Weller reported

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Weller reported

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Two men collide, both going for the football. Neither raise an elbow or forearm. Absolutely no malice from either player, who both put nothing but their bodies on the line. One comes off second best. The man still on his feet gets reported.

Mickey Mouse stuff. The umpire should have been reported by one of his colleagues for wasting everyone's time. I couple of weeks in the Magoos for that umpire should be enough for him to contemplate why on earth he made such a rash decision. Tone it down, Ump!

Im unsure, no sorry totally sure an umpire should not get dropped for reporting a player and it ens up to be incorrect.
What if he pays an unwarranted free kick?
Weller contested the footy and protected his head. His opponent did one but not the other. Should not have been a free kick.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Two men collide, both going for the football. Neither raise an elbow or forearm. Absolutely no malice from either player, who both put nothing but their bodies on the line. One comes off second best. The man still on his feet gets reported.

Mickey Mouse stuff. The umpire should have been reported by one of his colleagues for wasting everyone's time. I couple of weeks in the Magoos for that umpire should be enough for him to contemplate why on earth he made such a rash decision. Tone it down, Ump!

Im unsure, no sorry totally sure an umpire should not get dropped for reporting a player and it ens up to be incorrect.
Okay, so perhaps a suspension is a little too harsh. But I hope they assess his decision to report Weller. There was barely a free kick in it. Unless he has the eyes of a hawk and was able to pick up something no one else (and the cameras) picked up, that is overzealous umpiring, for mine.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What if he pays an unwarranted free kick?
Weller contested the footy and protected his head. His opponent did one but not the other. Should not have been a free kick.

Of course its a free but if you dont think it is thats your right. An umpire shouldnt be dropped for making a wrong decision, which I believe is right, anyway. Who do you want to umpire. Guys from C grade ammos?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, do you think the umpire made the correct decision to report him? As the redheaded little fascist used to say - PLEASE EXPLAIN?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Plugger, do you think the umpire made the correct decision to report him? As the redheaded little fascist used to say - PLEASE EXPLAIN?

No I dont think he did because he probably could have waited to the video review but that doesnt mean he should be dropped. if thats the case there is 4 dropped this week even before they drop every umpire for making other mistakes. A whole new panel next week. They should be good umpires if we are currently using the best.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Plugger, do you think the umpire made the correct decision to report him? As the redheaded little fascist used to say - PLEASE EXPLAIN?

No I dont think he did because he probably could have waited to the video review but that doesnt mean he should be dropped. if thats the case there is 4 dropped this week even before they drop every umpire for making other mistakes. A whole new panel next week. They should be good umpires if we are currently using the best.
Just wasn't sure what your opinion was on whether he should have been reported or not. Yep, I understand that dropping him wouldn't be the best decision. Thanks.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Of course its a free but if you dont think it is thats your right. An umpire shouldnt be dropped for making a wrong decision, which I believe is right, anyway. Who do you want to umpire. Guys from C grade ammos?
I am assuming that you've not seen the video from the OP?
If you have then there is no way you can come to the conclusion that it was a free kick.
Weller had the ball and Blicav's head makes contact with Weller's back.
Over zealous umpiring to say the least.
Totally unwarranted free kick and a frivolous report to boot.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Of course its a free but if you dont think it is thats your right. An umpire shouldnt be dropped for making a wrong decision, which I believe is right, anyway. Who do you want to umpire. Guys from C grade ammos?
If you have then there is no way you can come to the conclusion that it was a free kick.

I watched the game and saw the report on replay. As I said you have your opinion and that is fine and I have mine.

Viking3
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

I watched the game and saw the report on replay. As I said you have your opinion and that is fine and I have mine.
Both are wrong. It should have been a jump ball.
Weller may have been giving away some height but Blicavs was groggy. 50/50.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

In Geelong's 96-point demolition of St Kilda, Mav Weller and Dawson Simpson had their names taken for high contact but MRP assessments fell short of bans or even reprimands.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z34mTw8CNg

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I watched the game and saw the report on replay. As I said you have your opinion and that is fine and I have mine.
So, the obvious question is "would it have been a free kick if Weller went head first and a head clash resulted"?
Clearly the answer to that is a resounding "No".
So, why then, does that change when a player protects himself by turning his body? If Weller failed to make the ball his objective and bumped the Geelong player then fair enough. But he didn't do that.
Weller, like Hannebery before him, attacked the ball exactly like he should. He executed near perfect technique by picking up the ball and bracing for the inevitable impact. If the Geelong player attacked the ball the same way there would have been no head high contact.
So who caused the head high contact. Not Weller!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I watched the game and saw the report on replay. As I said you have your opinion and that is fine and I have mine.
So, the obvious question is "would it have been a free kick if Weller went head first and a head clash resulted"?
So, why then, does that change when a player protects himself by turning his body? If Weller failed to make the ball his objective and bumped the Geelong player then fair enough. But he didn't do that.
Weller, like Hannebery before him, attacked the ball exactly like he should. He executed near perfect technique by picking up the ball and bracing for the inevitable impact. If the Geelong player attacked the ball the same way there would have been no head high contact.

Yep its just a bit of bad luck that his shoulder hit his head.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

You haven't watched it all if you think his shoulder hit his head. Contact was right on the number on his back. Even Mooney and Hudson were astounded at the decision.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:

You haven't watched it all if you think his shoulder hit his head. Contact was right on the number on his back. Even Mooney and Hudson were astounded at the decision.

The report but not the free. Just watched it again. looked like just clipped the head to me. You arent changing your miond and I aint changing mine. I will let you have the last say because who really gives a frig even if it was the wrong decision.