Trade Period Success

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Period Success

jaxons wrote:
joffaboy wrote:This cant be right.

I have been told over and over that there is no strategy, and we are in disarray.

I have been told than no out of contract player would chose the Saints as preferred club over the likes of Essendon etc.

I have been told that other clubs are laughing at our trading this year.

I have been told that supporters of other clubs like Hawthorn and North are laughing their heads off and that we are a rabble.

I have been told that the club is in deep s.hit and that there was no need fora review.

I have been called an apologist, because I didn't believe the rumours about mass exodus of players, Roo leaving, Joey leaving, Watters being sacked ect ect.

Now people are telling me we have gone OK?

Surely not??????????

Surely the sad sack kool aid drinkers were correct, its the end of the Saints?

Surely?????

No-one is laughing at our trading Joffaboy.
Melbourne on the other hand was met with some raised eyebrows over the Tyson deal!
Well some might, and some might post it here, but they would be either fools or ignorant trolls I suppose

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Pelchens done very well so far. Lets see how we go with our first 3, if we somehow snare 2 stars out of that we have laid a pretty good platform. If we get it right, I suspect we are 12 months ahead of the popular consensus. Think we've got some nice one's already, just need some genuine stars to throw in there now.
Next year we will face another year of doomsday prophets, then the turn around to come, with the doomsday prophets then writing articles of praise...the usual cycle in afl journalism

Bring back the Lockett era
Schillaci
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:well the naysayers will have plenty to say next year when we are getting belted, they cant help themselves.

But this trade period has been as good as we could get so far.

We will have a period of pain next season, but 2014 trading and drafting will be ours once again, and will build on the current one.

I am also really looking forward to Markworth next season, a virtual new recruit, and also the likes of Murdoch, Webster, Curran, Wright, Saunders and Newnes flourishing.

We will have a young team, but one well on the way to transition.

FQF - GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

joffaboy wrote: I am also really looking forward to Markworth next season, a virtual new recruit
I actually said that exact same thing yesterday, word for word.

Good to see the majority CAN see the forest for the trees......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The go home factor must be massive for Aish, as I'm in shock that we would let him get past pick three.

Thanks for your updates Jaxons, it has been fantastic getting your insight! I for one am rating our trade period 9/10 if all works out as convincingly well as you suggest. Who would've thought that we'd all be over the top happy after losing Mac and Dal. Well played saints

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:You have to see that we have started a very strategic process to get the Saints back up the ladder again, and if you look at the trade period it has to be viewed as a success.
We have added a ruckman in Longer who with Hickey will be our ruckman for the next 10 years.
We will add 2 key backman in Bruce and Delaney who will be around for the next 6-10 years, Bruce for 10, Delaney for at least 6.
We will add 4 midfielders to the list in Savage and picks 3, 18 and 19.
We have given up a slow one dimensional ruckman and a midfielder who will be 30 before 2014 starts.
Pretty sensational performance by all involved.

Key points I like out of this are Longer for 25 and Bruce for not much.

Also - the three mids in the draft. Will hopefully add some talent into the midfield group.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

But all in all - we need to find players of the Judd, Selwood, Pendlebury calibre. And not Ray, Fiora, Tambling.

It's all a gamble. Can't predict the future - but the gap between them in quality is massive. It's just weird because before every draft they all look great, like the Tenaces and the ones above, no one ever says, this bloke likely to go at 3/4/whatever is s***!

Need a bit of luck in how they develop and injuries.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

can it just be done early in the week--- all trading is taking forever----.. :|

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Kelly reminds me of Tom Scully
Child prodigy and hard worker but will never be a big impact player in the AFL.
Billings looks to have more potential to me.
Shara looks the goods also.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Aish is good but always be wary of the go gone factor and he has strong family ties in SA!
Out of the SA teams Port have the first pick at selection 14 so it's a given one non-SA club takes the risk on Aish. The Pies are strongly linked to him at pick 6. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

The available and best remaining midfielders around the 18-19 mark may also be SA lads - Dunstan and Dumont - who both are projected to go around that mark. I guess their names are not famous SA footy names like Aish tho.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Im with you on Aish. I have seen kelly play a fair few times and he is at the moment a genuine outside mid. Doesnt mean he is scared its just how he plays. Billings seems like a very good player but again isnt really a mid more a small forward. Hopefully it doesnt matter who we get out of those players. We just need that player to be a very good player in 3 or 4 years time when we should be heading up the ladder again.
I like Kelly, don't get me wrong. He's a high production midfielder who will accumulate plenty of the ball with his running power. His skills are also very good, but as you say, he's a genuine outside-recieving midfielder. I guess if we pick him we'll target an inside mid with selections 18-19.

I really like Aish. He won't get as much of the ball as Kelly but he'll make every disposal count. But Aish is also an outside-reciever, so again, we'd need to target an inside mid with the later selections.

I'm with you on Billings, I really like his game. I think he has the ability to transition into the midfield however his best work is done forward of centre. I'd like to think he starts out like Dangerfield, O'Keefe and Stevie J in the forward line and makes that transition to midfielder when he builds up the tank. Callum Twoney says Billings is the best player in the draft.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Top work jaxons, appreciate your insight mate. Who do you see us targeting in the draft with those three picks mentioned?
Either Kelly or Billings will be a Saint guaranteed.
Let's not speculate on the rest as depends on other clubs but we are confident we will have 2 very good players.
No offence Jaxons, but I would be pretty disappointed if our recruiters were sharing our draft targets with whoever you are… secondly that you would come onto a public forum and spread them.

You are either making this up or being absolutely negligent of sensitive information.

falka
Club Player

It's obvious.

We have pick 3

Boyd is 1

So by saying Kelly or Billings is just commenting that whoever is left at 3 will
Be ours.

Sharenberg will not be an afl mid
billings will be

go saints

Ps. I'll believe it when I see it, but if we get deals done that are mooted, I'll be stoked.

So what is latest on pick 19?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Top work jaxons, appreciate your insight mate. Who do you see us targeting in the draft with those three picks mentioned?
Let's not speculate on the rest as depends on other clubs but we are confident we will have 2 very good players.
No offence Jaxons, but I would be pretty disappointed if our recruiters were sharing our draft targets with whoever you are… secondly that you would come onto a public forum and spread them.

You are either making this up or being absolutely negligent of sensitive information.
Usually the top few pick themselves. I would think w know exactly who GWS are taking with the first two picks. I noticed jaxons didn't comment about our later selections as they would be more of interest to other clubs .

jaxons
Club Player

dragit wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Have shared nothing with you.
Boyd is 1 and one of the other 2 are pick 2.
Have told you nothing else and I know who we are targeting with 18 & 19.
Maybe I have also put a smokescreen up with our pick 3....who knows!

Freebird
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:well the naysayers will have plenty to say next year when we are getting belted, they cant help themselves.

But this trade period has been as good as we could get so far.

We will have a period of pain next season, but 2014 trading and drafting will be ours once again, and will build on the current one.

I am also really looking forward to Markworth next season, a virtual new recruit, and also the likes of Murdoch, Webster, Curran, Wright, Saunders and Newnes flourishing.

We will have a young team, but one well on the way to transition.

FQF - GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!

you are the resident fool jb

No one critisized the draft last yr except for Hickey and TDL....IMO they will have to improve a lot to be long term and Hickey cost us an A pick.

The players you have nominated to be looking forward to flourish are fine...

But the previous serveral years was a disgrace and if you cannot see that then you're dumbshtt...the crtics of these years trades/drafting you call naysayers

Do you still think taking Howard at pick 27 was not dumb??

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Have shared nothing with you.
Boyd is 1 and one of the other 2 are pick 2.
Have told you nothing else and I know who we are targeting with 18 & 19.
Maybe I have also put a smokescreen up with our pick 3....who knows!
Do you know if we still have any intent to give Jolly a lifeline? Perhaps as a rookie for back-up and mentoring the young guys?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fair to say the top 4 is common knowledge and fairly well publicised.

boyd kelly aish shara and billings

Noone knows the order but it seems the consensus.
Might be a bolter but these days it seems the top 3 picks are well known in advance.
Fair chance gws will go for boyd and shara imo.

That leaves us to make the big decision of the three small mids.
Talk about pressure decision for Tony.
According to jaxons who clearly is in the know we have already narrowed it down to two ( and put a line through aish based on the gh factor ).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 20 Oct 2013 5:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Fair to say the top 4 is common knowledge and fairly well publicised.

boyd aish shara and billings

Might be a bolter but these days it seems the top 3 picks are well known in advance.

Fair to say you may have missed the second pick. Where is Kelly?

saint6709
Club Player

jaxons wrote:You have to see that we have started a very strategic process to get the Saints back up the ladder again, and if you look at the trade period it has to be viewed as a success.
We have added a ruckman in Longer who with Hickey will be our ruckman for the next 10 years.
We will add 2 key backman in Bruce and Delaney who will be around for the next 6-10 years, Bruce for 10, Delaney for at least 6.
We have given up a slow one dimensional ruckman and a midfielder who will be 30 before 2014 starts.
I will be very happy when this is officially announced

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Fair to say the top 4 is common knowledge and fairly well publicised.

boyd kelly aish shara and billings

Might be a bolter but these days it seems the top five picks are well known in advance.

Fair to say you may have missed the second pick. Where is Kelly?
Bloody hell plugger
Yes it was a brief ommission which i rectified in about two seconds but not before you had already pounced.
Your tagging ability is second to none.
You really are the Ryan Crowley of the internet.
You sit wait and then pounce on anything to bag someone

sasaint
Club Player

My fingers crossed that your optimism is well placed. If all goes as you say I will be stoked and congratulations to the whole team who have worked on it. Great job. :D

Agree with you on the Aish go home risk. I wonder if Scharenberg has the same issue?? he'll be a great midfielder someday. :wink:

Patience young grasshopper
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Terrific work Jaxons .
Im thrilled with 3 inside 20 picks.

Im very happy about Savage. I think he will be very good for us.

Im happy with Longer for 25 but I remain confused about Stanley's role.
He should play permanent FP this season but i have serious doubts he will ever make it as a fwd.

As much as I love your bullishness I will be happy if 1 out of Bruce and Delaney works out well.
It would be remarkable if they both did.

The real action is the draft . If we get 2 from 3 right we have done very well.
all that information...picks etc...were on line yesterday...on line and alsp in this mornings hun...ralph....i published the same data...taken from ralp's on line article yesterday afternoon in the longer thread....

why is everyone saying its a scoop by jaxons...it simply isn't...although he was the first to state we would get longer...credit where credit is due....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bloody hell plugger...

Your tagging ability is second to none.
You really are the Ryan Crowley of the internet.
You sit wait and then pounce on anything to bag someone
and he sits back and has a little chuckle afterwards...a bit like Muttley the snivelling hound :D :D

falka
Club Player

sasaint wrote:
My fingers crossed that your optimism is well placed. If all goes as you say I will be stoked and congratulations to the whole team who have worked on it. Great job. :D

Agree with you on the Aish go home risk. I wonder if Scharenberg has the same issue?? he'll be a great midfielder someday. :wink:
The limited vision of shazza I have seen, I don't see translating into mid. Reckon he will be a great sweeper who kicks brilliantly and can push forward. Just doesn't seem to have that midfielder explosiveness. But what would I know

Has he played much mid at senior level? Interesting to know.

Reckon Billings will translate to midfield also.
Got 32 in last TAC match