free agents 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: free agents 2014

maverick wrote:
bergholt wrote:
maverick wrote:Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Serious? Dal averaged 25 touches a game this year. Savage in his entire career has only had four games with 25 or more possessions. This year he averaged 14.

He's got a long way to go to catch Dal's 2013, let alone Dal's best.
maverick wrote:Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Ben averaged 20 hitouts a game this year. Longer's had 28 hitouts IN TOTAL across his whole AFL career. 9 whole games of it.

There's no logical way you can argue that Longer could possibly be better than Ben's 2013, even though it wasn't such a good year for him.
maverick wrote:Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.
Maybe. But we can't get all of that "depth" out on the park at the same time, so as usual our better players are going to be the ones who win us games.
Very confident of Savage getting close to Dal's 2013, wasn't talking his best, why bring that up?
Longer could be better than Ben this year, bigger leap than Savage, but Ben's second half of the year was pretty ordinary, but yes that is a bigger leap.

Both Longer and Savage's stats to date are not worth much because they were not getting regular starts, they will next year.

I thought we were talking lists, not starting 22?
I did say I think our list had bottomed out not our best 22?

You did and I gave reasons why i dont think it has because we still are yet to lose 3 or 4 of our best 6 or 7 players. As for depth i hear about that every year but depth never looks good when you lose. At the start on 2013 I heard we had better depth than the previous year and probably heard the same the year before. And didnt this start because we both had reasons why we would win certain amounts of games. To do that the starting 22 is pretty important.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well it depends if you are looking at the future or only 2014. Dal hasnt been replaced with a player anywhere near his standard and I would say exactly the same for ben and Milney even allowing for ordinary years. The players we got for them like Longer and say savage mmaybe better players in the future but not next season IMO. I think the changes we made this year will mean the list isnt as good next season but will ensure we go up the ladder a year or two earlier than I thought. Lenny was our third or fourth best mid this year but I think injury had plenty to do with that. Sadly baring injury I think 4 out of best 6 players next year will be over 30 years of age. I still think our best 6 player are in no particular order Lenny, Rooy, Joey, Sam, Jack and either Armo or geary.
Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Neither played well, Ben didn't even poll top 10 B&F
No way is Sam in the top 6 now IMO.
Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.

Siposs will be better than BJ this year. Talk about overating players. longer may only play about 12 games. Savage will be a good ordinary player. Chips baring injury would still be in our top 6 especially when i can only think of Armo or Geary as the top 6. And yes I look at the top players because they are our best player. We dont even know our middle or bottom 6.
Whose talking Siposs?
Dal was ver ordinary this year, stats don't mean that much to me….
I know you love Ben, but we will not miss him IMO.
Why talk barring injury, he's rising 32-33, would you expect him to be injured less?
Are you rating our top players when they were 25 or now they are over 30, because none of them are A grade anymore, not even Roo, Jack is the closest we have now, at this stage anyway….
Think our list is better next year than this year and will be again the year after, will be interesting to see how Longer and Savage in particular go, have seen lots of Savage, I reckon you may be surprised…..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Savage will be better next year, than Dal was this year.
Longer will be better next year than Ben was this year.
Neither played well, Ben didn't even poll top 10 B&F
No way is Sam in the top 6 now IMO.
Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.

Siposs will be better than BJ this year. Talk about overating players. longer may only play about 12 games. Savage will be a good ordinary player. Chips baring injury would still be in our top 6 especially when i can only think of Armo or Geary as the top 6. And yes I look at the top players because they are our best player. We dont even know our middle or bottom 6.
Whose talking Siposs?
Why talk barring injury, he's rising 32-33, would you expect him to be injured less?
Are you rating our top players when they were 25 or now they are over 30, because none of them are A grade anymore, not even Roo, Jack is the closest we have now, at this stage anyway….
Think our list is better next year than this year and will be again the year after, will be interesting to see how Longer and Savage in particular go, have seen lots of Savage, I reckon you may be surprised…..

Didnt say you mentioned Siposs but people on here said he could do the job BJ did. Overating our players. Dal had a good year. Not great but a top 6 at the club year. Doubt savage has anything like that in him at this stage of his career. I dont love Ben at all. think he is good ruckman who played every game even with Hickey there. Longer 9 games in 2 years. huge impossible jump IMO of course. Chips could be injured less. Harves missed a full year at that age. No idea why you are saying A graders as i mentioned our best players. Nothing to do with A graders. Jack is our best player now but the next few are all over 30. Our list is better in 3 years than the list this year would have been in 3 years but no list losing Dal, Milney and ben can be a better list next year. I have seen lots of Savage as well. I watch about 5 or 6 games a week. I certainly will be surprised if he is as good as Dal this year.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote: Serious? Dal averaged 25 touches a game

Very confident of Savage getting close to Dal's 2013, wasn't talking his best, why bring that up?
Longer could be better than Ben this year, bigger leap than Savage, but Ben's second half of the year was pretty ordinary, but yes that is a bigger leap.

Both Longer and Savage's stats to date are not worth much because they were not getting regular starts, they will next year.

I thought we were talking lists, not starting 22?
I did say I think our list had bottomed out not our best 22?

You did and I gave reasons why i dont think it has because we still are yet to lose 3 or 4 of our best 6 or 7 players. As for depth i hear about that every year but depth never looks good when you lose. At the start on 2013 I heard we had better depth than the previous year and probably heard the same the year before. And didnt this start because we both had reasons why we would win certain amounts of games. To do that the starting 22 is pretty important.
This started because I said i thought our list had bottomed out not winning games, I agree with you, I don't think that has bottomed out…

Our 2013 list was horrendous, full of holes, next year's list is much better balanced, but IMO will possible generate a poorer record.
I didn't mean depth, if i used that term i am wrong, I mean from about 12-25, and for us it may be about 6-25.
Depth to me is 30+ on the list….

Our top end was still Ok in 2013, 6-12 got smashed with injuries/suspensions to Milney, Gilbert, Schneider and Chips and losing Gram and BJ (probably top 3), we need to weed out players like Ray, Jones, Gwilt and even Dempster to stem the decline in performance.
Players like Wright, Newnes, Ross, Webster and Murdoch need to play virtually every game in prominent roles with the players I mention above supporting them, not the other way around. If they don't make it so be it, then the next lot come through. Some will though.
This is why our results will be poorer but our list richer IMO, as at least 2-3 of those type of players will take the next step into our top 10 players.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Whose talking Siposs?

Didnt say you mentioned Siposs but people on here said he could do the job BJ did. Overating our players. Dal had a good year. Not great but a top 6 at the club year. Doubt savage has anything like that in him at this stage of his career. I dont love Ben at all. think he is good ruckman who played every game even with Hickey there. Longer 9 games in 2 years. huge impossible jump IMO of course. Chips could be injured less. Harves missed a full year at that age. No idea why you are saying A graders as i mentioned our best players. Nothing to do with A graders. Jack is our best player now but the next few are all over 30. Our list is better in 3 years than the list this year would have been in 3 years but no list losing Dal, Milney and ben can be a better list next year. I have seen lots of Savage as well. I watch about 5 or 6 games a week. I certainly will be surprised if he is as good as Dal this year.
I wasn't one of the ones rating Siposs better than BJ, I actually argued hard for BJ to stay and we should give him the money as it will hurt membership more….

Harvs had a one off knee, Fisher keeps having foot problems….

Savage is coming into his prime at 23 next year, he is capable of having a standout year, would you have though Kennedy could do what he has at the Swans? Not comparing the two by the way, just the concept….

I think you overrate the names for 2013 rather than their output, but we shall see…..
Montagna and Roo had great years, Dal serviceable, list wise, poor for his ability, Milne and Fisher average…..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

This started because I said i thought our list had bottomed out not winning games, I agree with you, I don't think that has bottomed out…

Our 2013 list was horrendous, full of holes, next year's list is much better balanced, but IMO will possible generate a poorer record.
I didn't mean depth, if i used that term i am wrong, I mean from about 12-25, and for us it may be about 6-25.
Depth to me is 30+ on the list….

Our top end was still Ok in 2013, 6-12 got smashed with injuries/suspensions to Milney, Gilbert, Schneider and Chips and losing Gram and BJ (probably top 3), we need to weed out players like Ray, Jones, Gwilt and even Dempster to stem the decline in performance.
Players like Wright, Newnes, Ross, Webster and Murdoch need to play virtually every game in prominent roles with the players I mention above supporting them, not the other way around. If they don't make it so be it, then the next lot come through. Some will though.
This is why our results will be poorer but our list richer IMO, as at least 2-3 of those type of players will take the next step into our top 10 players.

Ok fair enough then. And by the way I want you to be right about our new players. I will be very happy to say i was wrong at the end of 2014 because unlike a few on here I couldnt give a rats if im wrong.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:

Whose talking Siposs?

I wasn't one of the ones rating Siposs better than BJ, I actually argued hard for BJ to stay and we should give him the money as it will hurt membership more….

Savage is coming into his prime at 23 next year, he is capable of having a standout year, would you have though Kennedy could do what he has at the Swans? Not comparing the two by the way, just the concept….

I think you overrate the names for 2013 rather than their output, but we shall see…..
Montagna and Roo had great years, Dal serviceable, list wise, poor for his ability, Milne and Fisher average…..

I didnt say it was you about Siposs. Didnt harvs have 2 knees or was that lenny. Still think Chips can really play if he foot is ok. Im not overating names at all. Just looking at the B&f and adding 2 injured guys because I reckon both are still better than geary or Armo and they seem to be our next best.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I didnt say it was you about Siposs. Didnt harvs have 2 knees or was that lenny. Still think Chips can really play if he foot is ok. Im not overating names at all. Just looking at the B&f and adding 2 injured guys because I reckon both are still better than geary or Armo and they seem to be our next best.
Harvs only did one (03 I think?), Lenny did two (07 & 11)
Hope you're right on Chips, have always rated him since QF 2005, reckon our next best might be Newnes by the end of 2014

evo
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Serious? Dal averaged 25 touches a game this year. Savage in his entire career has only had four games with 25 or more possessions. This year he averaged 14.

Ben averaged 20 hitouts a game this year. Longer's had 28 hitouts IN TOTAL across his whole AFL career. 9 whole games of it.

There's no logical way you can argue that Longer could possibly be better than Ben's 2013, even though it wasn't such a good year for him.
maverick wrote:Again you concentrate on the top end, look at the mid tier and bottom end, much deeper list = better list.
Maybe. But we can't get all of that "depth" out on the park at the same time, so as usual our better players are going to be the ones who win us games.
We have bolstered our defence Delaney/Bruce.
We have recruited/drafted around half a dozen midfielders.
We have a ruckman who taps to advantage.

I cannot see us going backwards. - We could not have recruited/drafted better IMHO.

lloyd21
Club Player

evo wrote:
bergholt wrote:

We have bolstered our defence Delaney/Bruce.
We have recruited/drafted around half a dozen midfielders.
We have a ruckman who taps to advantage.

I cannot see us going backwards. - We could not have recruited/drafted better IMHO.

:D and a bloke called Schneider doing a preseason and another bloke called Fisher 8-) who is doing full preseason in 3 years.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would be offering Boak a s*** load of cash and see if we could get him to bite. I want to watch Kochies head explode.