$800,000 for Frawley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: $800,000 for Frawley

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He is worth 800K to the hawks and one or two other clubs with a huge chance of winning the flag in the next couple of years. Hawks would be crazy not to pay that amount if he is the best player available as it seems they have the money because they lost Buddy. freo would also have the money and need a FB. We would be crazy to get him at that price. Its to early for FA for us. At least a year or maybe even 2 away. And the Dees would probably get pick 2 if they finished last. The rider is is it based on what he is getting from the demons or what he will get at his new club? Because if its based on the demons money they have no hope because he isnt in the top 10 paid players at the club.
He's not in the top 10 at Melbourne?
Surely there aren't 10 blokes getting more than him? Clarke, Dawes, Trengrove, Jones, Watts… maybe Jamar at a stretch… who else do you reckon?

he evidently had a front loaded contract....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He is worth 800K to the hawks and one or two other clubs with a huge chance of winning the flag in the next couple of years. Hawks would be crazy not to pay that amount if he is the best player available as it seems they have the money because they lost Buddy. freo would also have the money and need a FB. We would be crazy to get him at that price. Its to early for FA for us. At least a year or maybe even 2 away. And the Dees would probably get pick 2 if they finished last. The rider is is it based on what he is getting from the demons or what he will get at his new club? Because if its based on the demons money they have no hope because he isnt in the top 10 paid players at the club.
He's not in the top 10 at Melbourne?
Surely there aren't 10 blokes getting more than him? Clarke, Dawes, Trengrove, Jones, Watts… maybe Jamar at a stretch… who else do you reckon?

he evidently had a front loaded contract....

Correct. Another issue of front ending that i pointed out about jack steven just the other day. You have to be careful.

70s sainter
Club Player

I still can't believe that melb could get pick 2 for him . Ridiculous when u consider hawks got pick 19 for buddy and we got 13 for Goddard .
It can't be just automatic after their first pick surely.
What would trigger the deal for melb to get a pick at the end of the first round?
That would be a fair result for everyone.
Does anyone know ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Well if he isn't in their current top 10 paid then surely they don't deserve pick 2 for him?

They already unbelievably got 2 first round picks for Scully which was absurd, who they tanked for, were fined 500K, but then given 2 million dollars back… :shock:

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

goddard is not worth it so frawley is def not worth it

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Well if he isn't in their current top 10 paid then surely they don't deserve pick 2 for him?

They already unbelievably got 2 first round picks for Scully which was absurd, who they tanked for, were fined 500K, but then given 2 million dollars back… :shock:

It will depend. Is it based on what he has been earning or what he will be earning. he certainly is in the right age group for a first round pick. Thomas was one last year i believe.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Worth 500k

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:Well if he isn't in their current top 10 paid then surely they don't deserve pick 2 for him?

It will depend. Is it based on what he has been earning or what he will be earning. he certainly is in the right age group for a first round pick. Thomas was one last year i believe.
I believe it is based on the offer accepted, not the previous contract.
If he goes for $800k, they will get pick 2.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I believe it is based on the offer accepted, not the previous contract.
If he goes for $800k, they will get pick 2.

Thanks. I think you are right then.

Megsie
Club Player

Thought the great messiah was sent to dees so all the
kings men wouldn't want to leave the kingdom of "melbourne FC"

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Wouldn't pay $800k for him if it included free jousting sticks !!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:
Old Mate wrote:IMO Frawley has already made up his mind which club he is going to. His manager is effectively telling other clubs thanks but no thanks. He'll probably sign for around 200k under that to his preferred club....Hawthorn or Freo my bet at around 4 x 550-600k. Unrestricted free agent so Melbourne cannot match. They'll be happy to get pick 2 for him anyway.
But there is no way on earth they'd get pick 2. What did Geelong get for Ablett?
Geelong did not finish bottom.

It is tied to ladder finish. Cats were up the top...so their pick was there as well.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne really will be loaded up with high draft picks if this plays out like you guys are predicting. If they are not playing finals next year they are a complete basket case.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Melbourne really will be loaded up with high draft picks if this plays out like you guys are predicting. If they are not playing finals next year they are a complete basket case.

Dont get that. The high draft picks are young. they have no good older players bar jones and if they keep frawley. GC are in their 4th year with much better picks and still may not make finals.

70s sainter
Club Player

If we get a reiwoldt replacement with our pick 4-5 I ll be happy. .

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Well Clarke has retired so that will free up their salary cap a bit more now.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Mitch Clark has retired ( you were right stinger)
Poor bloke…

It will give them plenty of cap space though, what was he on 700PA?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Mitch Clark has retired ( you were right stinger)
Poor bloke…

It will give them plenty of cap space though, what was he on 700PA?

Sad and i doubt anyone could blame the Dees for that one. Looked a very good player when he was up and about.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

70s sainter wrote:If we get a reiwoldt replacement with our pick 4-5 I ll be happy. .

i think jack Riewoldt would be gettable once his next contract expires and maybe even want out before. Someone told me he's not happy at the moment. That would be a quick rooey replacement.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think that you'd be foolish to pay that... $450k is what he's worth

I actually agree with plugger but would only add that whilst I u/s this strategy IMO if you go down that path, you're ensuring a long rebuild (though if it snags you anther premiership, who cares)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sometimes rebuilds need experienced talent and leadership

GWS now understand that 20 kids is just lambs to the slaughter.... And added some talented seniors

In 2000-2002
We hit the draft hard with 12 draftees in three drafts all inside pick 50
And a number of Rookies
We also traded for three other former first round selections all under 21 ATT (Gram, Penny, Brooks)
To do this we off loaded Spider, Hall, Wakelin

We kept some veterans and mid age or young talent... Harvey, Burke, Loewe, Hudghton,, Jones, Hayes

But we also spent Big Bucks on three players.... Gehrig 24yo, Hamill 23yo, Black 22yo

Bought in two important players from the Pre Draft
B.Voss 24yo, S. Powell 26yo

Within 3 years we were contenders
The draft is not the only avenue to list building
And now there free agency

We have offloaded the three players
BJ, McEvoy, Dal

Kept Vets
Fisher, Dempster, Hayes, Riewoldt, Schnieder

Kept some mid range
Armitage, Gilbert, Steven, Geary

Drafted in our top 50 picks.... Billings, wright, Ross, Acres, Newnes, Webbster, Dunstan, Markworth, Saunders

Traded for some talented kids... Longer, Bruce

Got a few players for Zilch
Roberton, Delaney

I think we need to bring in 7 new players to the club including another batch of High DPs

A pre season top pick... When a good opposition player is squeezed out. A free agent use our SC and add experience and leadership.... And a trade... To better suit our needs... Offload a good player to get another different type of good player

Out
Could include. Gwilt, Maister, Dunnell, TDL, Simpkin, Milera, Hayes
Ross... Trade? For a player or pick
Gilbert... Trade? For a player or pick

White, Siposs and Stanley are hard to place ATM.... Would possibly look at offloading either if Ross or Gilbert didn't get interest
Need to continue to evolve the list

2 upgrades.... Templeton, Minchington/Weller

Amazing how quick the wheel turns

FQF
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
70s sainter wrote:If we get a reiwoldt replacement with our pick 4-5 I ll be happy. .

i think jack Riewoldt would be gettable once his next contract expires and maybe even want out before. Someone told me he's not happy at the moment. That would be a quick rooey replacement.
There has been talk that he needs to leave the club to get the most out of himself. He's also known to be close to Nick. They speak regularly and often discuss opposition defenders.

Jack is no Nick, and certainly won't be able to step into his shoes because he plays a totally different style. But he is still an elite forward and someone worth looking into if he is on the table.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We have offloaded the three players
BJ, McEvoy, Dal

Kept Vets
Fisher, Dempster, Hayes, Riewoldt, Schnieder

Kept some mid range
Armitage, Gilbert, Steven, Geary

Drafted in our top 50 picks.... Billings, wright, Ross, Acres, Newnes, Webbster, Dunstan, Markworth, Saunders

Traded for some talented kids... Longer, Bruce

Got a few players for Zilch
Roberton, Delaney

I think we need to bring in 7 new players to the club including another batch of High DPs
You're assuming that all of these moves are going to work out. Also in 2000 - 2002:

Gale, Powell, Monkhorst, Mitchell, Plapp, Delaney, Charles, Ryan, Cook, Callaghan, Capuano, Knobel
Davis, Wulf, Oliver, Houlihan, Ferguson, Murray, L Fisher, Begley

(Not sure of the exact years on all those guys but they all went through around that time.)

My point is that in 00 - 02 we went through a bunch of players and quickly got rid of the ones who didn't work out - the majority. We still haven't tried out anywhere near the numbers that failed in those years, so we're relying on our strike rate being better this time around. Let's hope it is.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Who'd pay $800K for a Spud

:lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
lefty
Club Player

Doesn't fit our age bracket or plan by 2018.

Pass.