Can Blake Acres possibly be as good as everyone thinks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Re: Can Blake Acres possibly be as good as everyone thinks?

By the way I noticed on Big Footy that they reckon Acres will do a Cripps and go home after a couple of years,I hope not!

PADDLEPOP1000
Junior
Club Player

Hartung is a talented kid has a bit of the Brent Harvey's about him.

Not privy to any psych assessment but he went to school with my daughter and it would be fair to say he is very confident in his own ability and would lick himself to death if he was an icy pole. But was not aware of any other issues with the kid.

But he can seriously play, I wanted to take him with our final pick until Acres was still there.

Would be surprised if both did not have good careers, but Acres has so much poise and time with the ball that I think he will be outstanding.

At the intra club Acres was not the best player but a couple of times he ran through a pack and no one could put a hand on him and he reads the play well and uses the ball well. Barring injury or attitude problems he will be a gun.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love The Blake!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:By the way I noticed on Big Footy that they reckon Acres will do a Cripps and go home after a couple of years,I hope not!
But who are "they" and what are they basing it on?

There were heaps of people urging the club not to recruit anyone from interstate because they may "do a Cripps". It's an easy thing to assume he'll want to go home but everyone is different. Do any of the "theys" know the kid personally?

I wouldn't be too concerned. We've got two years to really woo the young fella :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see to see the stats - but my gut feel (which is often wrong) tells me the go home factor is over-blown.
I know it happens. But there are many cases when it doesnt. People go all over the country to play footy (or work or go to university etc) and the clubs I think are a bit more clued up about player welfare these days. Add to the mix the cheaper cost of flights - and moving city/state isnt that big a deal for most people.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Just stating what I saw not stating that they know what they are talking about,!

PADDLEPOP1000
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I would love to know where both Aish and Billings would've sat in our order had both been from Victoria, with the go home factor not being a factor.

As for Blake, I doubt it is a factor, I guess he is young, and not as out there as other draftees tend to be - but I guess others are just trying to guess

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I would love to know where both Aish and Billings would've sat in our order had both been from Victoria, with the go home factor not being a factor.

As for Blake, I doubt it is a factor, I guess he is young, and not as out there as other draftees tend to be - but I guess others are just trying to guess
Many worry about the go home factor when it comes to interstate draftees.

Many get upset that we didn't draft Jack Darling.

Best not to get too worked up about these things I reckon.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Ick wrote:I would love to know where both Aish and Billings would've sat in our order had both been from Victoria, with the go home factor not being a factor.

Many worry about the go home factor when it comes to interstate draftees.

Yeah, so much getter to take Jamie Cripps than Darling. How's that worked out for us?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote: Many worry about the go home factor when it comes to interstate draftees.

Yeah, so much getter to take Jamie Cripps than Darling. How's that worked out for us?
Point missed, but do carry on.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

on the Cripps go home factor there were a few things that helped that along from what i hear Crippsy was missing home from day one , the news of his diabetes and the whole routine of managing that was tough for him without the support of his family... i think with Acres the fact he has come in at the same time as Dunstan and Eli who are all of his same age group all going through the same kind of ordeal of moving away from home and adjusting to Melbourne may help.. also when Cripps came in the club the club was still very much about the current crop of players , we still had BJ Dal with guys like Roo Fisher Dempster Joey ect who were the focal point and the focus so the guys like Sippa Ledger and Cripps were not the priority as such , where we are at now its all about the future and all about the young guys like Billings Dunstan Eli and Acres the older blokes are now all about passing one the mantle to the young guys where in Cripps time it was still about aiming for that last shot at the flag ... i believe if a kid is playing regularly and sees themselves as part of the future of the club, the go home factor is not an issue...

that said if a nice victorian girl could come in and make him forget all about perth that would be really helpful :)

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We very nearly drafted Jack Darling. The choice to go with Cripps proved to be a disaster. Simple enough explanation or you, Mr. Desperate to be popular above all else?

<poster PMd asking to play the post not the poster>

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:We very nearly drafted Jack Darling. The choice to go with Cripps proved to be a disaster. Simple enough explanation or you, Mr. Desperate to be popular above all else?
i think the point is Cripps being a WA boy Darling being a WA boy ... fair chance had we picked Darling he may have done a Cripps

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Megamaguire
Club Player

B l a k e A c r e s "d o e s n't f u m b l e".

Someone said up above (u know who u are) in regard to Blake "he doesn't fumble".
That in itself is an appealing attribute and no doubt appreciated by coaches. Personally I am not thinking beyond Blake registering his first game for the Saints and getting through it nicely. If it is against the sleek and slick premiers all the better as it will have an even better atmosphere for Blake to recall in years to come. Debut against the premiers at the 'G'.
Nice !

Very sorry to hear of the blow to Eli in his debut season. Hope to heck the rehab. goes well and Eli takes it in his stride.
Same sentiments for another of my favs Nb# 34 Nathan Wright. I've enjoyed what Nathan has brought to the Saints since his debut and am desperately hoping his cruel injury luck is over.

Anyway go Blakes ! :)

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

My very early call (before sensibly actually seeing the lad play) is Acres is going to be groomed as a sweeper and also used as an onballer ala Hodge and Goddard. And I'm looking forward to when he's awarded a 50 metre penalty and the umpire tries to measure out 0.1235 acres.

SaintK

My very early call (before sensibly actually seeing the lad play) is Acres is going to be groomed as a sweeper and also used as an onballer ala Hodge and Goddard. And I'm looking forward to when he's awarded a 50 metre penalty and the umpire tries to measure out 0.1235 acres.

I love that!!!

supersaints
Club Player

Looking at his VFL highlights reel up saints site he does move well. A lot of his kicks however do miss the target.
Seeing I have not seen him play, and judging on the comments here, plus the fact he has bounded into the team with just a couple of games, I am expecting to see a star in the making.

We really could have had our best draft ever!!!!! Go Acres

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
falka
Club Player

falka wrote:Yes.
Sorry I went a bit early.

I think he will be better then everyone thinks. Haha

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He seems like a nice kid and I think his abilities are there just needs to enjoy it and not let himself get overwhelmed. He had a hickey on his neck (not Tom) at the JO training so presumably he has a girl friend or love interest here. I believe that Cripps had a girl friend in Perth still and it was a major factor in his decision to go home. You can get new mates quickly but when you get love sick you make crazy decisions.

noob
Club Player

Doesn't seem like a kid to leave. From what I've seen his level headed. I remember his first saint interview on draft day he was absolutely thrilled to be coming to Melbourne. Keep him happy and I don't see why he would move back

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cry me a river

Cripps....

His nickname should be nails

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Doing well in a difficult game so far. I like what im seeing.

Sadly the pro Hawthorn commentary box has creamed themselves over Hartung without giving Acres much of a mention

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:By the way I noticed on Big Footy that they reckon Acres will do a Cripps and go home after a couple of years,I hope not!
Don't worry about that crap site.
Looks a spitting image of Farren Ray

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:Doing well in a difficult game so far. I like what im seeing.

Sadly the pro Hawthorn commentary box has creamed themselves over Hartung without giving Acres much of a mention

BANG BANG
Yes they are carrying on about Hartung who has done nothing special- I reckon old granny could get a kick against the Saints today. Acres has made a far more impressive debut in a struggling excuse for a team today.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Cripps is the softest player in the AFL. Glad he went back to WA.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!