What Roo needs.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: What Roo needs.

In most cases yes, but sometimes it might be better for him and the team for him to not make those leads. Sometimes he's a victim of his own amazing work ethic. I'm not ctitcizing him, because he is one of the most admirable players to have ever played the game. Few players have commanded equal respect. Hayes is one.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:In most cases yes, but sometimes it might be better for him and the team for him to not make those leads. Sometimes he's a victim of his own amazing work ethic. I'm not ctitcizing him, because he is one of the most admirable players to have ever played the game. Few players have commanded equal respect. Hayes is one.

He has to lead as all forwards do. In most forward set ups there would be dummy leads where the pleyers know not to kick it to that player. I suggest the other players work rates dont allow that to happen often enough. I know people wont beleive this but we dont lick it to Roo every time. Maybe 50% or even less which is still way to much but it says more about the other forwards than him. If roo doesnt lead then what does he do? In todays footy the bomb is out and Rooy cant mark that type of footy anyway.

bigballs
Club Player

Now I might get ridiculed for this, but in my opinion I think Roo needs to get out of the forward line and go back to the backline for a while to take the pressure off him.

Having 2 or more blokes on him all the time coupled with poor disposal from our blokes must really give him the s***s, no wonder the poor bloke get's frustrated.

Personally, I reckon he could become a great swingman for us, the Bombers have done it with Carlisle, the Blues have done it with Henderson, I can't see any reason why we can't do it....it might even prolong his career!!

Let's face it, the season was well and truly over for us a long time ago, we have nothing to lose by trying it for the remainder of the season......hell, we may even learn something!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I've thought about that a few times over the past couple of years. He would dominate at CHB

jamesmc
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:He needs some form of protection from the umpires to be honest about it. Why do the rules change when a defender is infringing on him?

Yep for the first part for sure.

Its been as bad as youll see this year I dont know if its just they cant umpire or choose to ignore infringments against him.
Nick is paying for his continual playing for a free kick.

#gosaintas
Club Player

I must say, his continual sooking and pleading is holding our players back in development and the reason he is given short thrift as a captain. You just never see a premiership captain with his weak traits.

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:I must say, his continual sooking and pleading is holding our players back in development and the reason he is given short thrift as a captain. You just never see a premiership captain with his weak traits.
+1

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:Now I might get ridiculed for this, but in my opinion I think Roo needs to get out of the forward line and go back to the backline for a while to take the pressure off him.

Having 2 or more blokes on him all the time coupled with poor disposal from our blokes must really give him the s***s, no wonder the poor bloke get's frustrated.

Personally, I reckon he could become a great swingman for us, the Bombers have done it with Carlisle, the Blues have done it with Henderson, I can't see any reason why we can't do it....it might even prolong his career!!

Let's face it, the season was well and truly over for us a long time ago, we have nothing to lose by trying it for the remainder of the season......hell, we may even learn something!!
I am with you bigballs. Even if it is just 5 mins a quarter. Mix it up. Make the opposition think.
It is a team game. It is not the Nick Riewoldt show. Yes hes a brilliant player but we are still BOTTOM. Its a team game.
Reality is good midfields win you flags.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bigballs wrote:Now I might get ridiculed for this, but in my opinion I think Roo needs to get out of the forward line and go back to the backline for a while to take the pressure off him.

I am with you bigballs. Even if it is just 5 mins a quarter. Mix it up. Make the opposition think.
It is a team game. It is not the Nick Riewoldt show. Yes hes a brilliant player but we are still BOTTOM. Its a team game.

I agree too. In 2010 in the normal season against Collingwood, when Roo went down it changed to whole forward line setup and we won. If he would have played out that game, we would have lost, as we were to predictable like now.

Time to make Stanley accountable and the main man in the forward line. If he aint up to it, then get rid of him and find someone else.

The longer Roo plays forward, the longer its going to hurt us and we need to learn how to play without him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I agree too. In 2010 in the normal season against Collingwood, when Roo went down it changed to whole forward line setup and we won. If he would have played out that game, we would have lost, as we were to predictable like now.

Time to make Stanley accountable and the main man in the forward line. If he aint up to it, then get rid of him and find someone else.

The longer Roo plays forward, the longer its going to hurt us and we need to learn how to play without him.

I will say it again. Why cant these other forwards like Stanley be the main men at sandy. Rooy isnt playing and its a pretty poor comp compared to the AFL. We would love to think Rooy is the problem but the problem to me stands out like dogs balls. They just arent up to AFL footy at the moment.When was the last great forward that went back to to the backline? And why do forwards need development but not the backline?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

You've got big balls to say that around here :wink:

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:I must say, his continual sooking and pleading is holding our players back in development and the reason he is given short thrift as a captain. You just never see a premiership captain with his weak traits.
So the ball didn't bounce into Milne's hands because Riewoldt didn't meet your criteria for a Premiership captain?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
bigballs
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Yeah I know BC, but seriously.......Roo isn't going to be around forever and like I said in my OP, this season was well and truly over for us a long time ago so we may as well experiment a little.

Roo himself said that he'd like to play further up the ground, maybe not in the backline, but I think even he realises that maybe they should be trying something else, that something else presumably being a different forward set up.......won't hurt to try it for a few weeks.

We have to start thinking about the future and how the team functions without Roo in our forward line.....granted, we probably don't have the right players to take us forward, but we may as well give it a go anyway with what we've got.......what have we got to lose?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigballs wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Yeah I know BC, but seriously.......Roo isn't going to be around forever and like I said in my OP, this season was well and truly over for us a long time ago so we may as well experiment a little.
Yes I agree with you. Maybe wing rather than chb though.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I will say it again. Why cant these other forwards like Stanley be the main men at sandy. Rooy isnt playing and its a pretty poor comp compared to the AFL. We would love to think Rooy is the problem but the problem to me stands out like dogs balls. They just arent up to AFL footy at the moment.When was the last great forward that went back to to the backline? And why do forwards need development but not the backline?
Richo did it and nearly won a brownlow. Doesn't have to play back. On the wing would be suffice

jamesmc
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
So the ball didn't bounce into Milne's hands because Riewoldt didn't meet your criteria for a Premiership captain?
We shouldn't have relied on the ball to bounce into milne's hands if roo had of played a captains game in the GF.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
We shouldn't have relied on the ball to bounce into milne's hands if roo had of played a captains game in the GF.
Oh FFS Roo got us into the 2009 GF as a start.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
jamesmc
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:
Oh FFS Roo got us into the 2009 GF as a start.
All im saying is to be known in history as a great captain, you need to perform in the GF if your team makes it. And he hasn't . IMO poor in 09 and average 10 [x2].

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

In the '09 Grand Final, which of Tom Harley's 5 disposals was his best?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
jamesmc
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:In the '09 Grand Final, which of Tom Harley's 5 disposals was his best?
Clearly helped keep our big forwards in check during that game. Also played a great backman's game in Geelong's 07 win.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:In the '09 Grand Final, which of Tom Harley's 5 disposals was his best?
Clearly helped keep our big forwards in check during that game. Also played a great backman's game in Geelong's 07 win.
The weather helped them more than any skill. Harley was a good plodder. He is now a poor media personality. Some people are just touched.

8856brother wrote:
jamesmc wrote:
The weather helped them more than any skill. Harley was a good plodder. He is now a poor media personality. Some people are just touched.
You're right! Just ask Rolf Harris!

(What, too soon?) 8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:

What a load of crap and looking through some of your posts confirms a load of crap.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Richo did it and nearly won a brownlow. Doesn't have to play back. On the wing would be suffice

Yep because the game hasnt changed since then. tell me any skills Rooy has as real onballer. I cant think of one.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I will say it again. Why cant these other forwards like Stanley be the main men at sandy. Rooy isnt playing and its a pretty poor comp compared to the AFL. We would love to think Rooy is the problem but the problem to me stands out like dogs balls. They just arent up to AFL footy at the moment.When was the last great forward that went back to to the backline? And why do forwards need development but not the backline?
Why do you compare Rooy with Stanley. Does Rooy go into the ruck? Stanley is a back up ruckmen who can play a good role as a second tall and he's not a top 5 or even a top 20 draft pick is he? I'm willing to cut Stanley some slack and after 50 games he's developing into a valuable contributor.

Rooy should be accountable because his attitude on field is not that of a leader who is thinking about team first. First of all I reckon Rooy played poorly against the Tigers. Secondly - and most importantly - his body language warrants that he goes back to the VFL!! At least he'd be used to that standard of delivery from the mids. It won't happen though. Maybe that's a good theory from you, but it only applies to everyone else doesn't it!?

I reckon the Hawks with Hodgey playing VFL and Carlton with Judd playing VFL were calculated decisions that weren't just for the sake of the individuals fitness. The clubs sent a powerful message to all their players. I know those blokes were coming back from injuries, but I wonder how the Saints would handle Rooy's ego if he was asked to play with the VFL boys.

As we transition to focusing on development and opportunity and experimenting on the future I understand that it is difficult for fans and for our senior players. Rooy is a legend of the Saints and to the fans he is a hero, but coaches and footy departments who practice hero worshipping aren't going to win us any flags