Pick Your Best Team - Round 1, 2014

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Pick Your Best Team - Round 1, 2014

mad saint guy wrote:This is the team I'd put on the park in round 1

B: Dempster, Delaney, Geary
HB: Fisher, Bruce, Roberton
C: Curren, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Siposs/Markworth, Riewoldt, Savage
F: Schneider, Lee, Stanley

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Armitage
Int: Newnes, Billings, Ross
Sub: Wright/Webster/Dunnell/Saunders

In contention: Gwilt, Ray, Webster, Longer, Dunell, Markworth/Siposs, Simpkin, Jones, Maister, Saunders, Murdoch, Minchington, Dunell, Pick 18 (hopefully), Pick 19 (hopefully).
I like the look of your side MSG... only slightly extended your emergencies list. :wink:

I like the idea as suggested by a few of Gilbert and or Gwilt going forward a bit. Sam in particular. He's actually now a pretty reliable set shot on goal... still in that non-classical Stewie Loewe style though. :lol: They can rotate between half forward and half back as needed.

When Roo pushed really deep up the ground, Lee has done a good job of pushing up behind him to provide the next target down the line for Roo. I'd also looking at having Roo, Lee and Rhys Lightning rotating between playing CHF and deep forward, though with Roo still spending the majority of his on-field time at CHF.

I really hope that Sippa' is worthy of that forward spot everyone is giving him. I was/am tempted to put Markworth in there instead.

I also note a lot of faith shown by all in Savage... you must know something, so I'll go with that.

Normally I can see the merit in a first gamer starting as the sub, so as to 'ease' them in. But the first round is different... so many first gamers, so many first gamers at a new club... I'd be starting any first gamer who makes our 22, in the 21. So Billings wouldn't be the sub.

Of our mids, I expect Newnes to continue to improve, but I reckon the bolter will be Saunders.

I would be wanting to get Longer into the team as soon as possible, and also to get at least half a dozen games into Spenc-arrrrrrrrh in 2014.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
lloyd21
Club Player

boneless23 wrote:B:     Fisher     Delaney  Geary 
HB:  Wright.     Bruce.    Dempster
C:     Newnes.   Hayes.   Joey 
HF:  Billings.    Roo.      Savage
F:     Stanley    Lee         Schneider 
R:    Longer.     Armo.     Steven 
Int:  Hickey (ruck), Curran (mid/high half forward),  Gilbert (defensive mid), Roberton (medium defender) 

Emerg: Gwilt (medium defender).   Ross (inside mid),  Webster (HB)

A team like this is how I would start 2014 if I were Richo.

Gilbert's role is of real interest to me as I wonder if he could play a Ryan Crowley type role of a big bodied stopper who can keep his man accoutable by pushing forward at times. He played well on Juddy in 2012 in this role.

I think a great deal hangs on Wright, Newnes, Curren and Webster as I think all can develop into high quality players if we give them as much exposure to the big time as possible.
:D

Markworth Milera Webster Siposs will all play before Billings if he is picked in draft that is the system Tac to AFL huge diff

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Geez our list looks fresh... But its frightening how bad we'll be next year....

Looking forward to seeing Bruce, Longer and Savage player. Like those additions. But the experience we've lost - Kids not have to play because there is no one else...

FB: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Gilbert Bruce Fisher
C: Montagna Steven Savage
HF: Schnieder Riewoldt Billings (Why not!)
FF: Milera Lee Curren
R: Hickey Hayes Armitage
INT: Jones Newens Ross
SUB: Webster

EMG: Longer Murdoch Stanley

This is a work in progress.....

saint6709
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Geez our list looks fresh... But its frightening how bad we'll be next year....

Looking forward to seeing Bruce, Longer and Savage player. Like those additions. But the experience we've lost - Kids not have to play because there is no one else...

FB: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Gilbert Bruce Fisher
C: Montagna Steven Savage
HF: Schnieder Riewoldt Billings (Why not!)
FF: Milera Lee Curren
R: Hickey Hayes Armitage
INT: Jones Newens Ross
SUB: Webster

EMG: Longer Murdoch Stanley

This is a work in progress.....

I think wright will be getting games this year

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:I like the idea as suggested by a few of Gilbert and or Gwilt going forward a bit.
Both of them have been tried forward at various times, with a distinct lack of success. I can't believe it's going to work this time either.

That said, if it doesn't happen then they'll both have a massive battle for a place in the side. We've got a lot of medium defenders competing for three or four spots. Gwilt especially might not play many if Delaney and Bruce stay fit and play well.

lloyd21
Club Player

Why not Billings well very simple his body is TAC ... ( who knows they might pick Sharenburg ) who has played SANFL

Big Difference.

Look at Newnes he is just getting his body now still 2 years away from the final body shape.
They won't play any of draft picks before Saunders Markworth Murdoch Wright Webster
Even Spencer White won't be ready to play a lot of games for a least 2015 gonna take time.

Guys like Ollie Wines are the exception because of his body shape everyone gonna have to be patient

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:I like the idea as suggested by a few of Gilbert and or Gwilt going forward a bit.
Both of them have been tried forward at various times, with a distinct lack of success. I can't believe it's going to work this time either.

That said, if it doesn't happen then they'll both have a massive battle for a place in the side. We've got a lot of medium defenders competing for three or four spots. Gwilt especially might not play many if Delaney and Bruce stay fit and play well.
Gwilt is close to not having a shorter-term or longer-term future at the Saints.

This is not a bad thing either as seemingly he has lost whatever he had coupled with his kicking become below average (was a strength).

It pains me to see Delaney in the side. FFS emoticon...he was a reserve for the Kangas who were an average side people!

footynut
Club Player

HB: Fisher, Bruce, Roberton
C: Curren, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Stanley, Riewoldt, Savage
F: Schneider, Lee, Longer

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Armitage
Int: Newnes, Wright, Ross
Sub: one of Gwilt, Ray, Webster, Markworth

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

bergholt wrote:

Yes and no I reckon Bergs.

Gwilt's 'failure' up forward was several years ago when he was struggling in general... long before his career was resurrected by SainterK. :D You may still be right, but I'd like to see the occasional venture forward. As for Gwilt down back, with Delaney and Bruce, he will now be able to revert to his third man up and rebounding from defence role that he performs so well... instead of having to try and get away with scragging some bloke who is clearly too big for him. He did his best, but I reckon it's unfair to judge him, because we had no one else, so he was the one who's natural game was sacrificed for the good of the team. He was the one who took the 'hit' for the team I reckon. :idea:

All that said, Sam is actually the one I'm keenest on to go forward. I'd argue that he hasn't really failed up forward... except in his conversion... could have almost given us a sniff in that GF replay... I remember Mickey Meltdown complaining about how Sam was getting so many shots on goal. But as I wrote above, his set shots are now very dependable (though will never be textbook style :lol: ), and I can't remember for sure, but since his field kicking improved noticeably last season, I'd reckon his shots on the run are also better now.

I'd like to see Sam on a wing, roaming forward or back as required, with a few stints in the middle. I reckon he's a very underrated player. Remember, when he came back, not only was he very good in general, but he surprised plenty of us (me included) at how well he went at CHB.

I'd also like to see Roberton given a run further up the ground at times also... it's all about versatility, multiple options and some unpredictability, right? :wink:

Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
jaxons
Club Player

B: Dempster Delaney Wright

HB: Geary Fisher Roberton

C: Montagna Hayes Gilbert

HF: Siposs Riewoldt Savage

F: Schneider Stanley Lee

Foll: Longer Armitage Steven

Int: Newnes White Markworth Curran

Emerg : Ross Webster Murdoch Bruce Hickey

* have chosen a squad of 27

* team may be too tall so maybe one tall out for another runner.

Depth: Jolly, Weller, Billings, 18 & 19, Gwilt, Milera, Wilkes, Jones, Pierce

List Cloggers: Ray, TDL, Dunnell,

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:B: Dempster Delaney Wright

Hi jaxons, that's an interesting team, and gets me wondering about a few things...

Is this what you think should be, or what you think will be, or a combination?
Spenc-arrrrh is ready to go??? :shock: That would be fantastic! :D
Siposs in - does that mean he's over his 'annus horribilus' (or whatever HRH said)? :D
Markworth and Longer ready to go? Great. 8-)
Bruce not quite ready to go?
Are you confirming that we will pick up Billings, Weller and Jolly? For mine, yes(!) :D :D , yes :) and why(?) :? ... however that'd be two more delistings needed... who?
Ray and Dunnell not rated? :(
Pierce 'raised' to the level of being able to provide back-up support... he must be progressing well? :)
Where does our latest American friend sit currently? 8-)
Any chances of us doing a deal to liberate Jon Patton next trade period? 8-)

Ta. :)

jaxons
Club Player

Dave McNamara wrote:
jaxons wrote:B: Dempster Delaney Wright

Hi jaxons, that's an interesting team, and gets me wondering about a few things...

Is this what you think should be, or what you think will be, or a combination?
Spenc-arrrrh is ready to go??? :shock: That would be fantastic! :D
Siposs in - does that mean he's over his 'annus horribilus' (or whatever HRH said)? :D
Markworth and Longer ready to go? Great. 8-)
Bruce not quite ready to go?
Are you confirming that we will pick up Billings, Weller and Jolly? For mine, yes(!) :D :D , yes :) and why(?) :? ... however that'd be two more delistings needed... who?
Ray and Dunnell not rated? :(
Pierce 'raised' to the level of being able to provide back-up support... he must be progressing well? :)
Where does our latest American friend sit currently? 8-)
Any chances of us doing a deal to liberate Jon Patton next trade period? 8-)

Ta. :)

Hi Dave
This is just my thoughts.
However to answer your questions.
Spencer White will be ready to go and must be given some games.
Siposs was crucified by SW and will be ready to go.
Markworth and Longer are in full training why would they not be ready to go?
Bruce is ready to go but can't squeeze him in the full strength line up today.
We will have injuries for sure so there will be chances.
Yes on the 3 to be picked up, but not 100%.....just speculating!
Ray I don't rate at all.
Anyone is free to disagree with me.
When in doubt please watch the entire first half of the Fremantle game from subiaco this year.
Just watch Farren's first half in full....you will see what I mean!
Pierce is not a list clogger so I put him there!

martymcfly_86
Club Player

If we have a most likely future gun 6"6 CHB on our list (Bruce), we have to get games into him!!!

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Faz has value and can play some great footy ... BUT... his age and the fact we have a new coach could find him in trouble again .. in 2011 when Watters came in Faz found himself on the outer .. in 2012 he got back in as Siposs found himself on the outer ... new coach will prob see a player or players find themselves in the outer for me i think they may well be guys like Maister, Ray , Jones, Shnides or Fisher .. these guys are on the older scale with younger pups eyeing their spots i think a new coach will be more inclined to play the younger fellas

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

martymcfly_86 wrote:If we have a most likely future gun 6"6 CHB on our list (Bruce), we have to get games into him!!!
Yes!!
I wouldn't be leaving out Bruce - I think we need his height and size in the backline.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Quick comments:

I think Ray 'could' be a good player but his decision making is just appalling and drives me nuts.
I think getting Jolly would be lunacy now we have Longer.
TDL truly is a list clogger. Much rather try someone else out .
Jury is well and truly out on whether Siposs and Stanley can make it as fwds. I will need to be convinced.

Really interested to see how Markworth and Spencer go this year.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Might as well have a crack at this...

B: Dempster - Delaney - Wright
HB : Geary - Fisher - Roberton
C: Newnes - Curren - Gilbert
HF : Savage - Riewoldt - Murdoch
F : Stanley - Lee - Schneider
R : Hickey - Steven - Armitage
I : Hayes - Gwilt - Ross
S : Saunders

E : Webster - Longer - Bruce

No Montagna for Round 1 as he is suspended.

I can't include any of our draft picks when I don't know who they are.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think game time for Dempster and Gwilt might be seriously limited.
Given we no longer require Gwilty to play his mission impossible roles on the monsters I simply cannot see him keeping a young gun like Webster out. Webster has him for height, pace and kicking.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

B: Dempster Delaney Geary
HB: Fisher Bruce Roberton
C: Wright Hayes Gilbert
HF: Savage Reiwoldt Longer
F: Wright Lee Schneider
Foll: Hickey Steven Armitage
I: Webster Newnes Ross
S: Murdoch

I have a feeling that Stanley may well be behind both Longer and Hickey and as such might play a fair bit at Sandy.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I seem to have included Wright twice.
So Newnes can move to the Wing and Curran onto the Interchange.

martymcfly_86
Club Player

This would be my best 22, hope I didn't leave one of our guns out! Pretty obvious our Saints are going to struggle until the midfield is completely regenerated with weapon players. There is intense competition between 2-3 year players and mid-large backs <6"2. Interestingly, my side has 12 players under 50 games, and I view that as a good thing!

B: Wright Delaney Dempster
HB: Newnes Bruce (need to accelerate his development) Fisher
C: Montagna Hayes Siposs (give him a good go this season)
HF: Saunders Riewoldt Armitage
F: Lee Stanley Schneider
Foll: Hickey Steven Curren
I: Geary Gilbert Markworth (I just want to see this kid play)
S: Pick 3
E - all to play plenty of games: Longer (might struggle to fit two rucks in side and Stanley deserves shot ahead of Longer) Roberton (overrated, see Webster) Webster (hard to fit Gilbert, Dempster, Fisher, Roberton, Gwilt and Simpkin in same side) Gwilt (see Webster), Simpkin (see Webster), White (Stanley, Lee ahead of him), Murdoch (others ahead of The Bull).

"Whoa Doc, this is heavy." - Marty McFly following Ross Lyon's departure
darylcowie
Club Player

Great too see so much optimism and forward thinking from fellow sainters.

FWIW here is my take:

HB: Fisher, Bruce, Gwilt

C: Montagna, Hayes, Ray

HF: Roberton, Riewoldt, Gilbert

F: Milera, Lee, Schneider

R: Stanley, Armitage, Steven

I: Hickey, Ross, Newnes, Savage

E: Longer, Webster, Curren

We have an excess of half-back flankers from Lyon's days, so I decided to move Roberton and Gilbert forward, because both are clearly in our best 18.

I selected Stanley to ruck, because he is more experienced than Hickey or Longer and can rest forward when they come on to cover for him.

It was a line ball between Lee and Wilkes (nee Maister) for full forward, but the former has more upside going forward (bad pun!).

I haven't selected any first or second year players (next year), because I think you have to earn your spot and none of Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Curren (Jones replacement) or Pierce are certain starters IMHO, but the first four are certainly knocking on the door

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
darylcowie
Club Player

oops, I forgot Montagna is out suspended in Round 1.

So Savage is in for him and Curren moves onto the bench as our new tagger to replace Jones.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Hi Dave
This is just my thoughts.
However to answer your questions.
Spencer White will be ready to go and must be given some games.
Siposs was crucified by SW and will be ready to go.
Markworth and Longer are in full training why would they not be ready to go?
Bruce is ready to go but can't squeeze him in the full strength line up today.
We will have injuries for sure so there will be chances.
Yes on the 3 to be picked up, but not 100%.....just speculating!
Ray I don't rate at all.
Anyone is free to disagree with me.
When in doubt please watch the entire first half of the Fremantle game from subiaco this year.
Just watch Farren's first half in full....you will see what I mean!
Pierce is not a list clogger so I put him there!
Thanks for that jaxons. :)

To clarify, my definition of 'ready to go' is ready to be given a run in the seniors - without too great a risk of them embarrassing themselves or getting smashed.

What about Holmes? Where's he at?
Patton? Would we have a go at getting him? (I noticed that Eastern is opposed, but he's merely selfishly trying keep Jon available for Vermont. :P )
Considering you rate Pierce's progress, we also have Hickey, Longer, Stanley... at a pinch Lee, Maister, Bruce, Delaney, Gilbert... why do you feel we also need Jolly?
Tezza not a list-clogger? Whilst clearly a cut above VFL level, to me he is just too slight to ever be able to use his skills at AFL level. That said, the pics I've seen this year suggest he has beefed up...?

Farren? I see what you mean. Everything about him is close to elite... till you see where his kicks end up. :( However, I did think there was a noticeable improvement later in the season.
And Sam Gilbert... clearly will never be classical...but since coming back his kicks have pretty much all been going where they should. :shock:
Same goes for Flint. :roll:
I also thought that Gwilt's trusty left boot was returning to his norm by late in the season.

Are my 'kicking observations' shared down at the club?

Back to Weller and (gulp) Jolly... who would we be delisting for them?
And with the departure of our 'youth worker and wayward boys rehabilitation officer', does that mean that Garlett is now off the radar? I'd still take him at 18/19... especially if Hartung (way too small) is being considered.

Finally... heard any word of an eventual/long term plan to have us back playing games where we belong... in front of the Animal Enclosure once again? :twisted: I do know that our very own Dragstar and P66 are very keen on the idea. (They just don't realise that yet. :wink: )

I would forgive our current powers-that-be all their 'press conferences' and their behind the scenes 'House of Cards' stuff, if they could get that ball rolling... hell, I'd forgive them almost anything... hell, I'd even buy some AVJ shares (still be good for shorting I reckon). :wink:

Ta again. :)