Who are leaving at seasons end?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

savatage
SS Life Member

Re: Who are leaving at seasons end?

He's very raw - but has looked OK this season (Staley). Not sure if he'll ever be AFL quality but we've definitely seen some development this season.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The number they put on the interchange cap will a major reason in Lenny and the clubs decision

spert
Saintsational Legend

Lenny has lost a bit of zing and at this stage of his career probably wont get it back- I think he might retire. I don't know if Roo can keep it up- he can't fly for the big grabs anymore and he hasn't been effective in the last part of this season as time catches up. Maybe if he wants to play on, he should just be parked at full forward and stay in the 50 metre arc.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think it is time to clean out the rookie list. We did nothing with it last year, so all of our rookies have had two years, and Ferguson three. Those that are not promoted should be cleaned out.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:The number they put on the interchange cap will a major reason in Lenny and the clubs decision

Pretty sure the club want him to play on so they obviously know the number or dont care.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I think it is time to clean out the rookie list. We did nothing with it last year, so all of our rookies have had two years, and Ferguson three. Those that are not promoted should be cleaned out.
But which ones should go, Barry? Curren has looked OK at AFL level. Ferguson and Staley are tall defenders and we're desperately short of those guys. Minchington has played one AFL game and showed a little. Shenton is apparently playing well at VFL level. Which ones get dumped?

noob
Club Player

I'm surprised we don't have a trade/draft thread considering our position on the ladder and what Watters said the other day.

Retired:
Blake
Kosi
Milne
Hayes

Delisted:
Ledger
Saad (unfortunate)
Staley (rookie)
Shenton(rookie)
Ferguson(rookie)

Others potentially facing the chop:
Jones
Dennis-Lane
Lever

Upgraded
Curran

Kept rookies
Minchington

Strange that there might be only a couple of delistings when we've had our worst season for more than a decade. Usually its a massive clean-out.

Kickit
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:
Kickit wrote:I'm not that worried about which Rookies will go, its the main list that's going to be hard to manage.
Kosi and Blake. Surely at least 2 of TDL, Saad, Milne , Schnieder ( depending on circumstances ).
Probably Ledger.

My understanding is that after 2 years, Lever has only just started to show some half decent form in the VFL.
I'd suggest that he wont play a game next season, so there is no point keeping him on the main list.
But to Rookie him, you have to ask, does he show more promise as a Rookie than all the other VFL /WAFL/SAFL listed players out there?

That's 6.
If we elevate Minchington and Curran that's 4.
If we need more I'd look to another of the mosquito fleet , ( given that Milera has re-signed ).
That's not right concerning Lever. Staley has improved physically and as a player but Lever hasn't. Retaining Lever would represent a major leap of faith and he would be odds against at this stage to be retained on the list.
From the reports I read, ( I don't get down to the beach all that often unfortunately ) Lever has been a bit better in his last couple of games, but I agree he's coming off a pretty low base.
He's playing seniors at least this year.

But that's what I was getting at, if you told an independent talent spotter to pick a Rookie from any player in the VFL, I'd suggest that Lever wouldn't be one of the ones he'd notice. It doesn't really make sense for us to follow up our wasted draft with a wasted rookie pick.

Kickit
Club Player

Hemi Baxter wrote:
Kickit wrote:I'm not that worried about which Rookies will go, its the main list that's going to be hard to manage.
Kosi and Blake. Surely at least 2 of TDL, Saad, Milne , Schnieder ( depending on circumstances ).
Probably Ledger.

My understanding is that after 2 years, Lever has only just started to show some half decent form in the VFL.
I'd suggest that he wont play a game next season, so there is no point keeping him on the main list.
But to Rookie him, you have to ask, does he show more promise as a Rookie than all the other VFL /WAFL/SAFL listed players out there?

That's 6.
If we elevate Minchington and Curran that's 4.
If we need more I'd look to another of the mosquito fleet , ( given that Milera has re-signed ).
That's not right concerning Lever. Staley has improved physically and as a player but Lever hasn't. Retaining Lever would represent a major leap of faith and he would be odds against at this stage to be retained on the list.
From the reports I read, ( I don't get down to the beach all that often unfortunately ) Lever has been a bit better in his last couple of games, but I agree he's coming off a pretty low base.
He's playing seniors at least this year.

But that's what I was getting at, if you told an independent talent spotter to pick a Rookie from any player in the VFL, I'd suggest that Lever wouldn't be one of the ones he'd notice. It doesn't really make sense for us to follow up our wasted draft with a wasted rookie pick.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Lever might get time because he is a tall kid but he doesn't seem to ever put on much bulk. Ben griffiths at the Tiges can't get a game behind their tall backs is 200 cm can run as fast as a sprinter and kicks accurately over about 75 meters according to Tigers fans. Do you think they would swap?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Lever might get time because he is a tall kid but he doesn't seem to ever put on much bulk. Ben griffiths at the Tiges can't get a game behind their tall backs is 200 cm can run as fast as a sprinter and kicks accurately over about 75 meters according to Tigers fans. Do you think they would swap?
Not this decade.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I'm surprised we don't have a trade/draft thread considering our position on the ladder and what Watters said the other day.

Retired:
Blake
Kosi
Milne
Hayes

Delisted:
Ledger
Saad (unfortunate)
Staley (rookie)
Shenton(rookie)
Ferguson(rookie)

Others potentially facing the chop:
Jones
Dennis-Lane
Lever

Upgraded
Curran

Kept rookies
Minchington

Strange that there might be only a couple of delistings when we've had our worst season for more than a decade. Usually its a massive clean-out.
Having a massive clean out sounds fine, BUT, where are the quality replacements coming from, we aren't the only club that needs to churn a few

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
evo
Club Player

We have an excess of HBF's e.g Roberton - Fisher - Gilbert - Gwilt - Newnes - Dunnell - Shenton (rk) seems too many to carry. I think we have to many ruck types as well, maybe some trimming/trading may come from these ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:We have an excess of HBF's e.g Roberton - Fisher - Gilbert - Gwilt - Newnes - Dunnell - Shenton (rk) seems too many to carry. I think we have to many ruck types as well, maybe some trimming/trading may come from these ?
Agree on the half backs… but we traded pretty hard to add Hickey last year as we were so desperately short on rucks…

Who do you reckon we would trade out? I reckon we only have 3 genuine rucks including Pearce…

evo
Club Player

I would not be that upset if they traded Stanley.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:I would not be that upset if they traded Stanley.
I don't reckon we'd get much for him though unfortunately…

evo
Club Player

Do you think GWS would take a combination of McEvoy or Stanley and two of our hbf's for pick 1 and 10 or Patton and 10 ?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Do you think GWS would take a combination of McEvoy or Stanley and two of our hbf's for pick 1 and 10 or Patton and 10 ?
I don't think so… At a guess… McEvoy would be worth a mid first rounder… Stanley a 3rd rounder… and I don't think GWS need our any GOP half back flankers…

They might go for McEvoy somehow involved to get pick # 1, but he was a first round pick for us with 6 years of development now… can't see the saints dealing him personally.

evo
Club Player

If we trade as aggressively as our coach has indicated, there could be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on this board.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:On Game Day yesterday they asked Joey this exact question. They rattled off names, he gave a 1 word response. Take it for what it's worth, his answers were:

Likely Gone:
Kosi, Blake

50/50:
Milne, Hayes

Definetly Stay:
Roo
Dal Santo
Schneider

Aside from that, I'd think certainly the guys who haven't had a look in yet are in trouble (Lever, Staley etc). Shenton's form has been good, but I'd worry for him if he cant crack a game in the next 3 weeks...

Ledger is gone. Not sure what the issue is - maybe wanted to go home last year but club wouldnt trade he and Cripps together?? Ferguson gone - has been at the club for a long time now, and has a key defensive post in the club's worst quarter

Curren upgraded (possibly at CJ's expense??)

Saad and Milne are out of our hands I think. Saad would stay because he has 1 more year on his contract, and Milne, who knows how his form would have gone had his "issues" not been dragged up again. His best game of the year was the week before the charges were laid...

I believe, Saad has 2 years on his contract. got re-signed early on this year for 2 extra years.

evo
Club Player

Didn't Saad break his contract by taking that "substance" ?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:I believe, Saad has 2 years on his contract. got re-signed early on this year for 2 extra years.
Surely if he gets suspended for two years that's sufficient condition to dissolve the contract. Otherwise Bains has been incompetent in drawing it up.

defacto
Club Player

for me
RETIRE:
blake
kozi
milne
hayes

SUSPENDED/DELIST
saad

DELIST/TRADE
ledger
lever
simpkin

UPGRADE
curren
minchington
ferguson

i'd trade in a KPD and potentially trade away someone like gilbert if the price is right. without a trade out that would give us 4 picks in the draft + the KPD + 2 rookies + 1 nsw rookie

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I think the club should be delisting the likes of Maister and Milera, but remarkably they have both re-signed. Hmmmm...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
starsign
Club Player

Haven't we got our eye on a couple of Kiwi rookies?