1st round picks this draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintberra
Club Player

Re: 1st round picks this draft

What do people think of potentially drafting Harrison Wig with our pick that sits somewhere between 18-30. He's a fantastic kick, comparable to suckling, and can take a mark?

This is what I thought the thread was about, so will try to take it down this route, instead of the headbashing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:Hard to see us letting go of the no 1 or 2 pick, but we've seen Melbourne use pick # 2 wisely with the Tyson / pick#9 trade.

Just putting it out there as an idea. Say Patton really wanted to come home and there are some question marks on his durability, would GWS take another #1 or # 2 pick to draft another key forward and give us Patton and their 1st round round compensation pick which would likely be pick 19 or 20.
GWS are only going to use 3 picks I'd imagine? That would give them say pick 1, pick 2 and their 2nd round pick, #22? SO no real difference for them anyway by losing that compensation draft pick.

I haven't seen enough of Patton to comment? IS he good enough or does he have enough upside for us to risk that trade?

I certainly wouldnt even get near giving the number 1 or 2 pick for Patton even with 20 or so in return. he may have been a number one pick but as yet hasnt done enough to stay number IMO. The other thing I keep saying is GWS just cant continuing to get picks for players. They need players. Getting rid of 3rd year players for unproven players wont help them up the ladder real soon. Im happy to trade pick one or two but I just dont reckon that trade can get done.

It freaks me out when we agree. Mostly. But I think you are missing the fact that they have to turn over players and apart from a few ring ins most are 3rd year players or younger. They have to lose some so might as well trade some before they are forced to delist them. Players that aren't getting played are going to be pushing for trades and Jaksche and co must be looking at another draft full of KP talent and looking further afield. O Rourke can't get a game and they are about to bring in another wave of good kids.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:The only way I can see to get two first-rounders - if that is what we want - is an NBA-style trade. Pick 1 for picks 11 and 16, or something like that. .
From memory GC get the Geelong Comp pick which is the pick after Geelong's and so the Suns will have two first round picks.

So if Geelong finishes the year as per their recent form......it could be say picks 11 and 13.

As the Suns already have so much talent they may well prefer one very good pick over two good picks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
PurpleHayes
Club Player

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
PurpleHayes wrote:Hard to see us letting go of the no 1 or 2 pick, but we've seen Melbourne use pick # 2 wisely with the Tyson / pick#9 trade.

Just putting it out there as an idea. Say Patton really wanted to come home and there are some question marks on his durability, would GWS take another #1 or # 2 pick to draft another key forward and give us Patton and their 1st round round compensation pick which would likely be pick 19 or 20.
GWS are only going to use 3 picks I'd imagine? That would give them say pick 1, pick 2 and their 2nd round pick, #22? SO no real difference for them anyway by losing that compensation draft pick.

I haven't seen enough of Patton to comment? IS he good enough or does he have enough upside for us to risk that trade?

I certainly wouldnt even get near giving the number 1 or 2 pick for Patton even with 20 or so in return. he may have been a number one pick but as yet hasnt done enough to stay number IMO. The other thing I keep saying is GWS just cant continuing to get picks for players. They need players. Getting rid of 3rd year players for unproven players wont help them up the ladder real soon. Im happy to trade pick one or two but I just dont reckon that trade can get done.

It freaks me out when we agree. Mostly. But I think you are missing the fact that they have to turn over players and apart from a few ring ins most are 3rd year players or younger. They have to lose some so might as well trade some before they are forced to delist them. Players that aren't getting played are going to be pushing for trades and Jaksche and co must be looking at another draft full of KP talent and looking further afield. O Rourke can't get a game and they are about to bring in another wave of good kids.
A lot of people have previously raved about us picking up O'Rourke just because he was a high draft pick (in a seriously compromised draft) - look at his NEAFL games - he's struggling to get into the best in GWS's reserves team!

I just think we should tread carefully with GWS and the players they ARE willing to trade away.. (Perhaps Dom Tyson excluded, but draft pick 2 was a big factor there to getting the deal done)

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

A more sensible trade would be something like this. Stanley to Adelaide. They give us pick 9 and we give them pick 21. So, we give up Stanley for a pick upgrade from 21 to 9. But then again, do we win out of that? It all depends on your opinion of Stanley's worth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Im not saying they wont trade but i am saying if they keep getting high picks for the players that picked at high picks they aint going to improve to quickly. They have won 5 games in 2 and half seasons so they need to improve. Pick one or two for patton will again just probably get another tall who again meed developing but a player for Patton will have improve them much quicker and my guess is that is how GWS are thinking. Like most others that are playing at GWS I think he will sign. They will lose the ones that arent playing and if we can get them for a second or third rounder then we should. Again though I think they would rather a player. The question is do we have tradable players that are of an age and around second or third rounders. I can think of two one one has been injured for 2 years, Armo and Gilbert. We dont have anyone else.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:A more sensible trade would be something like this. Stanley to Adelaide. They give us pick 9 and we give them pick 21. So, we give up Stanley for a pick upgrade from 21 to 9. But then again, do we win out of that? It all depends on your opinion of Stanley's worth.

We win by that much it has no hope of happening. Stanley is at best a late third round pick so im unsure why Adelaide would go anywhere near that. He is playing seonds at Sandy in his firth season and apparently wasnt great last week. Cant even impose himself at sandy. I think he will be kept because he maybe more value to us than what we can get.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:A more sensible trade would be something like this. Stanley to Adelaide. They give us pick 9 and we give them pick 21. So, we give up Stanley for a pick upgrade from 21 to 9. But then again, do we win out of that? It all depends on your opinion of Stanley's worth.

We win by that much it has no hope of happening. Stanley is at best a late third round pick so im unsure why Adelaide would go anywhere near that. He is playing seonds at Sandy in his firth season and apparently wasnt great last week. Cant even impose himself at sandy. I think he will be kept because he maybe more value to us than what we can get.
No chance Stanley upgrades a pick from 21-9. Our best chance of an upgrade would be getting Port's current first round pick 18 for Stanley and our current second round pick 22. But is that going to get us a better player with a pick four selections earlier? Probably not.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stanley's value is probably higher to us unless we could get a high second round pick. Otherwise we just keep playing him and hope he come on eventually. Tall athletic guys who can pinch hit ruck are highly valued and he still has potential and has offered glimmers of hope. He would probably look a lot better as a David Hale type who is going to stretch anyone's third defender. Too tall to play on a mid sized back and if you leave Roughead and Gunston free they will kill you.

Stanley doesn't need to be a superstar just a solid B grade tall to help the team. We probably need to work on getting a structure of 6 or so guns, 6 very high level footballers, 6 good a to b graders and 6 developing kids who are likely to get better but are currently giving a solid contribution. That way you go pretty good against anyone and keep an eye on the future.

We never kept that last group up under Lyon and now have holes all over the place.