Dear Caro

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Dear Caro

The OtherThommo wrote: As far as Caro goes, I'm not sure the King story is her long suit. Potentially this has more to do with higher level criminality, not football per se, or individual instances of dubious behaviour by footballers. This is more in the yard of B & M. It's about connections outside of the football tent, with football just being 1 part of a much bigger market.

as i said it will be interesting to see how this pans out, given that AD has advised clubs to be wary of these types of links and the possibility for players to get entrapped. He also made petitions to the govt. to improve inter-department information sharing (private information nightmare)
still the point remains the media didnt sweet this under the carpet just because its a big club.

Seeya
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I respect Caro. We do have a culture problem. Clear as day to see that

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

seriously does anyone really care what she says or the other scribes for that matter? Become a journo and you can say what you like about any club and you get paid for it otherwise have a chuckle and or ignore.

They can say what they like doesn't mean it's so.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I respect Caro. We do have a culture problem. Clear as day to see that
We have supporter problems.

bergsone
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:
bergsone wrote:What did that school girl have ? boy/girl twins cant remember reading that :roll:
people bring this up as some sort of "proof" the whole thing didnt happen. You have evidence she wasnt pregnant?
But regardless it is just a digression from the fact that that if she dares to write anything about the saints, the superlatives written above come spewing out. If she writes about essendon she tranforms into a brilliant journalist. Its a tough gig.

Boy or girl,only asking the question,sounds like you know the answer then :?:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Of course we are not squeaky clean.

My point is that culture wise we are really no worse than most other clubs, but the culture myth is perpetuated by lazy journo's who want to make a quick headline. The same lazy journos who don't want to risk taking on the likes of Eddie Maguire. The same media frenzy of the first year or 2 when Grant Thomas was appointed. The number of crappy look-at-me journos who mocked St Kilda and just wanted to queue up to say "I told you so'. Did we ever get an apology over the St Kilda school girl debacle ? - what did that cost the club in commercial terms from lost sponsorship.

I have no problem with criticism when its fair and justified, but most of you would not have heard Caro on 5AA when she took the sword to St Kilda.. and I have no issue with the Clint Jones critiscm - but for her to say that this club has endemic culture issues an example of which she included was the St Kilda school girl affair to me is a purely dishonest and disrespectful slur on the club, aimed at putting and keeping our club down so that she can keep going to the well when she needs to. It was not intelligent and informed commentary.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Caro is explained by this simple truism:

Daddy must've wanted a boy.

Nee!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Of course we are not squeaky clean.

My point is that culture wise we are really no worse than most other clubs, but the culture myth is perpetuated by lazy journo's who want to make a quick headline. The same lazy journos who don't want to risk taking on the likes of Eddie Maguire. The same media frenzy of the first year or 2 when Grant Thomas was appointed. The number of crappy look-at-me journos who mocked St Kilda and just wanted to queue up to say "I told you so'. Did we ever get an apology over the St Kilda school girl debacle ? - what did that cost the club in commercial terms from lost sponsorship.

I have no problem with criticism when its fair and justified, but most of you would not have heard Caro on 5AA when she took the sword to St Kilda.. and I have no issue with the Clint Jones critiscm - but for her to say that this club has endemic culture issues an example of which she included was the St Kilda school girl affair to me is a purely dishonest and disrespectful slur on the club, aimed at putting and keeping our club down so that she can keep going to the well when she needs to. It was not intelligent and informed commentary.
Pretty much sum up my sentiments on this issue.
Have a look at Collingwood's 'list' over the same period of time (that we actually know about).
Only now that Buckley raise the issue of their own 'Club Culture' do we hear that term associated with them.
I don't believe I've ever heard Caro (or any other journalist) talk about their 'bad culture' and yet their list of transgressions make us almost look 'angelic' by comparison.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the school girl issue is a beat up......as russell holmesby states in his weekly article on page 2 of inside footy....under the heading.." mad media beat ups fan flames when hard facts are needed......"roll out the st kilda schoolgirl yarn...in truth a random nutbag whose story was subsequently discredited........... "

<edited by mods>

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
twirlyhair
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Who cares what that mole thinks anyway?

Absolute class :roll:

Wilson has been lauded on here for her tireless work on the Essendon drug scandal. Some have mentioned Walkley's etc.

But she happens to shine a light on the Saints and she suddenly has no credibility. :roll:

Fair dinkum some of you have extremely thin skins.

lets have a look at the clean image of the Saints since 2003

Lawrence

Milne/Montagna allegations

Fraser Gehrig - too pissed for Bankok

Thomas/ Butters tearing the club apart

Pregnant School Scandal

Nude Photo's of players

Players on booze and drugs in NZ

Lovett - Rape trial

Milne charged with rape

Saad takes banned substance

Dwarf set on fire.

Yes we are as clean as they come.
Spot on. And until we as a club really understand this, we wil always be just an average club.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

bergsone wrote:What did that school girl have ? boy/girl twins cant remember reading that :roll:
Ask Susie O'Brien to repeat the ob story how one twin was "lost" during the pregnancy and the struggle to keep the other one.

Did any apology come from Ms O'Brien? I don't think so.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

ozrulestrace wrote:
Ask Susie O'Brien to repeat the ob story how one twin was "lost" during the pregnancy and the struggle to keep the other one.

Did any apology come from Ms O'Brien? I don't think so.
Did she get sacked for being incompetent, NO , it's a prerequisite for being a journalist

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Twirlyhair, that's just complete crap. Collingwood have had far more issues than St Kilda, as have West Coast yet they don't cop the same criticism. Carlton were shocking during the 70s and 80s, with links to criminals, pay offs to keep women quiet over serious incidents, not to mention Jim Buckley and the damage that he did. Oh, and what about Fevola's unchecked behaviour during the 2000s, as well as Heath Scotland's many misdemeanours.

Collingwood? let's look at them

Brodie Holland - public masturbation
Heath Shaw - drink driving, smashing cars
Alan Didak - links with bikes/criminals/murderers
Ben Johnson - substance abuse/ dodgy friends
Dane Swan - boozer/ substance abuse
Dayne Beams - rape allegations
John McCarthy - rape allegations
Sharrod Wellingham (see johnson and Swan)

So why don't they have the same label as St Kilda?

And of course, as mentioned by some posters, there's Richmond. Jake King, Dustin Martin, Daniel Connors, Ben Cousins

Caro just needed another scandal after the Essendon thing, so the idiot Clinton Jones did her a favour. At least he doesn't hang around bikies and snort copious amounts of cocaine like some of the Hawthorn boys.

If you're swallowing this crap from journos, then what can I say? Seriously, all this kind of crap goes on at all clubs to varying degrees, and always has. To believe otherwise is either naive or just plain stupid.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and by the way, some of the most successful clubs have won premierships while their players have been getting up to all sorts. North Melbourne did very well in the 90s, didn't they?

North Melbourne, Richmond, Collingwood, West Coast, Essendon - all those clubs have had players with strong links to underworld figures.

If you think we have a culture issue compared to other clubs then you must also believe in Santa Clause. Of course, if Santa Claus played for St Kilda, he'd be Satan Claus according to the media.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:

Spot on. And until we as a club really understand this, we wil always be just an average club.
Correct - we have supporter denial

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

And cwrcycn - all you have done is highlight stkilda match the filth and carlscum with indiscretions
Only difference
-they have won premierships

Seeya
twirlyhair
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Twirlyhair, that's just complete crap. Collingwood have had far more issues than St Kilda, as have West Coast yet they don't cop the same criticism. Carlton were shocking during the 70s and 80s, with links to criminals, pay offs to keep women quiet over serious incidents, not to mention Jim Buckley and the damage that he did. Oh, and what about Fevola's unchecked behaviour during the 2000s, as well as Heath Scotland's many misdemeanours.

And of course, as mentioned by some posters, there's Richmond. Jake King, Dustin Martin, Daniel Connors, Ben Cousins

Winning premierships and getting into the finally goes a long way to excusing you in the public eye. We got no brownie points to act like c@&$k heads....we finish third last and one of our senior players hires dwarfs....come on buddy. Time o get real.

Caro just needed another scandal after the Essendon thing, so the idiot Clinton Jones did her a favour. At least he doesn't hang around bikies and snort copious amounts of cocaine like some of the Hawthorn boys.

If you're swallowing this crap from journos, then what can I say? Seriously, all this kind of crap goes on at all clubs to varying degrees, and always has. To believe otherwise is either naive or just plain stupid.

twirlyhair
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Twirlyhair, that's just complete crap. Collingwood have had far more issues than St Kilda, as have West Coast yet they don't cop the same criticism. Carlton were shocking during the 70s and 80s, with links to criminals, pay offs to keep women quiet over serious incidents, not to mention Jim Buckley and the damage that he did. Oh, and what about Fevola's unchecked behaviour during the 2000s, as well as Heath Scotland's many misdemeanours.

Winning premierships and getting into the finally goes a long way to excusing you in the public eye. We got no brownie points to act like c@&$k heads....we finish third last and one of our senior players hires dwarfs....come on buddy. Time o get real.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Geez some of you have very short memories. There were far worse (and far fetched) reports on the Duthie thing than anything Caro wrote. Remember Anthony Dowsley from the Herald Sun? I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't cutting Ricky Nixon's lunch there for a while. Well, he's vanished off the face of the planet. Where did he go? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Dear Caro

thanks for 'exposing' St Kilda's apparent culture issues. I also heard you on Adelaide radio recently discuss the same thing, and bringing up Ahmed Saads once off sports drink mistake, and the St Kilda school girl incident as examples of the culture issue. Long bows indeed.

I look forward to reading your follow up article on how this compares to other clubs - perhaps starting with Richmond.

Lets compare Ahmed Saad to say Justin Charles - the first player found guilty of systematically procuring and taking steroids. Ok so it was 1997 - too far in the past ? .. well lets try Dustin Martin and Daniel Conners on their booze and sleeping pills bender, straight after the Olympics scandal. Pity that Daniel wasn't quite as good as Dustin, because he might still be on the list trying to negotiate a huge contract. Seems to me Caro that we have the basis of an unchecked booze and drugs culture at Richmond. But that was a couple of years ago. Do we really want to bring that up again ? .. well doesn't stop you bringing up the St Kilda schoolgirl story as an example of St Kilda's culture problems - which as we all know was a huge fabrication and I cant recall you ever apologising to Nick Reiwoldt for.

Now its revealed that Jake King brings a bikie leader into the dressing rooms. So lets review that. The leader of an organisation known to manufacture and distribute illegal substances is invited into a dressing room full of cashed up young men with high stress levels and limited ways they can relax. A recruiting ground that drug lords must dream about. Really Caro - why not smash Richmond for their continual failure to properly manage this drug and booze culture at Richmond?. Clint Jones made a very stupid mistake whilst no doubt under the influence of alcohol .. but whats Jake Kings excuse ? .. I assume he was sober when he was in the dressing room. Pity we cant say the same thing for the bikie leader- who knows what influences he may have been under, or which Richmond players are now indeed under the bikie leaders disturbing influence.

It must be hard for you. Growing up as a little girl, Richmond were a powerhouse at the top of the ladder whilst St Kilda was the rabble at the other end. But for the last 20 years its been roles reversed. Weve played finals and lots of them. But for a bit of luck we could have had 3 or more premierships in that time. Your beloved Richmond have barely played 3 finals games in the same period. So overawed by the novelty of playing finals this year that they choked - again.

So maybe our culture isn't as bad when you start to compare other clubs. If you were a male, I would tell you to 'man up' , and keep your biases out of your stories and draw conclusions from meaningful facts , not half truths nor your inner most desires to be proven right. You were once a good columnist. Like an ageing footballer near the end of their career who resorts to throwing punches out of frustration, you now start grasping onto what you think will make headlines, rather than providing some intelligent commentary.

Take a good look in the mirror and work out if you care about how you want to be remembered.
+1000000000

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:
twirlyhair wrote:

Correct - we have supporter denial
So can we assume you think there is nothing wrong with Caro saying on radio that the St Kilda school girl affair is an example of why our culture is all wrong ?

In case you missed it, that story which Caro helped fuel, was a complete lie.

I know where I draw my line in the sand , and obviously you and I are not in the same sandpit.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Who cares what that mole thinks anyway?

Absolute class :roll:

Wilson has been lauded on here for her tireless work on the Essendon drug scandal. Some have mentioned Walkley's etc.

But she happens to shine a light on the Saints and she suddenly has no credibility. :roll:

Fair dinkum some of you have extremely thin skins.

lets have a look at the clean image of the Saints since 2003

Lawrence

Milne/Montagna allegations

Fraser Gehrig - too pissed for Bankok

Thomas/ Butters tearing the club apart

Pregnant School Scandal

Nude Photo's of players

Players on booze and drugs in NZ

Lovett - Rape trial

Milne charged with rape

Saad takes banned substance

Dwarf set on fire.

Yes we are as clean as they come.
I agree with JB...don't say that often.

You forgot calling some chick fat at the airport, the footy show skit, jacks DUI..

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:the school girl issue is a beat up......as russell holmesby states in his weekly article on page 2 of inside footy....under the heading.." mad media beat ups fan flames when hard facts are needed......"roll out the st kilda schoolgirl yarn...in truth a random nutbag whose story was subsequently discredited........... "

...caro just needs <edited by mods> ..... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
What an average post :roll:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SainterK wrote:
stinger wrote:the school girl issue is a beat up......as russell holmesby states in his weekly article on page 2 of inside footy....under the heading.." mad media beat ups fan flames when hard facts are needed......"roll out the st kilda schoolgirl yarn...in truth a random nutbag whose story was subsequently discredited........... "

<edited by mods>:
What an average post :roll:
I despise stinger, but in this case I must agree with him.
Caro needs some release, either going on a bender, or the sport stinger refers to.
Sour old grandma. If she were born during the Middle Ages, the villagers would have chased her with pitchforks and flaming torches.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

New article in The Age from the witch,
Sam Fisher and Armo had allegedly planned a trip to the USA with Dustin Martin, Watters apparently persuaded them to cancel, in case they did sumthin naughty over there. But to her credit, she gave plenty of column inches to King and the bikie, and Martin's $2k fine for the salute (handcuffs).

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee