Jamie Cripps

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jamie Cripps

Trevor Barker was the best player in sides... That were terrible... That's actually difficult and very different. He also played for Vic and would have been an automatic in 11 other teams - agreed.

Jamie Cripps is a bottom 4 player in a bottom four team, and largely gets a game because of fwds injured. He would not get a game at many other clubs... Except probably stk ATM because

It's pretty simple... Your argument is a bit silly. You use of Barker hilarious. Perhaps use a fringe 81-87 Saint as your example. Or a player just getting a game now?

Let's be honest, the only reason you staunchly defend him, is because I announced on the forum that I saw him Pull Out of a contest on two separate occasions... Right in front of me. He is (in relative terms) a forward running soft footballer.

You have your opinion, you think he is a player....

I think he is just a player?

Do you fully understand the 2010 draft process?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Trevor Barker was the best player in sides... That were terrible... That's actually difficult and very different. He also played for Vic and would have been an automatic in 11 other teams - agreed.

Jamie Cripps is a bottom 4 player in a bottom four team, and largely gets a game because of fwds injured. He would not get a game at many other clubs... Except probably stk ATM because

It's pretty simple... Your argument is a bit silly. You use of Barker hilarious. Perhaps use a fringe 81-87 Saint as your example. Or a player just getting a game now?

Let's be honest, the only reason you staunchly defend him, is because I announced on the forum that I saw him Pull Out of a contest on two separate occasions... Right in front of me. He is (in relative terms) a forward running soft footballer.

You have your opinion, you think he is a player....

I think he is just a player?

Do you fully understand the 2010 draft process?

What Trevor Barker was has nothing to do with your statement. You said he hasnt played in finls. I didnt see a rider on it until challenged. And if Cripps is a bottom 4 player at WCE, who by the way are no where near a bottom 4 side, you would think he would have been dropped once or twice at least this year.

No I dont think he is a player. I think he is a GOP. What I cant stand is heroes who have never played a single AFL game so a player dogged it. And yes I fully understand the 2010 draft process. Can you explain what I said that was wrong. I again notice no mention of 3 coaches playing him. If you are one thing its consistent.

wally
Club Player

IMO its just disappointing that during a time when a few other drafting choices didn't work out,to also lose young players that we put some time into leave
and then get games elsewhere.
The real question is would they be a cut above & playing regularly or would they be in battle on the fringe with Savage,TDL,Dunnell,etc.
The same goes for Lynch at the crows,would he work out as well with us?
It is a merry go round and hopefully the ones we pickup are better than the ones we lose.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well you'd hope Lynch and Cripps would work out?

They were our first selections in the years they were selected?

I reckon for Lynch, Cripps and Walsh.... We may have got Players like Murdoch, Saunders, Webster, Markworth Newnes... Not sure which ones exactly but we got picks 35-45 for those guys

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seriously man, work it out?

He has got played by three coaches... Because the sides were shyte, and there was no one better.

And seriously, I can say he 'dogged it' to use your term.... Because I saw it, twice.... I also saw some of the toughest football I've ever seen yesterday, in the teaming rain.... With not a player on the ground having played an AFL game?

Adam Cockie is tough.... Hayes and Armitage aside the toughest player out of all Stk/Sany players.

Question
Are AFL players tougher or more skilled than say EFL players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Seriously man, work it out?

He has got played by three coaches... Because the sides were shyte, and there was no one better.

And seriously, I can say he 'dogged it' to use your term.... Because I saw it, twice.... I also saw some of the toughest football I've ever seen yesterday, in the teaming rain.... With not a player on the ground having played an AFL game?

Adam Cockie is tough.... Hayes and Armitage aside the toughest player out of all Stk/Sany players.

Question
Are AFL players tougher or more skilled than say EFL players.

I will answer that with a yes I would hope so. No idea what that answer leads to though. i said dogged it because you did previously. Terrible term from a person who i gather was no where near AFL standard. Cockie is tough to but he isnt an AFL player because he lacks what AFL recruiters want. Cripps is no hayes in toughness but Cripps also kicks more goals than Hayes. Most AFL players have different skills, strengths and weaknesses. Im sure you understand that. I didnt know that winning 12 games was Shyte. What would you call our current side then? Doesnt say a lot for our players who cant play every game at the moment.

wally
Club Player

That is what I am actually asking, of people that are better judges than me and watch more closely than me.
Would Cripps & Lynch be better in our lineup than some of the others currently borderline players,that cant cement a spot?

saint6709
Club Player

I have about as much interst I Cripps as I have for say someone like Robert Eddy - played some games for us doesn't anymore - would be on my 'de list at seasons end' list if was still at the club

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:That is what I am actually asking, of people that are better judges than me and watch more closely than me.
Would Cripps & Lynch be better in our lineup than some of the others currently borderline players,that cant cement a spot?

Yes they would but I dont either would make a huge difference because we are just a poor side. Maybe in the future they would be very handy when we finally start improving. They wouldnt hurt put it that way but it matters little as both are gone and we got players for them. lets hope those players are better than both Lynch and Cripps.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think Lynch would pbly be comfortably in our best 22 at the moment

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
I know you again wont answer but why has 3 out of the 4 coaches played him nearly every game they can. Funnily the only one that didnt was SW. Where is he now compared to Cripps. Stupid thread but suits cerain people.
plugger66 wrote:No I dont think he is a player. I think he is a GOP.
Why would a GOP have played nearly every game under 3 different coaches. I feel like you're being a little inconsistent in what you're saying

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I know you again wont answer but why has 3 out of the 4 coaches played him nearly every game they can. Funnily the only one that didnt was SW. Where is he now compared to Cripps. Stupid thread but suits cerain people.
Why would a GOP have played nearly every game under 3 different coaches. I feel like you're being a little inconsistent in what you're saying

Blake was GOP and played 200 games. Ray is a GOP and plays all the time. There is probably 6 GOPS at least in every GF side. It seems we have different opinions of what a GOP is.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Dunno about that... But he's no loss.

Since going to WC he's averaged about 10ppg last week 3 touches against Haw.

Best thing about Cripps? He got us Newnes!
While I dont like your constant carping on Cripps, your last sentence is spot on.

Different players but Newnes is going to be a very good footballer

You are garbage - Enough said
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Blake played over 200 games under Watson, Blight, Thomas, Lyon, and Watters, and would probably have got a game under Richo as well.

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
BigMart wrote:Dunno about that... But he's no loss.

Since going to WC he's averaged about 10ppg last week 3 touches against Haw.

Best thing about Cripps? He got us Newnes!
While I dont like your constant carping on Cripps, your last sentence is spot on.

Different players but Newnes is going to be a very good footballer

100% agree. Same with the players we got for Lynch and Ben.

Freebird
Club Player

I did not think you would understand plugger..your type generally do

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:I did not think you would understand plugger..your type generally do

That doesnt make any sense but it is consistent. Can you see how it doesnt make sense?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake finished top ten in the b&f 3 times... Was a critical player

At times in his career he was a bit part GOP
For 6 years he was very important
Labelling him a GOP shows a lack of knowledge.

But not understanding football is pretty clear from commentary

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Blake finished top ten in the b&f 3 times... Was a critical player

At times in his career he was a bit part GOP
For 6 years he was very important
Labelling him a GOP shows a lack of knowledge.

But not understanding football is pretty clear from commentary

Funny man. In a sad way.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Blake was GOP and played 200 games. Ray is a GOP and plays all the time. There is probably 6 GOPS at least in every GF side. It seems we have different opinions of what a GOP is.
Hmmm...

The thing is though that your initial comment was in response to BM who said that Cripps was a 10 possession per game forward and was average.

A response like yours, to the effect of, well why have 3 coaches played him nearly every game possible and the one who didn't was sacked (so what does that show [implying it was a bad call from SW]) very strongly implies that you think he is better than that. Hence the inconsistency of your second comment that he is just a GOP.

I would say that this is further supported by your comment that Jason Blake and Farren Ray are GOPs too. If that's the case, then you must rate Cripps to a similar standard or hold him in the same regard. I personally find that really surprising as I would say those 2 players at various times played a very high standard of football over a reasonable period of time... Ray at one point was considered by some on here as a potential Captain after his first season... not bad for a GOP

I think that the actual confusion has come from the fact that your opinion on this matter is actually fairly similar to BM's (he is an AFL standard player but not that good) but at the same time, you're also trying to ridicule him despite making the same argument. Hence you're mixing your argument by implying that he is really good and then saying that he is a GOP

I was interested in this thread because like both you and BM I thought Cripps was just alright and couldn't figure out why the OP was brought up now. Don't understand why you're interested. My question to you plugger is, and please be honest, as you don't seem to have a strong opinion/keen interest in the topic, if BM had not been the one that posted what he had, would you have posted in this thread at all?

My feeling is the answer is no.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hmmm...

The thing is though that your initial comment was in response to BM who said that Cripps was a 10 possession per game forward and was average.

A response like yours, to the effect of, well why have 3 coaches played him nearly every game possible and the one who didn't was sacked (so what does that show [implying it was a bad call from SW]) very strongly implies that you think he is better than that. Hence the inconsistency of your second comment that he is just a GOP.

I would say that this is further supported by your comment that Jason Blake and Farren Ray are GOPs too. If that's the case, then you must rate Cripps to a similar standard or hold him in the same regard. I personally find that really surprising as I would say those 2 players at various times played a very high standard of football over a reasonable period of time... Ray at one point was considered by some on here as a potential Captain after his first season... not bad for a GOP

I think that the actual confusion has come from the fact that your opinion on this matter is actually fairly similar to BM's (he is an AFL standard player but not that good) but at the same time, you're also trying to ridicule him despite making the same argument. Hence you're mixing your argument by implying that he is really good and then saying that he is a GOP

I was interested in this thread because like both you and BM I thought Cripps was just alright and couldn't figure out why the OP was brought up now. Don't understand why you're interested. My question to you plugger is, and please be honest, as you don't seem to have a strong opinion/keen interest in the topic, if BM had not been the one that posted what he had, would you have posted in this thread at all?

My feeling is the answer is no.

Dont agree with anything you wrote and i would have commented if the same things were said by anyone. I wont bother with you this anymore because for the reasons you think I commented because it was BM i think you commenting because its me and your fascination with BM. As I said I obviously GOPS different to you. A GOp is a term for a player that can have a consistent AFL career without ever being a star IMO. You rate the term obviously different.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

so just out of curiousity...

can you rank Cripps, Blake and Ray as GOPs?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:so just out of curiousity...

can you rank Cripps, Blake and Ray as GOPs?

I dont get the question but the order is Blake, Ray and then Cripps.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I know I could rank them in order

1/Blake... Reliable Tall Defender
2/Ray ... 20ppg mid

3/ Cripps ... Opportunist front running fwd pocket

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I know I could rank them in order

1/Blake... Reliable Tall Defender
2/Ray ... 20ppg mid

3/ Cripps ... Opportunist front running fwd pocket

Exactly as i would rate them and probably 99% of football watchers.