September bound?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: September bound?

Teflon wrote:why would you want to pretend at the bottom end of the 8 that we somehow have the talent to knock Hawks/Cats over..let's build to be a SERIOUS challenger one where on every line people spot hood players with multiple A Graders...
I can see where you are coming from Teffers but you're not suggesting the T word are you?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Highly unlikely.

It is a marathon and the kids will get tired. There will be a few more 12+ goal floggings this year, but it is very exciting to see kids like Billings, Dunstan, ELi, Jack Newnes ets coming through.

Also pretty happy with early season form

3 or wins is about as many as I thought we may win allyear.
Likewise. We have snowballs chance in hell of playing in September.

What is pleasing however is to see some of our oldies enjoy playing after what was a bizarre few years under Watters.

To quote Justin Bieber, 'You smile, I smile'.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
ShanghaiSaint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Stranger things have happened I guess, but I can't think of one. At least we'll take a few scalps like we did to the drug cheats tonight. Go Saints!
i would prefer to miss this year pick up a few more niceish picks and build for solid runs at it.
Absolutely - why would you want to pretend at the bottom end of the 8 that we somehow have the talent to knock Hawks/Cats over..let's build to be a SERIOUS challenger one where on every line people spot hood players with multiple A Graders...
Exactly right Teflon. Would we really want to do a Carlton & hang around the bottom of the 8 without EVER challenging? I'd prefer decent draft picks & a proper rebuild rather than taking short cuts ie Chris "The Messiah" Judd.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Blues would be worlds better off right now if they had Kennedy instead of Judd.

What was it - 13 top 12 draft picks they have? They totally squandered the draft. Miles worse than us even.

I am starting to really believe we are the real deal. Decent president, Decent CEO, Pelchen, Elshaugh, Richardson and seemingly good development coaches (e.g Gilbee) and we are ahead of of schedule.

If we use 2018/19 as the end point then our squad might consist of:

Probables
Steven
Hickey
Newnes
Webster
Billings
Dunstan
Wright
Stanley
Delaney
Curren
Armo
Geary

Possibles
Templeton
Weller
Acres
Bruce
Simpkin
Saunders

then a few more 'Maybes' e.g Siposs, Lee, Savage, Roberton, Markworth etc

To be really right up there in 2018 we probably only need 5 more good players in that squad (including a key fwd).

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont reckon the results matter all that much to Richo and the coaches ... its all about getting quallity time into the list when it clicks we will beat some good sides .. when it doesnt we will get flogged as the team develops the hope is that in more games it clicks then there are games when it doesnt click we may very well exceed expectations this year but the pay off for that is we will prob come back to earth more next year ... the rebuild will take a bit of time and we will be up and down and more than likely down and down before we start to see the team ready to challange

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont reckon the results matter all that much to Richo and the coaches

If they're any good they will want to win every game and be disappointed when they don't or can't. Same goes for any footballer worth his salt.

But I'm sure this is tempered with an honest assessment of where we are at development-wise.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
Teflon wrote:
kosifantutti wrote: We will get a first round pick next year, regardless of where we
Carlton loaded up for years. Where did it get them?

Billings is great but so is Dunstan and hopefully Acres as well.

Play to win, draft well, build a winning culture. That's what I'd like to see.
True but we loaded up 2000/01 and got Riewoldt for a decade...... I'd take that again

Point is unless your pick is high you don't have a chance....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

For those saying bottoming out properly ain't guaranteed for success - it isn't but IM backing Pelican and co I reckon they're quite deliberate in who they target and that's a good thing

“Yeah….nah””
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

True but we loaded up 2000/01 and got Riewoldt for a decade...... I'd take that again

Point is unless your pick is high you don't have a chance....
Don't have a chance of what?

Sheahan's top 10 had Selwood, Fyfe, Sandilands and Dangerfield plus a couple of father son picks. No number one picks.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"