Rhys Stanley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys Stanley

3rd generation saint wrote:Strange as it may sound, but I reckon Stanley's reversal of form happened when Hickey got hurt.
Also wonder just how much that flogging by Hawthorn unsettled the side, up until then we were reasonable competitive.
Round 4 v Adelaide ring a bell?

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I hate to bag players, and am prepared to give anyone a fair go if they're putting in the effort, but it's hard to put up a case for Rhys remaining in the side at the minute.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Early on we were looking great. The game was there, so at least then, the 'dropping of the head' as we get thrashed thing didn't apply. We were up an about.

Rhys jogged towards a mark in the middle of the ground. Then a Skunk defender appeared from left of screen (their half back line) going full bore and took the mark... uncontested.

Two things...
Rhys was bigger than their bloke.
Rhys could have sprinted and gotten their first, and in enough time to actually have taken the mark uncontested himself.

Like a few in this thread, I've long supported Rhys.

Like a few in this thread I have finally had enough.

Put him into first ruck, tell him to get fired up, take the angry pills, whatever... Rhys you have the rest of the year to start imposing yourself on the game.

If not... time to do a deal with one of the Adelaide based clubs if they are still interested...

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I'm not fond of bagging anyone in our jumper. If there are better options they'd take his spot pretty quickly right now. ATM he's obviously doing what he's asked by the coaches or there are fewer options than our "fans" imagine.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Last night also brought into focus for me the compare and contrast thing between Rhys and Jesse White.

Rhys is fast in a straight line, but not necessarily off the mark, and has yet to show me that he's agile.

White is strong, fast and pretty agile. At times last night he was storming through the mid-field pretty much giving them an extra on-baller. He also plays very well as a key forward, and I reckon he could probably pinch hit (at worst) in key defence.

I was really hoping we could grab this bloke last draft period. (Can win 'em all though I realise.) From memory he didn't cost the Skunks much. :( He turned 26 in January, so is three years older than Rhys, and has those stupid 'sleeve' tattoos... but other than that...

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he was that bad last night... But nonetheless, just don't think he is good enough for a while now.

Just doesn't read the play well enough.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I actually think we must persist with Stanley in the same way we persisted with Jason Blake.

Blake was absolute gumby for 50 per cent of his career, until he matured into a half-decent defender. And now he's remembered as a loyal servant, etc.

Stanley will get there but only when he feels completely comfortable about taking on the contest. It's like anything...you need to learn how to do it. He just hasn't learned yet.

However, when the games wash through his system - I'm talking 100+ - we'll have a really effective 200cm player on our list. They don't grow on trees. We're not in contention right now for a flag and can afford to be extremely patient with him.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I actually think we must persist with Stanley in the same way we persisted with Jason Blake.

Blake was absolute gumby for 50 per cent of his career, until he matured into a half-decent defender. And now he's remembered as a loyal servant, etc.

Stanley will get there but only when he feels completely comfortable about taking on the contest. It's like anything...you need to learn how to do it. He just hasn't learned yet.

However, when the games wash through his system - I'm talking 100+ - we'll have a really effective 200cm player on our list. They don't grow on trees. We're not in contention right now for a flag and can afford to be extremely patient with him.
This post makes perfect sense, and is how I felt till that piece of play I mentioned a few posts prior.

That wasn't just about 'feeling comfortable in the contest'... Rhys was a/ bigger than the other bloke, b/ could have got there first and taken an uncontested mark himself.

That was my penny dropping moment re Rhys... but because of all the things you've pointed out e-fc, that's why I'd put Rhys onto the 'front line' so to speak by making him ruck more for the rest of the season. Rhys needs to start imposing himself... even if he makes mistakes, no wuz, coz that'll sort out... but Rhys just won't seem to try and impose himself...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Blake.. Really, a gumby?

Used as a part time Ruck in 2006, Run with in 2001 and a key back 2007 -2013.

He was never more than serviceable, but courage and effort he did NOT lack

markp
Saintsational Legend

Blake never gave less than 100% and was a remarkable and inspiring character.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I actually think we must persist with Stanley in the same way we persisted with Jason Blake.

I agree with this, if he can come good the up side will be huge...

jamesmc
Club Player

The only positive comment we ever hear about Rhys is that he won the GF sprint 5 years ago.

Has anyone checked the quality of his opposition that day, as i remember one of his opponents was Martin Pike for God's sake.

It's time for him to give us something else to hang his hat on.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Blake never gave less than 100% and was a remarkable and inspiring character.
100% correct. JB was a workhorse. Rhys is a flake. A total pleb. Can't wait to see the back of him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
#gosaintas
Club Player

You guys bagging Rhys have no idea. He is getting better and is going to be a star. We just have to keep playing him and letting him build his tank and confidence until he starts to tear games apart. FFS, we have persisted with hacks like Gwilt, yet you guys want to cut Rhys.
Luckily the coaches pick the side and not some of you.

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:You guys bagging Rhys have no idea. He is getting better and is going to be a star. We just have to keep playing him and letting him build his tank and confidence until he starts to tear games apart. FFS, we have persisted with hacks like Gwilt, yet you guys want to cut Rhys.
Luckily the coaches pick the side and not some of you.
Don't understand that logic. As the coaches also picked that so called hack Gwilt on quite a few occasions.

#gosaintas
Club Player

It's pretty clear from your posting history that logic is something you have consistently battled with. Rhys will be a star. Give him time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To suggest Stanley is going to be a 'star' and 'tear it apart' truly is comical of epic proportions.
hes also almost the opposite of Blake. Sure Blake made some mistakes.Plenty. but as posters are sayong I never ever once saw him not give 100% effort in to whatever contest he was in or when it was his time to go.

I still see Rhys is the same light as Shaun Hampson.
occasionally does something good but generally a fringe cobtributor.

Now somehoe Calrlton managed to get pick 28 for Hampson. Id be rapt if we did the same.....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

To suggest Stanley is going to be a 'star' and 'tear it apart' truly is comical of epic proportions.
hes also almost the opposite of Blake. Sure Blake made some mistakes.Plenty. but as posters are saying I never ever once saw him not give 100% effort in to whatever contest he was in or when it was his time to go.

I still see Rhys is the same light as Shaun Hampson.
Occasionally does something good but generally a fringe contributor.

Now somehow Calrlton managed to get pick 28 for Hampson. Id be rapt if we did the same.....
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 31 May 2014 7:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:It's pretty clear from your posting history that logic is something you have consistently battled with. Rhys will be a star. Give him time.
Give him time to do what exactly?
Where do you best see him?
Did you see last nights game?

#gosaintas
Club Player

He is a forward/ruckman. That is his position and he will make it. Isolating one game is stupid. You seem to revel in his struggles. Get behind the team or get stuffed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hes played 40 games and probably 8 good ones.
So 1 in 5.

There is the old adage that you dont really get the hang of afl footy until you have played 50 games but I suspect that applies to blokes who are actually really serious about the game and getting better.

Hampson has played 71 games but hes not improving. Just a permanent bit player.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 31 May 2014 7:55pm, edited 3 times in total.

jamesmc
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:He is a forward/ruckman. That is his position and he will make it. Isolating one game is stupid. You seem to revel in his struggles. Get behind the team or get stuffed.
I'm behind the team, just not behind Rhys.
Even his name is wrong. No vowels in a name is wrong.

#gosaintas
Club Player

It's just so disappointing that a young player who will be a star for us is being bagged by a few internet warriors. Hopefully in a few years you will choke on the bile that you are spewing his way. Sad, Jamesmc, sad.

#gosaintas
Club Player

The other sad sack is BigMart. Labelling him what BM did is just a disgrace.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:It's just so disappointing that a young player who will be a star for us is being bagged by a few internet warriors. Hopefully in a few years you will choke on the bile that you are spewing his way. Sad, Jamesmc, sad.
'Hopefully' you are right.
Only the true faithful believers are still dreaming the big dream when it comes to Rhys.

Having said all that I still have him in our current best 22.
Buts that cos our current best 22 aint all that flash.
I don't have him as best 22 at a top 6 team.