Observations this week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Observations this week

Johnny Member wrote:I reckon, right now, we're the worst football side I've ever seen.

And it's clearly for 2 reasons....

Our list is awful. It's unbalanced in terms of age and experience. It's unbalanced in terms of size and pace (meaning small guys are forced to play tall, and slow guys are forced to play fast), and it lacks talent.

Some of the guys that we look at through rosé-coloured glasses as being 'talented youngsters' are actually pretty ordinary and will never be good enough to get a spot on a decent side.

The older guys such as Jones, Ray and even Dempster would usually have been forced out by younger guys. But such is the lack of talent and the age balance of the list, these guys really need to play to avoid complete and utter destruction on the scoreboard.

Dempster probably shouldn't be on my list above, as with some support he'd actually be able to play the type of role he's suited too and would probably still do it really well.

The other reason is the coaching.

Sounds like a negative? Well it's not meant to be, because I think the coaching is spot on for the long term. But in the short term, it's making us absolutely deplorable.
We can't win clearances. We can't win contests (and I'm not talking about the dodgy 'contested possession' stats). We can't kick. We make poor decisions. We can't defend unless we have 18 guys in the D50.

But we keep sticking to the structures and the 'full press' and 'sling shot' style of play. With a few years more practice and some decent players to carry it out, I think we'll be good. So full credit to the coach for looking long-term, but clearly in the short term we just aren't up to playing the way we're trying to.

Having said that, with Gwilt, Fisher, Gilbert, Hickey, Armitage, Templeton, Wright, Geary and Webster either in the team or putting pressure on, we'd be significantly better than we are now.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when Hickey and Armitage went down, we went on to get walloped for 5 weeks in a row.

I dont think this side is anywhere near as bad as the sides in the 80's. Obviously cant remember injuries back then but we a have a few now. You cant win 3 out of 5 with at leasty having some ability. Since then we have lost many of the more experienced players through injury. They probably would have only given us one more win at the max but the difference would be that we wouldnt be getting smashed like we are now. How we hung with the Pies and Port in the last 2 weeks is a credit to the players and the coached. Yep we got blown away late in both games but seriously the side we had on the park inst very good. But if want to see bad then I think in either 85 or 86 we lost our first 3 games by over a 100 points. We are no where near that level and thats in the days of boggy grounds. Not near that level but lets not kid ourselves this is going to be a very long rebuild because as strange as it may seem we probably havent hit bottom yet for one maybe two years.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Observations this week

plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Not sure how much cred your observations can be given Tugga. You also observed that 3 of our first 4 goals came from free kicks.Clearly we watched 2 different games. :?

Please dont lie. You dont have to like or even read what I wrote but dont lie. I said 2 and it was clearly one. I then said I was wrong by one goal. Yep no one has to read my rubbish but no one needs to lie either. Why would I even care who reads it. I dont make money on it.
P66 states - "This will be popular. If a 50 is a free we have 3 goals out of 4 from frees and they have one out of 7. The holding the ball looked wrong to me."

Above is your post from the match day thread clearly stating we had 3 of our first 4 goals from either frees or 50's. Our first and only 4 goals for the first half, as I recall, were as follows.

Roo took a mark, gets 50 and kicks a goal
Roo took a mark and kicked a goal
Saunders took a mark and kicked a goal
Milera kicks goal in general play

0 free kicks, One 50m penalty

You have called me a liar 4 times in the above post.

And sorry Mullet for taking a Plugger thread off topik. Irony at it's finest.

I have to say sorry. At the time I meant 2 and thought I typed 2. Should read what I write. As you maybe able to tell after my posts suggested I meant 2 when I said I was 50% wrong and it was actually one. Again I am sorry and I hope this doesnt effect a wonderful relationship and if I get a warning for not reading what I wrote and calling you a liar so be it but i can assure you it was a genuine mistake. Sorry to you and yes Kosi you are right.
:P
Nothing a nice dinner and a cuddle can't fix. :wink: