo probably had some currency, but his last two years have been ruined by injury. Armo might be the other one, but with Lenny going, I doubt the pelican would be willing to lose him. I don't think Joey would be enough to get the deal done, anyway.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The two that strike me as "gettable" are Sam Reid and Tom Mitchell from the swines. Reid would give us a next generation forward, while Mitchell, although not overly quick, is a ball magnet.
Thoughts?
I like the idea of Mitchell, but I reckon Reid is massively overrated, wouldn't want us to pay much for him.

Playing in a much better side, Reid's numbers are worse than Stanley's… another tall and blonde hiding the fact that he isn't playing very good football. People wanted to de-list Rhys a week ago… and give up a high pick for Reid.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp ... rs=2057%2C

He could come good, but you have to wonder why the Swans paid so much for Tippett and Franklin, if Reid was any good they wouldn't have needed both of those two. 2nd round pick at best IMO.

I started a thread asking about Mitchell a few weeks ago, the consensus was that he would never leave Sydney, but he is much too good to not be playing AFL, would love to land him some how.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
White Winmar wrote:The two that strike me as "gettable" are Sam Reid and Tom Mitchell from the swines. Reid would give us a next generation forward, while Mitchell, although not overly quick, is a ball magnet.
Thoughts?
I like the idea of Mitchell, but I reckon Reid is massively overrated, wouldn't want us to pay much for him.

Playing in a much better side, Reid's numbers are worse than Stanley's… another tall and blonde hiding the fact that he isn't playing very good football. People wanted to de-list Rhys a week ago… and give up a high pick for Reid.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp ... rs=2057%2C

He could come good, but you have to wonder why the Swans paid so much for Tippett and Franklin, if Reid was any good they wouldn't have needed both of those two. 2nd round pick at best IMO.

I started a thread asking about Mitchell a few weeks ago, the consensus was that he would never leave Sydney, but he is much too good to not be playing AFL, would love to land him some how.
I saw Ben Griffiths play the televised VFL match today and he looks a player with out too much of a price tag. Vickery might have given him a senior run unfortunately but he's worth looking at.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Your posts are so predictable and insipid.
Please tell me why you think this question is "so predictable and insipid"? After all, it was only a question which I was interested in seeing what other supporters thought. IMHO, if GWS accepted the offer I would be very happy. Patton is exactly what we need and Montagna really only has 2 more years left.
Why do you think Einstein!

But since you asked.

Predictable because as per your usual MO, you're trying to be contentious by suggesting that we trade Montagna as well.

Insipid because like you, it's a dumb deal and we would be overpaying.

Patton is a lumbering forward and has not impressed me at all. He's slow.

Your sig says it all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm starting to think we should sound out Mc Carthy. He isn't even mentioned and was a first round pick rated the second best forward last year.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Actually Kyle Martin and Tim Broomhead should be looked at. Mitchell from Sydney, Clurey, Shiel, Stewart and Jaksche or Corr.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Someone, elsewhere, mentioned Ben Griffiths from Richmond. I checked with my a Tiger tragic mates and they agreed they would be delighted to get rid of him, even for a "Thommo" trade of a Mars bar and a can of Coke. Can't get a game ahead of Vickery, either. No thanks !

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

re S Reid

Goodes will retire this year, so Reid ain't going anywhere

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
FQF
SS Life Member

terry smith rules wrote:re S Reid

Reckon Goodes has another year in him - he is playing very good footy.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:re S Reid

Reckon Goodes has another year in him - he is playing very good footy.
might depend if they win the flag

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
ace
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:

They'd have to throw in Cameron for me to take that deal CW.

IMHO Monty stays unless he wants out.

I want Petracca with our first draft pick!

Then, next draft (2015) we can liberate the power forward likes of Patton... we have cap space and the GWoganS won't... :twisted:

Patience and timing are the keys with list building... the Pelican knows this...

For how not to do it, see Carlscum and the too early stage of their rebuilding that they brought in pokie- boy (but I wanna not let on about that coz it's really shameful) Judd..

and they've learnt nothing... they're marooned mid-table, yet they brought in an expensive aging Daisy.

Compare and contrast: we have an exciting and talented young list, and in a couple of years when they are ready to challenge, we have the cap space to 'show the light' to the likes of Patton, Sloane and Shiel (and we will get them/their ilk to 'see the light')...

whilst Carlscum are stuck with a poorly constructed list that they can't improve on, coz instead of what we'll be liberating, they are stuck paying Daisy and pokie boy. (No wonder Mickey Meltdown :oops: is clumsily trying to push Judd to retire.) :lol:

I mean, seriously, who would you rather be following now, Carlscum, or the exciting club in the wonderful tri-panel...?
GWS with their vast wealth of future star players like the look of Petracca too.
They may be willing to trade Boyd to be certain to get him.
How would you rate Boyd versus McCartin versus Petracca.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

ace wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Then, next draft (2015) we can liberate the power forward likes of Patton... we have cap space and the GWoganS won't... :twisted:

Patience and timing are the keys with list building... the Pelican knows this...

For how not to do it, see Carlscum and the too early stage of their rebuilding that they brought in pokie- boy (but I wanna not let on about that coz it's really shameful) Judd..

and they've learnt nothing... they're marooned mid-table, yet they brought in an expensive aging Daisy.

Compare and contrast: we have an exciting and talented young list, and in a couple of years when they are ready to challenge, we have the cap space to 'show the light' to the likes of Patton, Sloane and Shiel (and we will get them/their ilk to 'see the light')...

whilst Carlscum are stuck with a poorly constructed list that they can't improve on, coz instead of what we'll be liberating, they are stuck paying Daisy and pokie boy. (No wonder Mickey Meltdown :oops: is clumsily trying to push Judd to retire.) :lol:

I mean, seriously, who would you rather be following now, Carlscum, or the exciting club in the wonderful tri-panel...?
GWS with their vast wealth of future star players like the look of Petracca too.
Hi Ace, I have no idea (in general, but also in this case) re Paton vs Boyd. I think that Cameron is a star.

From reading the draft assessments, I do.not.want.McCartin. Sounds very very risky to me.

Not sure he's quite big enough, but the problem is that he's sounding very much a one-trick pony... mainly relies on finding space on the lead, which is very hard to do repeatedly in the modern game (and I bet he won't ever have anywhere near Roo's running abilities). But worse, if that one-trick, or any others he may have, doesn't come off... he can only play the one position. That's a disaster in the modern game. I actually wonder if he'll even make it at all, let alone play as well as one would hope from a number one draft pick(?)

And if that assessment sounds harsh, it's not. It's based on the assessments of those who do the draft previews... and as we all know, they tend to be overly positive...

Yes we do need key forwards, however they will be there at the end of season 2015 draft. That gives us the 2015 playing season to see how Rhys, Tom Lee, Spencer White, Bruce, and Sippa even, are travelling. Hence, I reckon that we'll have a much better idea of our actual key forward needs going into the 2015 draft, than we do now.

I think that in this draft we should look to get at least one (two, should we decide that Bruce is to play mainly forward) big key defenders... starting with Delaney's little bro' if possible... and like with Delaney and Bruce, achieving this should require smart drafting c/f expending a high draft picks.

What we do know right now is that we need elite midfielders.

Petracca sounds like a ready-to-go bigger (and faster?) version of Dunstan. (Now that's not too shabby. :D ) IMHO it would be reasonable to expect that Petracca should be able to kick goals as an on-baller and from a forward flank... hence spreading the goal kicking load, and all that...

And I reckon that, that part of the assessment of him is pretty safe to come to fruition. Which means that picking him would be very very low risk to ensure we get a damn good player.

Then there's the possible upside...
from reading more than one pre-draft assessor, Petracca could well become a once-in-a-generation type midfielder. :twisted:

So that's my (no doubt flawed) assessment/reasoning made from afar. But I don't think it's flawed to say that we will know far better our key forward needs by around this time next year... and prime-choice key forwards will be available at the 2015 draft.

So I say (sure, gift-horse type opportunities aside), that we should hold-off on grabbing key forwards with prime draft picks till next year's draft, because then we will know far far better how we are developing in that department.

I reckon it will be very interesting to see how the Pelican and team assess all of this...

Thoughts, Ace and others...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
citywest

Good post Dave. We should hold off on picking up a power forward until the 2015 National Draft/Trade. If Stanley keeps improving then he will play the CHF/2nd ruck type role for the next 7 years. We also should start playing Lee as the permanent full forward and give him the whole of 2015 to prove himself. In the meantime we grab Petracca with our first pick this year. Come this time next year we may realize that we don't need to recruit another power forward so we keep drafting elite midfielders. If it goes the other way and Stanley and Lee flop then we can make a play for one of Cameron, Patton or Boyd.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Petracca kicked 3 yesterday for Eastern vs Geelong - no info re: disposal stats - kid called Blake Hardwick kicked 8

Wright kicked 2 for Calder against Oakleigh - again no disposal stats - Ahern named in the best

Josh Dunkley kicked 4 for Gippsland and was their best in their victory over Northern

Sandringham only kicked 2 gials against the Stingrays and Brayshaw wasnt named in the best

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/comp_info ... 4-0&pool=1

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
ace wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:

Hi Ace, I have no idea (in general, but also in this case) re Paton vs Boyd. I think that Cameron is a star.

From reading the draft assessments, I do.not.want.McCartin. Sounds very very risky to me.

Not sure he's quite big enough, but the problem is that he's sounding very much a one-trick pony... mainly relies on finding space on the lead, which is very hard to do repeatedly in the modern game (and I bet he won't ever have anywhere near Roo's running abilities). But worse, if that one-trick, or any others he may have, doesn't come off... he can only play the one position. That's a disaster in the modern game. I actually wonder if he'll even make it at all, let alone play as well as one would hope from a number one draft pick(?)

And if that assessment sounds harsh, it's not. It's based on the assessments of those who do the draft previews... and as we all know, they tend to be overly positive...

Yes we do need key forwards, however they will be there at the end of season 2015 draft. That gives us the 2015 playing season to see how Rhys, Tom Lee, Spencer White, Bruce, and Sippa even, are travelling. Hence, I reckon that we'll have a much better idea of our actual key forward needs going into the 2015 draft, than we do now.

I think that in this draft we should look to get at least one (two, should we decide that Bruce is to play mainly forward) big key defenders... starting with Delaney's little bro' if possible... and like with Delaney and Bruce, achieving this should require smart drafting c/f expending a high draft picks.

What we do know right now is that we need elite midfielders.

Petracca sounds like a ready-to-go bigger (and faster?) version of Dunstan. (Now that's not too shabby. :D ) IMHO it would be reasonable to expect that Petracca should be able to kick goals as an on-baller and from a forward flank... hence spreading the goal kicking load, and all that...

And I reckon that, that part of the assessment of him is pretty safe to come to fruition. Which means that picking him would be very very low risk to ensure we get a damn good player.

Then there's the possible upside...
from reading more than one pre-draft assessor, Petracca could well become a once-in-a-generation type midfielder. :twisted:

So that's my (no doubt flawed) assessment/reasoning made from afar. But I don't think it's flawed to say that we will know far better our key forward needs by around this time next year... and prime-choice key forwards will be available at the 2015 draft.

So I say (sure, gift-horse type opportunities aside), that we should hold-off on grabbing key forwards with prime draft picks till next year's draft, because then we will know far far better how we are developing in that department.

I reckon it will be very interesting to see how the Pelican and team assess all of this...

Thoughts, Ace and others...?
Yep, great post, fully agree. I also believe we should announce we're selecting Petracca early on. Then let's see who GWS offers up in an attempt to grab in, then unsettling that Giants player in the meantime.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:Good post Dave. We should hold off on picking up a power forward until the 2015 National Draft/Trade. If Stanley keeps improving then he will play the CHF/2nd ruck type role for the next 7 years. We also should start playing Lee as the permanent full forward and give him the whole of 2015 to prove himself. In the meantime we grab Petracca with our first pick this year. Come this time next year we may realize that we don't need to recruit another power forward so we keep drafting elite midfielders. If it goes the other way and Stanley and Lee flop then we can make a play for one of Cameron, Patton or Boyd.
This is a reasonable argument.

Also on 2016 onwards we may start to look at FA fora forward if we dont go for one in 2015

You are garbage - Enough said
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

citywest wrote:Good post Dave. We should hold off on picking up a power forward until the 2015 National Draft/Trade. If Stanley keeps improving then he will play the CHF/2nd ruck type role for the next 7 years. We also should start playing Lee as the permanent full forward and give him the whole of 2015 to prove himself. In the meantime we grab Petracca with our first pick this year. Come this time next year we may realize that we don't need to recruit another power forward so we keep drafting elite midfielders. If it goes the other way and Stanley and Lee flop then we can make a play for one of Cameron, Patton or Boyd.
... and great summary CW. You are far more succinct than I. :D

Heidelberg_Saint wrote:... I also believe we should announce we're selecting Petracca early on. Then let's see who GWS offers up in an attempt to grab in, then unsettling that Giants player in the meantime.
... and you H_S are evil. I like your thinking! 8-)

(Just gotta keep that bit of powder dry though, till we know if we are to finish below them or not. If yes, then yeah, lets mess with their wogan minds. :twisted: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Pleasing
Club Player

I am concerned about McCartin as well but I do think we need to address the Key Forward hole in our list sooner rather than later. As can be seen by how long it is taking to work out if Stanley, Lee, White, Sipposs are going to make it as forwards, Key Forwards take much longer to develop than midfielders. Patton and Boyd are taking a while to make their mark and both were clear No 1 in their draft pool. If we wait till 2015 to draft a Key Forward we will probably be waiting till 2020 before they really make an impact. Took Hawkins 5 years, Daniher is all hype but little impact. The Suns key forwards similar. Hoggan can't even get on the park for the Dees. Part of our drafting success and Hawthorns too was committing to the Key Forwards in the draft early in your cycle at the bottom. We picked Riewoldt and Kosi in 2000 before concentrating on midifielders in the next few drafts. Hawthorn picked Buddy and Roughead early in their cycle then built the team around them. Arguably these are the only teams who have been able to draft their way to success from the bottom. Geelong and Collingwood both got Father Son gifts in Hawkins and Cloke.

The best solution is to get one of Patton or Boyd now if we can't do this then we need to cross our fingers and pump for McCartin. If we ignore fixing this hole we run the risk of never fixing the problem like Carlton and the Western Bulldogs. Good Midfielders will be found in every draft good Key Forwards are rare as hens teeth. Patton or Boyd would cost plenty but this is probably the year we will be in the box seat to secure them we will probably have pick 1 and the Giants can use that to get what they want in this draft whether that is Petraca or a replacement KPP for the one they trade. GWS will want more than pick one and that will be tricky to satisfy. The bigger hurdle will be convincing Boyd or Patton to come to St Kilda.

Let me in