Watters contract extension talk

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters contract extension talk

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I think it's a show of faith that he's on the right track. You encourage the rebuilding rather than the desperation he might feel to produce quick wins at the expense of development. It will probably take 5 years to rebuild and he might not see the fruits of his labour but he should at least be able to do his job unimpeded by the pressure of keeping his job. If he turns out to lose the players we pay him out like every other club does then the AFL can get us a new coach and board.

Isnt pelchan his boss? He isnt going to let SW change the way he coaches just to get more wins so he keeps his job.

I guess that's the point. He encourages the team he plays and gives him an extension because he's happy with what he's been doing.

I agree give him an extension if he is doing a good job during the middle or end of next season though. he doesnt need one now even though it seems he may get it. Just dont see the point myself.

PJ
SS Life Member

Given our development status, which won't have changed by mid next season, I don't see the point in leaving it. You've convinced me we need to sign him now.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Given our development status, which won't have changed by mid next season, I don't see the point in leaving it. You've convinced me we need to sign him now.

So you dont want to see if young kids develop next season? Everyone knows we are going to struggle next year but that doesnt mean there arent other things you can look at to see how he is going. Ok we do what you say and give him an extension. How long do we extend it by then?

PJ
SS Life Member

Enough time to see if the plan proposed by peaches can succeed. 2 years approx

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Watters has managed to keep us competitive while trying to develop our young players.
He hasn't been given an easy task.

RL had 12 wins in his last year with us - Watters had 12 wins in his first year with us, despite a couple of lost recruiting years.
Last edited by samoht on Sun 08 Sep 2013 10:54am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Always speaks well, but has not earned an extension, what has he achieved?
It's more likely an effort to put stability into the club, as opposed to a reward for the coach.

Also, the manner in which Watters coached for the long term at the expense of the short term should be encouraged by giving him more time.

Asking him to set up for the future, but only giving him 2 years is a but if a contradiction in my opinion.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
BigMart wrote:Always speaks well, but has not earned an extension, what has he achieved?
It's more likely an effort to put stability into the club, as opposed to a reward for the coach.

Also, the manner in which Watters coached for the long term at the expense of the short term should be encouraged by giving him more time.

Asking him to set up for the future, but only giving him 2 years is a but if a contradiction in my opinion.

We gave him 3 years and he is coaching for the long term because that would have been what he was told to do. we had no choice. You dont give them an extra term because he is doing the only logical thing any coach could do with that list.

defacto
Club Player

what was he meant to have achieved?

the list is absolutely shot. its going to take another 3 years to get it back to finals. scott could have the greatest game plan in the history of the game and we wouldnt know as this list is incapable of putting it together right now

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

We gave him 3 years and he is coaching for the long term because that would have been what he was told to do. we had no choice. You dont give them an extra term because he is doing the only logical thing any coach could do with that list.
No, but if you're asking someone to implement a long term plan, you can't give them a short timeframe to do it in.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Watters has managed to keep us competitive while trying to develop our young players.
He hasn't been given an easy task.

RL had 12 wins in his last year with us - Watters had 12 wins in his first year with us, despite a couple of lost recruiting years.

And he lost our full back that year as well. 12 wins with out a KPB.

supersaints
Club Player

Giving him a contract extension somewhat allows him to coach toward the future of the playing list, rather than trying to save his neck by winning games instead of blooding more players .
It really depends on the patience of the club and the supporters.
I think he and Pelch are well on the right track.
How good a game day coach he becomes is yet to be seen but it takes most about three years to implant their ideas, I do remember myself wondering if Ross Lyon was a good coach, when it took a good list almost two seasons to get his
The majority of us calling for his scalp during the first season.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

To hell with it! Get old Blighty back! :wink: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Giving him a contract extension somewhat allows him to coach toward the future of the playing list, rather than trying to save his neck by winning games instead of blooding more players .
It really depends on the patience of the club and the supporters.
I think he and Pelch are well on the right track.
How good a game day coach he becomes is yet to be seen but it takes most about three years to implant their ideas, I do remember myself wondering if Ross Lyon was a good coach, when it took a good list almost two seasons to get his
The majority of us calling for his scalp during the first season.
+1

Legendary
Club Player

Giving him an extension until the end of 2015 demonstrates that his plan to continue to develop the kids and build something sustainable is supported by the entire club.

Leave him hanging next year and he will start coaching for his contract exactly like Sheedy did at the Bombers in the 2000's. Which means we will improve and results will improve, but probably by playing the older guys or bringing in some mature age recruits. But it's not sustainable long-term.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

One interesting thing he said, was that the total games missed through injury last year was 85.

This year it was upwards if 180, and mostly trauma injuries like knees, jaws, shoulders etc

I guess we cut him some slack over that?

Will know more seasons end next year, he talks a good game, now he needs to back it up.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I would extend his contract. We are in rebuild mode, to see another coach going out the door because of (perceived) botched contract negotiations would hardly help in the quest for the flag.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I would only entertain an extension after the trade and draft period to see what we have been able to gather player wise.
Only query with the extension is what we are doing with the assistants. Are they changing? If so he needs an extension, because no-one will come if the senior coach only has 1 year left.

Kickit
Club Player

maverick wrote:I would only entertain an extension after the trade and draft period to see what we have been able to gather player wise.
Only query with the extension is what we are doing with the assistants. Are they changing? If so he needs an extension, because no-one will come if the senior coach only has 1 year left.
Are you assuming that Watters is the draft and trading guy?

I would assume Watters role would be:
Provide list for consideration: ie tall defender, inside mid etc
OK or NOK selections: ie Scott we are looking at Delaney what do you think of him?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
maverick wrote:I would only entertain an extension after the trade and draft period to see what we have been able to gather player wise.
Are you assuming that Watters is the draft and trading guy?

I would assume Watters role would be:
Provide list for consideration: ie tall defender, inside mid etc
OK or NOK selections: ie Scott we are looking at Delaney what do you think of him?
No but if the Watters led Saints aren't attractive enough to entice players we shouldn't extend the deal at this stage.
2 failed trade periods is not encouraging

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

I'd like to first touch on Nettlefold's comment regarding Moorabbin: "It's still our heartland in many respects, it's still a fundamental part of our history so that's important."

Our heartland in many respects??? A part of our history??? It still is our heartland full stop and if we don't embrace that fact, we may become irrelevant.

In regard to the coaching position, whilst I stress I am not criticising Watters (the jury is still out for me), I think extending his contract is premature and in fact reckless. I do not believe he has earned that yet. The frustrating thing is that I would have preferred that Nettlefold was as quick to want to re sign Lyon. Unfortunately, that's now history and Nettlefold is not going to fix that by being eager to extend Watters' contract.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lets hire him on a day to day basis :roll:

Kickit
Club Player

Moorabbin Man wrote:I'd like to first touch on Nettlefold's comment regarding Moorabbin: "It's still our heartland in many respects, it's still a fundamental part of our history so that's important."

Our heartland in many respects??? A part of our history??? It still is our heartland full stop and if we don't embrace that fact, we may become irrelevant.

In regard to the coaching position, whilst I stress I am not criticising Watters (the jury is still out for me), I think extending his contract is premature and in fact reckless. I do not believe he has earned that yet. The frustrating thing is that I would have preferred that Nettlefold was as quick to want to re sign Lyon. Unfortunately, that's now history and Nettlefold is not going to fix that by being eager to extend Watters' contract.
My children have been to many Saints games but they've only been to the Moorabbin oval once for a function.
I don't like going to Moorabbin its a horrible industrial area with an 8 lane road up the middle of it. You sure as hell don't drive past and think , gee its nice here.
Saints started at StKilda at the Junction Oval if history is your thing.
Moorabbin was just the Seaford of 1965.

I consider the club's reluctance to re-sign Lyon was probably the huge amount of money he was asking, and I expect that if they wanted to dump Watters at the end of next season it would cost the club less for the payout than it would have cost to have Lyon there for a single season. ( I'd also be concerned that we'd probably be drafting Eddie Betts, and Alan Didak and that sort of thing ).

Maverick , I'm not sure that we can expect the coach to do much to attract players apart from winning on the field.
As far as the off field atmosphere goes, most of the players seemed to find Watters "open door" policy refreshing after Ross Lyon and we aren't really hearing the rumbling rumours of players wanting to leave just to get away from the coach.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:
Moorabbin Man wrote:I'd like to first touch on Nettlefold's comment regarding Moorabbin: "It's still our heartland in many respects, it's still a fundamental part of our history so that's important."

My children have been to many Saints games but they've only been to the Moorabbin oval once for a function.
I don't like going to Moorabbin its a horrible industrial area with an 8 lane road up the middle of it. You sure as hell don't drive past and think , gee its nice here.

I consider the club's reluctance to re-sign Lyon was probably the huge amount of money he was asking, and I expect that if they wanted to dump Watters at the end of next season it would cost the club less for the payout than it would have cost to have Lyon there for a single season. ( I'd also be concerned that we'd probably be drafting Eddie Betts, and Alan Didak and that sort of thing ).

Maverick , I'm not sure that we can expect the coach to do much to attract players apart from winning on the field.
As far as the off field atmosphere goes, most of the players seemed to find Watters "open door" policy refreshing after Ross Lyon and we aren't really hearing the rumbling rumours of players wanting to leave just to get away from the coach.
Im unsure your last statement has any factual basis behind it at all. Went out for lunch with a guy yesterday whose daughter goes out with a current player and he told me that many younger players arent that happy at the club at the moment. That doesnt ean a great deal as they probably arent getting to many games and most players in the same situation would be like that at any club but im not sure SW is the more poular that RL. My guess is he isnt amongst the players.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote:

But what's the reason to re-sign him now?
I can't see one.