Port Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Port Power

WellardSaint wrote:
FQF wrote:It's their fitness which has really given them the edge to compete with the best for 4 quarters.

You get that right and you can close the gap rapidly.
Apparently their conditioning guy worked for Liverpool in the EPL ! How much $ thrown around in that comp, suggests that he would be ELITE.
Fit players get to more contests; second efforts are better, skills better, etc.
We should target former EPL fitness guys if we can find any, ASAP.
Heard Hinkley interviewed earlier in the season. He identified fitness as the biggest thing to start work on. He said he slaughtered them. But look where they are now.
who is our fitness guy?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:
FQF wrote:It's their fitness which has really given them the edge to compete with the best for 4 quarters.

You get that right and you can close the gap rapidly.
Apparently their conditioning guy worked for Liverpool in the EPL ! How much $ thrown around in that comp, suggests that he would be ELITE.
Fit players get to more contests; second efforts are better, skills better, etc.
We should target former EPL fitness guys if we can find any, ASAP.
Heard Hinkley interviewed earlier in the season. He identified fitness as the biggest thing to start work on. He said he slaughtered them. But look where they are now.
who is our fitness guy?

I think they misspelt the name of the role and we got a shitness guy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Yeah that's all well and good but they don't have a dwarf burner.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Wished we had of selected Ken Hinkley over Watters you could see the passion the Port players had for him after the game - similar to Lyon. Watters has never engendered anything like that in his time with the Saints...

wasn't there an issue with hinkley having worked at the saints previously and NOt wishing to go back there-
Did he apply ?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
noob
Club Player

Becoming my 2nd favourite team.. A lot of likable characters.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Well I was lucky enough to be at the game. The feral filth were going off. Even a bit of noise in the members!

They were as hopeless as us. Loved the turnover footy in a final.

Just wish I had a Port scarf.

Wines and Windgard are freaks size and skill wise for kids to see live. Amazing to watch.
So was I in the filth reserved area. God they were going crazy. Thumbs up port fans really supported all night.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SuperDuper
Club Player

Melbourne really can't take a trick getting... Toumpass slid to them so they passed on wines who they were lining up the whole time.

I guess we gotta give the kid some time but sheesh... They had wines in the grasp

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 2tmzx.html

Rendell suggested I have a look at the number of players on Port Adelaide’s list who were first-round draft picks. To be a first-round selection doesn’t guarantee success, but it does mean there is talent, and if that is matched by hard work and good coaching, then the chances of success are high.

Playing on Friday night for Port are these first-round picks. They are well worth watching.

TRAVIS BOAK
The first-year captain earned enormous respect late last year when he said ‘‘no’’ to Geelong. Boak felt an obligation to the club that drafted him seven years ago as an 18-year-old. He has led by example on and off the field and is now rated one of the game’s elite midfielders.

ANGUS MONFRIES
The half-forward made his debut for Essendon in 2005 and gave it 150 games and 165 goals. Monfries came home to Adelaide this year to add experience and goalkicking power to a young group. He has done that, averaging close to two goals a game.

BRAD EBERT
A famous Port Adelaide name, Ebert was drafted by West Coast six years ago. After four years he came home and was runner-up in the 2012 best and fairest. He has followed up with another fine season in the midfield. Has not missed a game in his two years at Port, and has established himself as one of the team’s leaders.

HAMISH HARTLETT
Taken at No.4 in the 2008 draft, injuries and suspension have restricted Hartlett’s games output. But he is good – very good. The strong midfielder has speed to burn, is a thumping long kick and has a touch of mongrel in him. He is fast becoming one of the best midfielders in the AFL.

OLLIE WINES
This teenager from Echuca has been most impressive in his first year. Hinkley had enough confidence to select him in round one and he hasn’t missed a game. Wines has earned the respect of his teammates and the football world in a very short time with his courageous, no-nonsense attack on the ball. Strong-bodied and smart around the goals, he will develop quickly into a class midfielder.

CHAD WINGARD
Wow! This 20-year-old, who is in just his second season at Port, is amazing. Quick, smart, left-sided. Wingard is special. He has a big bag of tricks, reads the play to perfection, is balanced, cool and can play back, mid or forward. He is set to become one of the superstars of the AFL.

MATTHEW LOBBE
Like a lot of young ruckmen, it has been a slow progression for the 24-year-old. Lobbe has played just 42 games in his first four seasons but, importantly, 20 of them have been this season. Having to single-handedly carry the ruck position has been tough, but vital for his confidence and development. Mentored by premiership ruckman Shaun Rehn, he will make it hard for the Cats on Friday night.

JAY SCHULZ
Schulz has had a roller-coaster ride in his 11-year AFL career. He arrived at Richmond as a teenager, and in seven seasons played just 70 games. It wasn’t easy playing second fiddle to Matthew Richardson, as little ball was directed Schulz’s way. Now, in his fourth season at Port, he has chalked up 70 games and kicked 153 goals. In three of those seasons, he has been Port’s leading goalkicker. A strong one-grab mark and accurate kick, his return home to Adelaide has seen his career blossom.

JASPER PITTARD
The wiry 22 year-old is fast becoming a crucial part of Hinkley’s plans. An excellent overhead mark, Pittard has been encouraged to attack the ball, take intercept marks and back his dash to run hard into attack.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Wished we had of selected Ken Hinkley over Watters you could see the passion the Port players had for him after the game - similar to Lyon. Watters has never engendered anything like that in his time with the Saints...
lets be fair we are in year 2 of a rebuild port are in year 5 of theirs ... honestly i dont think there is a "bad" coach in the AFL its more to do with their ability to work with the players they have ... Hinkley has come in at the pointy bit of the rebuild where Scotty has come in at the start switch the roles and put Scott in charge of Port and Ken in charge of us and i doubt you would see much differances in the way both teams have gone this year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
lets be fair we are in year 2 of a rebuild port are in year 5 of theirs ... honestly i dont think there is a "bad" coach in the AFL its more to do with their ability to work with the players they have ... Hinkley has come in at the pointy bit of the rebuild where Scotty has come in at the start switch the roles and put Scott in charge of Port and Ken in charge of us and i doubt you would see much differances in the way both teams have gone this year
+ 1
(except Mark Neeld)

p.s
I also reckon whoever takes over at the Lions will look like a genius in 2 years as their young list starts to come on.
But Voss did bring it on himself going for shortcuts in year 1.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont think Neeld was a bad coach either .. its just he never had the players on his side ... the Dee's have an ingrained problem in the players minds from the whole tanking losing is winning mentaliity i doubt anyone (even Roo's) could have walked in under the same wave as Neeld did and fix the problems .. i still think Roo's is going to find the going very very tough

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont think Neeld was a bad coach either .. its just he never had the players on his side ... the Dee's have an ingrained problem in the players minds from the whole tanking losing is winning mentaliity i doubt anyone (even Roo's) could have walked in under the same wave as Neeld did and fix the problems .. i still think Roo's is going to find the going very very tough

More proof that Neeld wasn't a great coach either. Not that he admitted it, in hindsight he may have done things differently, but you don't get many opportunities in the coaching caper.

For a start, he doesn't sound like a great communicator and didn't understand that media/public relations and player relations are two different things.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bet everyone had us in front of Port in March?!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bet everyone had us in front of Port in March?!
And West Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, North Melbourne, Richmond, and probably others...
what's the point?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Bet everyone had us in front of Port in March?!
No I had us in the bottom 4 and them about 10th