Rhys' best game for the club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rhys' best game for the club

He has been consistent all year, probably averaging around 15 possessions a game. Tonight was a game where the consistency started to become very good.
I've always said he could be anything, and believe if he does find that mojo, would be one of the most difficult players to contend with. 200 cm's with great speed and agility. A tall defender couldn't match him for pace, a smaller quicker one for height.
Very difficult to counter.
Let's hope the excitement we have all hoped for, is being brought out by Richo.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Did I mention 13 marks?

13 marks!!!

saint-stu
Club Player

That's the big difference I reckon Con. In previous years he really struggled to take contested marks. This year he is sticking them regularly. So important for his role.

1ac46a38
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:Would that be the first time he has played 5 games in a row for our club?
Amazing what playing footy constantly does for confidence…
He needs to build from here, just be consistent, playing 2nd ruck keeps him involved as well...
He played 18 in a row last year.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

perfectionist wrote:Took 13 marks, mostly over his head and with some contest. Can't recall him dropping any sitters. That's the difference.
Yes he was great tonight. Was a good target up forward, a lot better option then Wilkes. Great game Rhys keep it up!

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Showed he can make it!

That game needs to be burnt to disc, and replayed to Rhys as needed going forward.

Just needs to keep presenting... regardless. Regardless of whether or not he marks it, or whether or not a lead is honoured.

The more contests you contest, the more contests you can influence.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
SAAD
Club Player

Has Rhys arrived???!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote: That game needs to be burnt to disc, and replayed to Rhys as needed going forward.

Ross who?
Club Player

Over the moon that Rhys is finally getting some kudos. The boy works really hard at improving. I think if he can take confidence out of this game(especially with one grabbing marks) and never look back, he could really be a very good AFL player.

I also think that Rhys is one of the best kicks in the team, which is not accredited to him much.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

We have all waited for this but I think he is now consolidating his position and he has the coachs confidence. , sure he played 18 games last year but he was played a lot in the back line and all over the place ,must be good as a player to know the coach has confidence in you ,well done Rhys !

PADDLEPOP1000
ljpoyz
Club Player

thing is, he isn't 'explosive' he takes a fair while to get up to full speed which is bloody quick.
Milne wrote:Great game by Rhys, would love to see him use his explosive pace to his advantage though.

I'm hoping this game gives him some confidence.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's amazing what building confidence can do. We know that he has the potential, but it's great to see such a good result - a big help to the overall forward structure. Let's hope that he can continue to build on it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
maverick wrote:Would that be the first time he has played 5 games in a row for our club?
Amazing what playing footy constantly does for confidence…
He needs to build from here, just be consistent, playing 2nd ruck keeps him involved as well...
He played 18 in a row last year.
And that people is why he has been building to games like last night. Yes he was played out of position at times but IMO he was still learning valuable skills in those situations all the mean while getting match conditioning. He had a good pre season as well I believe so hopefully we can expect more of last night more often. He's so valuable to us...I'm a fan.

Hoges
Club Player

While his marking on lead was great, and this no doubt meant nick could spend more time close to goal - what really pleased me (on watching relay) was desire to throw his body in- if he can keep imprint his tackling / bumping pressure- I reckon the rest of his game will fall into place

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

I have a lot of love for Rhys, loved his game on sat night. but i always pictured him leading hard out of the square. a new faster leading kosi if you will. with todays fast movement out of denfence off a turnover i hoped Rhys pace would allow him to become a link up lead into the attacking 50 to have a shot.

but he's on the right track and things can only get better.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Very impressive...

I've been one to jump off the wagon the last few years worried with his stagnant form.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Very impressive...

I've been one to jump off the wagon the last few years worried with his stagnant form.
Watters killed him. i thought he might make it down back but TBH love seeing playing forward again.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Richter
SS Life Member

Great to see him playing that link Tall, through his leading and marking. Also, with his pace and athleticism he can be part of counter-attack footy, with the 50-60m passes from Gwilt, Webster etc. over the top of the zone.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Siposstar#2
Club Player

One positive out of last nights game I thought was the way ryhs finished the game.
He looked to have a bit of confidence, his running patterns seem to be getting better.
Could his year in defense help him see what it takes to be a quality forward. And learnt some tricks?
I know he wasn't great but that last quarter he seemed to want to be a match winner. He normally looks happy to sit back and just contribute. IMO

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Hope he does finally make a name for himself, i'd rather have Rhys than Carlisle down forward, i wouldn't mind Jake at CHB in our team though.

Fish Lips is determined to play him out of position, comical, especially as they get beaten, weekly.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Surprised other have not said how good his NZ game was. Yes quite in the first half BUT our midfield were dreadful in the first half.

IMPORTANTLY Stanley was a better player than Roo in the NZ IMO, and that is certainly a milestone. He took some ripper contested marks including the one he goaled with.

He just needs to keep improving and slotting goals. He is actually a good kick, and just needs to show it when it matters most.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Surprised other have not said how good his NZ game was. Yes quite in the first half BUT our midfield were dreadful in the first half.

IMPORTANTLY Stanley was a better player than Roo in the NZ IMO, and that is certainly a milestone. He took some ripper contested marks including the one he goaled with.

He just needs to keep improving and slotting goals. He is actually a good kick, and just needs to show it when it matters most.

Confidence is everything and he has finally started to believe he is up to it. Playing him down back you could see his confidence disappearing before your eyes.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I've backed him since day one.

Keep it up Rhys.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Everyone agreed with his move to defence... When he played one game there it was hailed a success (albeit loose man)

He has been very good in the last two weeks

Playing his obvious role... Alternate tall fwd and second ruck

oldie60
Club Player

Interesting that Rhys is starting to show promise. Could Richo be applying the same strategies that Port Power did with Westhoff as until last season he was also one that looked like a wasted talent. Really hope the kid realises that hard work is the key to being given the opportunity and whilst he does that the game time will come as well as the confidence.