Hickey- Foot Injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

70s sainter
Club Player

Re: Hickey- Foot Injury

Whats with all the foot injuries?
its like the modern day os-pubis.
Is this mismanagement by the club or what?
Gilbert, steven, Hickey are just a few this year with large weeks out.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Looks like they are burning out and not rusting out as promised at the start of the year

70s sainter
Club Player

I wonder if there is a history of foot injuries at port adelaide over the last couple of years. It would be interesting to compare as i imagine the saints would be adopting ports training stratagies .

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

At least we have a developing ruck replacement in Longer. It's good for the future to get games into him as well. It will be interesting to see how he goes over consecutive games.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:...Using Riewoldt in the ruck is as silly as using Black Caviar to pull a milk cart.
Mooooo!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:I wonder if there is a history of foot injuries at port adelaide over the last couple of years. It would be interesting to compare as i imagine the saints would be adopting ports training stratagies .
Less stoppages and increased running will have this effect. Also, Adam Basil our new high performance manager is an ex track and field athlete. Foot injuries a common injury for that sport, I'm sure his pre season training would have reflected something similar from his track days.

PJ
SS Life Member

Happy for Longer to get a few games in while Hickey has a rest. Good ins, we need to keep rotating the youth so they don't burn out.

At this point in our rebuild I don't think we need to get too worried about players dropping in and out.

I think Simpkin gets a bit of a bad rap sometimes. He's always impressed me with his attack on the contest and his hardness in defence will go hand in hand with Delaney.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Saint wagga
Club Player

"Foot injury" is such a vague term and pretty dissapointing that the club gives it's fans such skinny detail on the actual nature of the injury. If it's a stress reaction, be conservative most likely of either the navicular or the 2nd metatarsal, it's straight up a 6-8 week recovery, no shortcuts about it...bone doesn't heal quicker regardless...Gilbert (stress fracture of 2nd metatarsal needing surgical fixation) clearly came back too soon, thats a f*** up by the sports medicos, no two ways about it...why you would rush someone's return for rd 1 in a 23 rd comp baffles...Stevens injury, fractured sesamoid, was different and was not work volume related...the spate of foot stressies (acres also had one) is likely due to the increased running volume in the preseason, even a subtle shift in actual km's can take its toll on the list, the upside is running out games a lot better than last year...this is we're consistency in personnel over years helps whole lists adjust to a certain training style...I hope hickeys recovery is not rushed, because if healed well and good, you can recover 100% the last thing he needs is steel hardware in his foot at his age!

70s sainter
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:"Foot injury" is such a vague term and pretty dissapointing that the club gives it's fans such skinny detail on the actual nature of the injury. If it's a stress reaction, be conservative most likely of either the navicular or the 2nd metatarsal, it's straight up a 6-8 week recovery, no shortcuts about it...bone doesn't heal quicker regardless...Gilbert (stress fracture of 2nd metatarsal needing surgical fixation) clearly came back too soon, thats a f*** up by the sports medicos, no two ways about it...why you would rush someone's return for rd 1 in a 23 rd comp baffles...Stevens injury, fractured sesamoid, was different and was not work volume related...the spate of foot stressies (acres also had one) is likely due to the increased running volume in the preseason, even a subtle shift in actual km's can take its toll on the list, the upside is running out games a lot better than last year...this is we're consistency in personnel over years helps whole lists adjust to a certain training style...I hope hickeys recovery is not rushed, because if healed well and good, you can recover 100% the last thing he needs is steel hardware in his foot at his age!
Cheers st.wagga

gringo
Saintsational Legend

They blamed Seaford on SEN. Is the ground to hard?

ace
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Unfortunately Ben will teach young Billy a lesson, however the conditions will negate Ben a bit in the air. Billy should beat Ben in the tap outs, but Ben will influence the contest more around the ground

Longer's physical style will suit conditions a little better than Hickeys style anyway IMO
The only lesson Longer will learn from McEvoy is you can be a hopeless ruckman and still make a good living playing for a team that had not much choice other than to persue you.
Longer only needs to keep his eye on the ball and he will beat McEvoy 2:1 in hitouts.
McEvoy will win the body contest 2:1 because he still thinks being a ruckman is the same as being a wrestler.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:...Using Riewoldt in the ruck is as silly as using Black Caviar to pull a milk cart.
Mooooo!
Black Caviar is best eaten cold.
Riewoldt is best when he is hot.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

A real shame about Hickey not playing. Was really looking forward to him going up against Ben. Oh well the next best thing will be seeing how Longer shapes up.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

update on TOm and Luke
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 6903712117
Pelchen said ruckman Tom Hickey (foot) faced a “period of time” on the sidelines that would not be known until next week, but Luke Dunstan (concussion) would return next week after a head clash with Daniel Markworth at training.

“(Hickey’s) injury only presented itself in the last 48 hours. Coming out of the game in New Zealand he had some soreness,” Pelchen said, adding his scans were clear,

“We’ll see how it settles down over the weekend and it could be that he has to have a period of time on the sidelines.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:"Foot injury" is such a vague term and pretty dissapointing that the club gives it's fans such skinny detail on the actual nature of the injury. If it's a stress reaction, be conservative most likely of either the navicular or the 2nd metatarsal, it's straight up a 6-8 week recovery, no shortcuts about it...bone doesn't heal quicker regardless...Gilbert (stress fracture of 2nd metatarsal needing surgical fixation) clearly came back too soon, thats a f*** up by the sports medicos, no two ways about it...why you would rush someone's return for rd 1 in a 23 rd comp baffles...Stevens injury, fractured sesamoid, was different and was not work volume related...the spate of foot stressies (acres also had one) is likely due to the increased running volume in the preseason, even a subtle shift in actual km's can take its toll on the list, the upside is running out games a lot better than last year...this is we're consistency in personnel over years helps whole lists adjust to a certain training style...I hope hickeys recovery is not rushed, because if healed well and good, you can recover 100% the last thing he needs is steel hardware in his foot at his age!
Can you please contact the club and help them out

I have also my doubts about our medicos this year.

Clearly Gilbo was mismanaged. It's criminal.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Didn't we have a lot of soft-tissues injuries during GT's time as coach? Seems that the training systems can directly impact on certain types of injuries, and I was a bit surprised that Gilbert came back so quickly from that particular foot injury.