Honeymoon over, AR.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Honeymoon over, AR.

sasaint wrote:
gringo wrote:If we play the kids we will end up like Melbourne with shell shocked confidence sapped losers. You need to protect them not slaughter them.
+1
The same Melbourne currently beating the Crows?

We just lost by 140 points. We are already no better than Melbourne.
We beat them but they had the worst fwd line of all time playing which flattered our defence (they also had an unfortunate situation with Mitch Clark).

With Dawes and Hogan theyd beat us - and thats saying something cos Dawes is not that good and Hogan has barely played.

Melbourne will play finals before us.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
sasaint wrote:
gringo wrote:If we play the kids we will end up like Melbourne with shell shocked confidence sapped losers. You need to protect them not slaughter them.
+1
The same Melbourne currently beating the Crows?

We just lost by 140 points. We are already no better than Melbourne.
We beat them but they had the worst fwd line of all time playing which flattered our defence (they also had an unfortunate situation with Mitch Clark).

With Dawes and Hogan theyd beat us - and thats saying something cos Dawes is not that good and Hogan has barely played.

Melbourne will play finals before us.
145 points Con :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't get the shock, hawks are the reigning premiers, were embarrassed about the cats, their home ground, ....was always going to be ugly.

Sure, nobody likes a smashing, but with such a chunk of players missing in the middle age group, this is why we were predicted for the wooden spoon.

Perspective

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely there is no way to justify a 145 pt loss. The coach won't admit it but there were quite a few boys who weren't too well today. Jack shouldn't have played, as well as others. You might find Sandy a bit ordinary tomorrow as well.
But you still should never lose like that. The coach is one very disappointed man.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
White Winmar wrote:The honeymoon is well and truly over. Three disgraceful performances in the space of four weeks. Today has the potential to derail our entire season. At the very least, it will have smashed the confidence of our younger players. The next fortnight will be the true test of AR. I'd be surprised if we can bounce back from this. It was one of the most insipid performances in the history of our club, and that's saying something.

At least we should be able to purge ourselves of Jones and Ray. Unfortunately Geary and Gwilt are hurt and you don't wish ill on anyone, but when they miss the next few games we'll realise we're better off without them. Write the season off. Play the kids. Let the list cloggers play in the VFL.
What did you expect Winmar?? You obviously must have been looking through Rose Coloured Glasses if you thought that 2014 was going to a successful season for us. We are re-building from the bottom up. It is going to take years before we even play finals again let alone Grand Finals. Please refer to my signature for further information.
White Winmar is right on the money. It was an atrocious performance today. Granted, it was up against the best team in the comp, but the team went out there without any heart or soul. No dignity shown whatsoever. Disgraceful effort shown.

Very difficult to regroup after this and a real danger it could continue throughout the rest of the season. We need spirited performances to help build a team, not this spineless, lackluster crap.

Anyway, it's probably about time you were more concerned about your own footy team.
SainterK wrote:was always going to be ugly.
Yeah, but not that ugly!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Absolutely there is no way to justify a 145 pt loss. The coach won't admit it but there were quite a few boys who weren't too well today. Jack shouldn't have played, as well as others. You might find Sandy a bit ordinary tomorrow as well.
But you still should never lose like that. The coach is one very disappointed man.
A bug?

Reminds me of a loss to pies under Ross, we got smacked, and we found out gastro went through the club.

No excuses, but in reality, when the team is weeing out the wrong end.

lefty
Club Player

Today was disgraceful.

And before you all tell me to flog off, I have bought 3x memberships and support the club, but I'm not going to accept mediocre performances, I don't care if you're 34 or 18 years old, its 22 vs 22, and loosing by over 100+ points where the current game style is to flood and the way we went about it is totally unacceptable.

Failing the utter basics, lowering your colours, and then somewhat supporters basically saying "its ok, we're rebuilding, it'll take 4 years till we come good, what did you expect" is utter crap.

If supporters are happy to accept performance like today on excuses above, then fml

I question whether AR has a bit of "grunt" about him. Some players need to be blasted to respond. Don't go through the motions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The days of feeling smug that 'at least we arent Melbourne' are officially over.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

lefty wrote:Today was disgraceful.

And before you all tell me to flog off, I have bought 3x memberships and support the club, but I'm not going to accept mediocre performances, I don't care if you're 34 or 18 years old, its 22 vs 22, and loosing by over 100+ points where the current game style is to flood and the way we went about it is totally unacceptable.

Failing the utter basics, lowering your colours, and then somewhat supporters basically saying "its ok, we're rebuilding, it'll take 4 years till we come good, what did you expect" is utter crap.

If supporters are happy to accept performance like today on excuses above, then fml

I question whether AR has a bit of "grunt" about him. Some players need to be blasted to respond. Don't go through the motions.
He's got grunt. Ask anyone who may have witnessed his half time " talk" to Stanley in New Zealand last week.

twirlyhair
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:The honeymoon is well and truly over. Three disgraceful performances in the space of four weeks. Today has the potential to derail our entire season. At the very least, it will have smashed the confidence of our younger players. The next fortnight will be the true test of AR. I'd be surprised if we can bounce back from this. It was one of the most insipid performances in the history of our club, and that's saying something.

At least we should be able to purge ourselves of Jones and Ray. Unfortunately Geary and Gwilt are hurt and you don't wish ill on anyone, but when they miss the next few games we'll realise we're better off without them. Write the season off. Play the kids. Let the list cloggers play in the VFL.
Just noted the time you wrote this. Always worth waiting before you vent....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Mr. Desperate to be unpopular above all else?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

devastated today. just sat and watched in the ponsford stand. I expected the worst after the loss in NZ but not 145 points. Worst loss since 1980! stayed till the bitter end. Had an argument with a belligerent and arrogant older St kilda supporter too. Had one of my sons with me and we were with Hawthorn supporters so there was nothing I could do but suck it up. Hickey, Eli, Gilbert, Armo out for the forseeable future and no Fisher until he gets fit means that the next two weeks will be difficult. This is unforgivable and I have seen a lot of bad ones in my time. In my opinion we will need to have at keast three years at the bottom of the table, and trade vigorously to get ourselves out of this shocking mess we have with our list. We need the best key forward available, and a CHB to replace Fisher.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Read op expecting it to end in ' just kidding '. This sure is ' the sky is falling! ' stuff. Worst loss since 1980 but guess what, it's not 1980 anymore and when in rains it pours. How many players under 50 games against the reigning premiers.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Generally I agree.

But anyone who's suddenly off the Richo bandwagon after a young team has a couple of bad losses is pretty knee-jerk. Same with anyone who was magically on the Richo bandwagon after wins over Melbourne, GWS and a poor Essendon.

It's just way too soon to tell. At the end of the season we'll know a bit more about him, in two or three years we'll know a lot more. Premature judgement is just silly.

howlinwolf
Club Player

I am certain AR was under no illusions as to the task at hand when he took the job.
I'm also certain he didn't think this was too easy when we beat Essendope.
He is the right man for the job. It's just the job is huge and will take time.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Read op expecting it to end in ' just kidding '. This sure is ' the sky is falling! ' stuff. Worst loss since 1980 but guess what, it's not 1980 anymore and when in rains it pours. How many players under 50 games against the reigning premiers.
how many Hawthorn players out there had played less than 50 matches?
I remember seeing other sides pasted like this and know that we are rebuilding, but anybody who thinks that the team out there today tried are kidding themselves. It was a truly insipid performance and some senior players out there this afternoon need to consider whether or not they want to play on.

saint-stu
Club Player

tony74 wrote:Absolutely there is no way to justify a 145 pt loss. The coach won't admit it but there were quite a few boys who weren't too well today. Jack shouldn't have played, as well as others. You might find Sandy a bit ordinary tomorrow as well.
What about Schneiderman? I was scratching my head how he can go from the Essendon game to this one. Amazing drop.

1ac46a38
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

The above makes perfect sense to me.

How did they beat us? They ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and... you get the picture. Always had more at the contest, then... had loose blokes everywhere. :x

How do you beat them? Like the Hillbillies did... man on man pressure, all possessions have to be earnt... and watch many of their feted 'beautiful kicking' receivers... whilt. :twisted:

Since we pride ourselves on a contest at the ball, and a solidly structured team defence, I was expecting us to give them a real fright. We are young, fast and fit enough to do so. But it didn't happen...

So blokes being unwell makes a lot of sense to me.

Sure, excuse... no. But an explanation... yes.

We will beat Carlscum next week!!! They have blown their tanked-for high draft picks and are on the slide with only one Preliminary Final to show for it all. :lol: Despite today, we are on the right track, and our future is exciting.

Keep the faith Saintsationalists!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure he is but tomorrow is a new day. Reset and go again. What else can they do. I doubt they'll even do a review of this game, what would be the point. I'd actually play the whole side unchanged and see what type of responses you get from different players to a loss like that. It will be interesting to see what the energy at training is like this week Tony. If you get a chance can you give us a report.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

There was a Honeymoon ?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

As shattered and dissappointed as I am right now, I still believe we can beat the Blues in nine days.

saint-stu
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:I'm sure he is but tomorrow is a new day. Reset and go again. What else can they do. I doubt they'll even do a review of this game, what would be the point. I'd actually play the whole side unchanged and see what type of responses you get from different players to a loss like that. It will be interesting to see what the energy at training is like this week Tony. If you get a chance can you give us a report.
I hope not. It wouldn't be fair to guys who are doing a good job in the VFL each week. Marky, TDL, Milera, Dunny, Bull.

1ac46a38
Griggsy
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
Griggsy wrote:Read op expecting it to end in ' just kidding '. This sure is ' the sky is falling! ' stuff. Worst loss since 1980 but guess what, it's not 1980 anymore and when in rains it pours. How many players under 50 games against the reigning premiers.
how many Hawthorn players out there had played less than 50 matches?
I remember seeing other sides pasted like this and know that we are rebuilding, but anybody who thinks that the team out there today tried are kidding themselves. It was a truly insipid performance and some senior players out there this afternoon need to consider whether or not they want to play on.
Just saying it's not at all surprising. The vets are over 30, lost 3 other hardened vets since 2010. Always knew our middle agers are lacking in numbers and those we have aren't that skilful , admittingly that has been a problem for years. then it's the young guys.

As for big losses, Geelongs 2 biggest losses in 06 were 102 and 92. Not saying we are them but they were a team on the up and their future still turned out pretty nice. Doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The honeymoon is definitely over because we were thoroughly f**ked today. Richo's reputation (and evidence in all games before today) is of a great developer of young talent. But the huge question is over him tactically. Coaches who win premierships develop a very unique style that takes the competition quite a while to full unpack and defuse. Does Richo have a unique vision that he will roll out as he builds the list the way he wants? Only time will tell.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Let's demand more that should help...