Adam Cockie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Adam Cockie

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

So did you think Zac Dawson would make it as a FB who would play in GFs and get poached by another club after watching him at VFL level? I didn't. You know how hard it is to make it as a rookie. 3 weeks ago you said we should delist Curren as we aren't giving him a go so his papers are stamped. He showed a bit now so should stay. Shents now pretty much looks gone after half a game.

Last year i watched plenty of VFL but haven't had time this year. there are guys playing in lower levels who should get a go but life doesn't always hand out a fair deal.

Lee had a go but is getting another now. But apparently he shouldn't because he was rejected. When you cull the list every year some who are slow to come on or unlucky with injury get the chop. It's not always fair but it's the system.

as for the FB it's exactly what I said in my initial response, Cockie is good but not what we need. If you watched Brown from WCE he was no gun, just a genuine big bodied full back who would make life hard for the big key forwards. If Shep could do that he would be worth a look otherwise we should look at Tippett and Josh Bruce. And at the same time get Rodda in the draft as a longer term KPB.

You examples to prove a point arent very good. Lee played one year at AFL and is still only about 21. Completely different to Shephard and Cockie. Lee is like Hutchings for WCE. One year at AFL and still young.

And now you wnt an experienced FB and a young FB. Thats 2 picks already so how many do you want to get rid of to get the picks. 3 have trired and curren will be upgraded so I gather you want to delist a few but then you say we shouldnt get rid of that player and another player. On Monday i will start a thread on delisting so hopefully you will tell us yours so that we see how many picks you want in the draft. If we are getting 2 FB I gather you must want at least 4 or 5 other picks which will mean delisting 4 or 5 players.

Do you know how Shep went at Freo? He was a rookie who seemed injured the whole time. Cockie likewise was a rookie mid in a west coast era that had a deep midfield. Just because they didn't get kept on doesn't automatically write off their careers.

I have done two of these delisting ones so far for you, how many more do you want? So you don't want to draft a mature KPB and a young one? Obviously you don't rate having a FB. We will probably drop all of Ferg, Staley, Lever, ledge, Shenton and maybe Dunnel and Siposs on top of Milne, Kosi, Blake and even possibly Jones and Simpkin. Saad is probably gone too.

I'm no maths expert but that opens a few places. Obviously not all will go but all of those guys would be a little nervous.

Of course i knew they both played AFL footy. Thats what my post said. You even commented on it. And yes I want a FB but only one. i want as many mids as we can get but i want young ones. Not a 25 year old that will probably play and do okish but stop a younger kid getting a game.

Forget Shephard please. Cockie may be drafted by us or another club. i wouldnt do it though not that they seem to ask me.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Do you know how Shep went at Freo? He was a rookie who seemed injured the whole time. Cockie likewise was a rookie mid in a west coast era that had a deep midfield. Just because they didn't get kept on doesn't automatically write off their careers.

I have done two of these delisting ones so far for you, how many more do you want? So you don't want to draft a mature KPB and a young one? Obviously you don't rate having a FB. We will probably drop all of Ferg, Staley, Lever, ledge, Shenton and maybe Dunnel and Siposs on top of Milne, Kosi, Blake and even possibly Jones and Simpkin. Saad is probably gone too.

I'm no maths expert but that opens a few places. Obviously not all will go but all of those guys would be a little nervous.

Of course i knew they both played AFL footy. Thats what my post said. You even commented on it. And yes I want a FB but only one. i want as many mids as we can get but i want young ones. Not a 25 year old that will probably play and do okish but stop a younger kid getting a game.

Forget Shephard please. Cockie may be drafted by us or another club. i wouldnt do it though not that they seem to ask me.
I don't get why you wouldn't want someone just because of their age. JPod was 29 or something and Barlow wasn't a kid either yet one is touted as a possible Brownlow medalist and one is a multiple premiership winning FF. Richmond got in Morris, Grigg and Chaplin as mature agers and have gone from an average team to a finals team.

Ross went too far one way but you don't don't want to discount players that could improve our list. Just because you pick a mid in the draft doesn't guarantee them to be of any quality. It's just that you know less about them so as a sight unseen prospect there is the chance they could be exceptional.

I think there should be a bit of a formula where they take one to two mature agers to every 5 or 6 kids then you are having a bet each way and filling the gaps for the now.

I also think we need more than one KPB for the future. Roberton is more of an oversized runner rebounder than a true KPP and Fisher, is only good for another couple of years. Plenty want to delist Gwilt and Dempster isn't young any more. Our backline will need some re-stocking soon.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I thought Armo and Cockie paired as a formidable duo in the centre at VFL level, whether that would work in the AFL who knows. but one thing us St Kilda fans have taken pride in over the decades is the hard knuckle player types. I can handle a loss as long as it is not a limp wristed loss.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Sock Puppet
Club Player

I'd love him in our side!

Can definitely play, and with the huge bonus of him being able to look-out for our young blokes whilst they muscle up.

Wouldn't stress the salary cap too much either................

But, like any player, isn't it a case of seeing who is available around the pick that we are prepared to use on that player........

and selecting whoever would be the best for our club's needs?
(Was not that why we ended up going for Lou Pierce, who was unexpectedly still available, when we had planned to select Cockie last draft?)

Should that man be cocky.............. I sure hope that he can back it up.

Should that man be Adam Cockie, then I would not be disappointed.