Stanley, a new dawn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley, a new dawn

SainterK wrote:I'm here owning it.

Said it, stand by it.

I think he was putting in half hearted efforts.

Don't care if people disagree.

It's hardly a slight on his character, players put in less than 100% all the time.

Its a slight on him. Cant see it any other way.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I think K;s comment has merit

he did put the head down for a bit
i fully believe he is a confidence player
needs others to be up and about and for himself to get a good start and get a couple of goals
think most players have had a lazy patch prob except roo and the len dog who just bust a gut regardless of form and delivery

rated the kid for ages (sa boy so theres bias)

lets just hope he turns into the future of our club huh :D

nothing wrong with standing by ya thoughts K
go sainters
Definitely a confidence player.

Completely agree.

Has all the attributes.

Alan said he played deeper, suited him if that was the case.

I don't wish him a poor career in some weird twisted wanting to be right, I want him to shine.

Cheers M

PJ
SS Life Member

The thing that other clubs will have observed is how well he goes when he is getting good delivery.

Not saying that we will or should but I believe his trade value has just gone up considerably.

When you see that kind of talent in a bottom side I'll bet there will be several higher positioned/challenging clubs thinking they can pry him loose for the right price - the question for the saints will be do they see him as critical to their structure going forward. I'd say yes.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You said that more than he wasn't putting in maximum effort but that he was faking it.

Anyone who wobbles their head to look like they are trying is a nob.

Integrity.

Character.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

course you want him to shine
we all want him to shine

yesterday he shone a bit
lets just hope he is running long life globes and he shines along with others all the way to the next premiership

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I think K;s comment has merit

he did put the head down for a bit
i fully believe he is a confidence player
needs others to be up and about and for himself to get a good start and get a couple of goals
think most players have had a lazy patch prob except roo and the len dog who just bust a gut regardless of form and delivery

rated the kid for ages (sa boy so theres bias)

lets just hope he turns into the future of our club huh :D

nothing wrong with standing by ya thoughts K
go sainters
With due respect Matrix, you have just contradicted yourself.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

with all due respect no i havent

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

You laughed at her comment about Rhys' pretend effort and disagreed then you said her comment had merit. I guess you probably know what you mean though.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not the entire comment pav
re yeah he did look a tad disinterested maybe and then lack of effort

dunno about this head wobble thing
just let that go
lets focus on what he has now shown he can do

but

if he comes out and has quiet ones for the next 3 weeks whats the reaction of fans going to be
hopefully its not expected 100% of the time now
he is still young still needs to work on confidence (imo) so could be a bit spasmodic over the next few games maybe

then again he could come out and completely dominate!

dunno
just glad he finally had a great game and hope his confidence is sky high

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For the Stanley baggers:

Last night was the FIRST time that Stanley was played as the No 1 forward. Roo was instructed to steer clear. And clearly it had been reinforced with the team to LOOK for Stanley and to honour his leads.

Last night was the FIRST time that Stanley was given decent supply by his midfield group.

Last night was one of the FEW times that Stanley got to play as part of a FULLY FUNCTIONING FORWARD LINE, with goal kicking mids
( So Freo could not just try and shut down any one forward)

I have watched many a game were he has led, and led again, and led again and just simply been ignored in favour of Roo. Many of his supposed "bad" games were actually due to 1/ being ignored and 2/ the midfield and HBs just blazing away indifferently.

As I have posted before, when you actually look at Stanley's stats, then for someone his age, and number of games, they stack up well when compared to other key forwards.

The problem has not been Stanley, who is developing ok, but in unrealistic expectation's of fans with his game...and that they keep comparing him to Roo, at the height of his powers, who is one of the greatest CHF's of all time.

Stanley is also of lean build, and so he is never going to be a crash and bash rugged Jonathon Brown type. We need to make the most of his height, pace and run,
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 20 Jul 2014 12:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:He has put in faux effort many a time.

Perhaps go back and look at the early games of most key forwards :idea:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Loving how he is taking a lot of his marks hitting the ball at a high pace - defenders are not quick enough to keep with him and if he builds a tank then watch out

Couple of times he found space in the forward 50 when there didn't seem to be any space to be found

Majority of the time too he has sticky hands - that one hander under the pump will give him loads of confidence - if he builds his core he will be extremely hard to move off the ball in those one out situations

One thing I would like to see him do better is to hit a few packs harder when the ball is at ground level - yes I know he is a tall lad but he has a big frame and at times he seems reluctant to use it to crunch opposition players when the chance is there.

Rhys is only 23 yo and still has huge scope for improvement - he is still developing and it will be a few more years till we see him hit his peak

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:For the Stanley baggers:

Last night was the FIRST time that Stanley was played as the No 1 forward. Roo was instructed to steer clear. And clearly it had been reinforced with the team to LOOK for Stanley and to honour his leads.

Last night was the FIRST time that Stanley was given decent supply by his midfield group.

Last night was one of the FEW times that Stanley got to play as part of a FULLY FUNCTIONING FORWARD LINE, with goal kicking mids

I have watched many a game were he has led, and led again, and led again and just simply been ignored in favour of Roo. Many of his supposed "bad" games were actually due to 1/ being ignored and 2/ the midfield and HBs just blazing away indifferently.

As I have posted before, when you actually look at Stanley's stats, then for someone his age, and number of games, they stack up well when compared to other key forwards.

The problem has not been Stanley, who is developing ok, but in unrealistic expectation's of fans with his game...and that they keep comparing him to Roo, at the height of his powers, who is one of the greatest CHF's of all time.

Stanley is also of lean build, and so he is never going to be a crash and bash rugged Jonathon Brown type. We need to make the most of his height, pace and run,
top post.... agree 100% he looked like a new man last night. power to him lets hope this is just the start of the dawn of Stan

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Royston wrote:I'm waiting on the Bruce - Lee foward combination.....will chop any backline to pieces !!
Ha ha, pay that!

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
PJ
SS Life Member

Not sure dawn is good name for a footballer..think I'll stick to Rhys.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Needs to go to Bruce or Weller's hairdresser to get that tough look happening.
Failing that hang around Fisher and some of his accomplices!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Sticking with Rhys Stanley may become the best decision on a player the club has made in a long long time.

He looked confidant, strong and sharp. Took a bunch of marks, ;presented beautifully, used his size and speed to its best advantage and kicked long goals

We did win by a lot which helped him look even better but based on some of his other performances this year and break out game like this has been coming. Long may he continue in this vein of form

BANG BANG
Someone once said that Rhys was arguably going to be one of our most important players...as far as team structure is concerned. He got a few things wrong, but I think he was on the money here.
skeptic wrote:i don't u/s people's opinions on players fluctuate so much from game to game

Stanley is a developing forward/ruck... he's been heavily maligned over his career mostly due to his lack of presence. In this area he has taken strides this season. He's taken more contested marks and shown that if he reads the flight... he's pretty strong grab.

In a team that has been injury trodden, and at times lacked both support rucks/forwards and good midfield supply... he has been inconsistent and very ineffective at times but also shown promise at others. He's looked better when we've played better.

This one performance doesn't = coming of age... nor should some of his poor performances mean he should be cut.
His attack on his opponents and his ability to defend when the oppositions rucks are floating forward are where he needs to improve. Griffin was terrible yesterday and Freo as a team were off their game.

Rhys is doing everything asked of him when he's leading and receiving the footy, but if Rhys can impact a contest when he's defending (at times when our No. 1 ruckman is off the ground) then he will be of so much more value to his team.

If Rhys is going to be our next CHF then the above is N/A - not applicable

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:For the Stanley baggers:

top post.... agree 100% he looked like a new man last night. power to him lets hope this is just the start of the dawn of Stan
+1 also. Every week I sit in front of a row of vocal Stanley baggers. They were remarkably quiet on Saturday. I enjoyed that almost as much as the win.

Always loyal
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I just hope everyone can temper their expectations… He's gone from complete spud to world-beater in 3 hours.

His form has been building this year IMO and although Saturday was his best game yet I don't think we can expect that kind of game each week, hopefully he can build some consistency though.
Last edited by dragit on Mon 21 Jul 2014 11:41am, edited 1 time in total.

Saints43
Club Player

He's a key forward who's played 53 games.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was cooked. Four weeks ago, he was done. Nothing to see here. Was all keen for Spencer White to come in for him.

I was wrong. Just on the back of one game. I was clearly, completely wrong.

OHMYFREAKINGOD how good does he look when he actually gets some decent delivery. He WILL prove to be such a difficult matchup. His basic marking technique, for a bloke of his size, just makes him very difficult to spoil. Watch he replay and see how far out he takes the ball.

I really, really hope he can just build on this.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

Reach Stanley has arrived.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

markp wrote:Reach Stanley has arrived.
He kept sticking those arms up, and the ball kept sticking.

It was like Buckets running around in platform footy boots. With extra Velcro.

Always loyal
supersaints
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:

Your comment reminded me of the day Jack Dyer (commentating) and he called " he reached over the pack and his arms were like giant testicals as he plucked in the mark"

Quite a ballsy effort indeed

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:

Your comment reminded me of the day Jack Dyer (commentating) and he called " he reached over the pack and his arms were like giant testicals as he plucked in the mark"

Quite a ballsy effort indeed
As Jack once said, 'he looked like a gigantic tarantuloupe.'