Roo Bags Seaford

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo Bags Seaford

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:It will come into play when we try to recruit big names ,why travel an hour extra to nowhere when you can stay in the middle of where it's happening ,journalists and film crew would go to Moorabbin but not down to seaford on occasions when we need them ,in this day and age it will be crucial!
If we are successful on field it will not be a factor IMO.
Disagree in this day and age of media and sponsorship ,being close to or at least in the vicinity of where it all happens is important
Respectfully, being geographically isolated hasn't stopped Geelong getting its share of media over the past 10 years. It's all about success.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I go up and down Punt road a fair bit and this morning they had Collingwood the storm and Victory all training next to each other and the Storm family day. It's a promo tool for their club. Likewise the Tigers. They park their free jeeps at the carpark and you see Jack Riewoldt and co crossing Punt road while you drive past. Young impressionable kids get up close to these stars and make connections. That is stuff that can't be underestimated. Even the Hawks are promoted heavily from the SE arterial at Waverley. You drive past the Saints on the franggers fwy and it looks like a suburban junior footy club ground.

Junction oval would be amazing because already heaps of tourists that settle here get on the Saints because of St kilda being their first stop in Melbourne. If they could be promoted to and have a retail shop there, the overseas folks could by supporter apparel as souvenirs to take home.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

As well geography isn't the predominant reason for choosing a club any more. Once it was almost unheard of to have a club from other areas of melbourne now it seems like that has gone out the window. Finding better ways to promote yourselves to the next generations is the way to go. Get seen and this takes care of it's self. We seem to think we can recreate Geelong in the peninsula but you cant go backwards.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Always been a sook, not surprised at all.
Reckon he had plenty to do with Watters' sacking also.
if he had something to do with the watters sacking then I like the bloke even more and as far as a sook is concerned I'm tipping you wish you were half the man he is. :)

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:It will come into play when we try to recruit big names ,why travel an hour extra to nowhere when you can stay in the middle of where it's happening ,journalists and film crew would go to Moorabbin but not down to seaford on occasions when we need them ,in this day and age it will be crucial!
Then please explain why Geelong have been the most successful club over the last decade, last I saw, Geelong was a lot further away from the what use to be slums but are now fashionable inner suburbs of Melbourne.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Always been a sook, not surprised at all.
Reckon he had plenty to do with Watters' sacking also.
Shivers big call. I don't think Riewoldt is a 'sook' at all.

From Jakes

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/ ... 327ho.html

Might best to actually read the context of what he was saying. Admits the geographical issues, but says the challenge is to make any place feel like home. Talks about making Portsea to Port Melbourne our entire area, the bayside area....

Stand your ground :shock:
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:The Saints trained at Moorabbin today, after which they announced Roo will retain the captaincy, and had a media conference at Middle Brighton Beach.

The captain said he was happy they trained at Moorabbin and that Seaford is geographically challenged.

Waiting for a certain poster to state he doesn't understand the problem with Seaford!
Who would that be ?

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Geelong have a whole town following them ,geographically a huge amount of people on their own not to mention a grea media manager who knows how to get great media and get the town involved with the football club ,a huge amount of their sponsorship and media comes from Geelong ,they do however know how to work the media when needed , or get them down to Simmons stadium when the occasion arises!

PADDLEPOP1000
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

If a saints player F**ks up those same journalists will have NO ISSUE making their way to Seaford....

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
If a saints player F**ks up those same journalists will have NO ISSUE making their way to Seaford....
Very true. , but thats not the media we need or want we want to be able to bring journalists and reporters to a place they want to come to ,make them welcome and believe me for a now generation journo/ reporter Seaford is a hike!

PADDLEPOP1000
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Nice to see some anti-Roo agendas being pushed without looking at the context... He is spot on, and the Seaford move is, and always will be, a mistake.. There is no shame in admitting that..

Agree with all that gringo wrote... Exposure and a presence is all that matters now in branding... We have none out in those backwaters...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Very true. , but thats not the media we need or want we want to be able to bring journalists and reporters to a place they want to come to ,make them welcome and believe me for a now generation journo/ reporter Seaford is a hike!
They'll visit if there is a reason, we are a battling club, with small membership, little interest from sponsors , little chance of playing finals and our best players are nearing retirement.

I don't see the difference between a journo travelling to Seaford versus travelling to Tullamarine, it's more the club they are visiting that makes them get off their asses and drive.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The Bohemian (Roberton) lives close to Seaford.
If a senior player like a certain forward is "committed to being a one-club player" ,
then he should bite the bullet.
Accept what the club has done. If you spend 5-6 days a week at Seaford,
and one day at the Waterside Hotel (if he still owns it) then commonsense would dictate
that he would MOVE closer to the place that he travels to most.
Unless he wants the club to move training base to Docklands.
Why not ? He could walk to the Waterside after training.
The other players don't matter. He's the Captain.
Move heaven & earth to make him happy.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintdooley wrote: And what a poor, poor, foolish decision it was.
Quote/argue/debate with me now but come say G'day to me in 10 years time and let's see how it's going
I tend to agree with you it Dooley that it was a poor decision. I liked central Frankston much better. Visibility in the middle of a big city instead of invisibility in the back blocks of Belvedere.

My point is that the decision has been made and cannot be reversed. The money has been spent, the facility has been built. It's not as if we're a wealthy club.

We need to commit to it and make it work.

Having now read the actual context in which Roo made the comments, it seems that he is saying the same
Exactly. It's going to be very hard to make it work though, mainly because of the positioning. Almost impossible to get to unless you drive. Train, bus then 10 min walk up side streets is not ideal

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
saintdooley wrote: And what a poor, poor, foolish decision it was.
Quote/argue/debate with me now but come say G'day to me in 10 years time and let's see how it's going
I tend to agree with you it Dooley that it was a poor decision. I liked central Frankston much better. Visibility in the middle of a big city instead of invisibility in the back blocks of Belvedere.

My point is that the decision has been made and cannot be reversed. The money has been spent, the facility has been built. It's not as if we're a wealthy club.

We need to commit to it and make it work.

Having now read the actual context in which Roo made the comments, it seems that he is saying the same
Exactly. It's going to be very hard to make it work though, mainly because of the positioning. Almost impossible to get to unless you drive. Train, bus then 10 min walk up side streets is not ideal
To get to Moorabbin when i was younger than 18 i had to walk a mile, catch a train to Caulfield, change to a Frankston line train and catch it back to Moorabbin and then walk to the ground. That was what you did if wanted to get from A to B.

People today are so soft, they can't handle inconvenience.

I still haven't heard a real issue.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

just as well Lockett, Frawley, Burns and Cunningham + + ++ + didn't find it too difficult to travel to Moorabbin-- 2 hours in those days--

I believe one Bomber #9 complained about the monash traffic jam when he was stuck on city link several montsh ago----

seems he maybe should move closer to his training base- rather than the middle of the city which isn't even close to a golf course....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
We all know why we are there and we all know the sooner we can return full time to Moorabbin the better.
Why are we there?

bozza1980
Club Player

This has to be one of the biggest taking the piss "issues" of all time.

Seaford is 25mins down the road from Moorabbin, 25 mins!! Sure I unnderstand initial reluctance but a professional moves past that, we are talking 25mins!!

As for fears that the press will never cover us, you only had to see the entire press corp out the front when Watters was sacked to know this is bollocks, if we are relevant again the press will drive to the moon to cover us.

I also struggle to comprehend the idea that players will refuse to come to us. Players move 5000kms across the country for an opportunity but wont move 40mins down the freeway? That defies logic.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Been in the rooms at Moorabbin

Walked through LHC today

I would rather Travel half an hour and train in good facilities, than live near a sh*thole workplace! Moorabbin is a dump, and the facilities for a professional organisation were a joke!!

If I were a saints player, I'd go the other way and live from Mornington to Portsea somewhere.... Heaps of prime real estate which is better than the concrete jungle, full of try hard bohemian, Latte sipping wankers... Near crap beaches.

Mornington peninsula has the best bayside beaches, it has ocean beaches, quality golf courses, affordable marinas, awesome views in certain places... Better lifestyle at half the price of some overhyped crowded old intercity dumps...
Daveys Bay south of Frankston is as nice a spot as you can live... If you work bayside...
Mt Eliza, Dromana, Blairgowrie... My selections

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Been in the rooms at Moorabbin

Walked through LHC today

I would rather Travel half an hour and train in good facilities, than live near a sh*thole workplace! Moorabbin is a dump, and the facilities for a professional organisation were a joke!!

If I were a saints player, I'd go the other way and live from Mornington to Portsea somewhere.... Heaps of prime real estate which is better than the concrete jungle, full of try hard bohemian, Latte sipping wankers... Near crap beaches.

Mornington peninsula has the best bayside beaches, it has ocean beaches, quality golf courses, affordable marinas, awesome views in certain places... Better lifestyle at half the price of some overhyped crowded old intercity dumps...
Daveys Bay south of Frankston is as nice a spot as you can live... If you work bayside...
Mt Eliza, Dromana, Blairgowrie... My selections

As a try hard bohemian, latte sipping wanker i find that very offensive. I stopped in Rosebud on my way to Portsea because they didn't build a big enough highway to cope with traffic and I can honestly say the people down that way are all potential serial killers. Anyone brave enough to stop anywhere between Sorento and Mt eliza is very brave. If they could take the locals away they might want to live there.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My point proven... Pretentious knobs, full of judgment because they live near some tall buildings in old dog boxes...

I live down here, could live closer to that aesthetically beautiful (cough, cough) city but would rather a 800sq block a minute from the beach without spening Millions. I have neighbours who are not serial killers, in fact most own boats as big as city dwellers houses... Not that having a bob or two means a great deal, but pretending a better class of citizen lives north of Moorabbin is a bit rich....

Compared to Sydney, Pert, Hobart and Adelaide.... Melbourne inner City is neither beautiful or value for money imo

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:This has to be one of the biggest taking the piss "issues" of all time.

Seaford is 25mins down the road from Moorabbin, 25 mins!! Sure I unnderstand initial reluctance but a professional moves past that, we are talking 25mins!!

As for fears that the press will never cover us, you only had to see the entire press corp out the front when Watters was sacked to know this is bollocks, if we are relevant again the press will drive to the moon to cover us.

I also struggle to comprehend the idea that players will refuse to come to us. Players move 5000kms across the country for an opportunity but wont move 40mins down the freeway? That defies logic.
Well said, this Seaford is killing us bollocks is hysterical...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:My point proven... Pretentious knobs, full of judgment because they live near some tall buildings in old dog boxes...

I live down here, could live closer to that aesthetically beautiful (cough, cough) city but would rather a 800sq block a minute from the beach without spening Millions. I have neighbours who are not serial killers, in fact most own boats as big as city dwellers houses... Not that having a bob or two means a great deal, but pretending a better class of citizen lives north of Moorabbin is a bit rich....

Compared to Sydney, Pert, Hobart and Adelaide.... Melbourne inner City is neither beautiful or value for money imo

I thought you just proved my point. If I was young and lived down that way my brain would implode. It would cost $500 in a cab home if you wanted to do anything that resembled entertainment. The beach is great for the 3 warm months but thats why holiday houses are down that way. I think every serial killer in victoria's history has come from the Mornington peninsula. Amenity is worth the money, sitting by yourself in an isolated property sends you all Jack Nicholson in the Shining.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
We all know why we are there and we all know the sooner we can return full time to Moorabbin the better.
Why are we there?
Because Topsy Peachy said:"Coucil says NO!" To the Saints redeveloping Moorabbin back about 5 years ago!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
BigMart wrote:My point proven... Pretentious knobs, full of judgment because they live near some tall buildings in old dog boxes...

I thought you just proved my point. If I was young and lived down that way my brain would implode. It would cost $500 in a cab home if you wanted to do anything that resembled entertainment. The beach is great for the 3 warm months but thats why holiday houses are down that way. I think every serial killer in victoria's history has come from the Mornington peninsula. Amenity is worth the money, sitting by yourself in an isolated property sends you all Jack Nicholson in the Shining.
Agree.

Just be great full that BM is hence unlikely to be your neighbour lol.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.