Get physical, Ben!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Re: Get physical, Ben!

You must love warnock p66

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:You must love warnock p66

No because I ont rate ruck hit outs but for some reason thats how you decided if a person is agood ruckman or not.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Same old dribble in here. One thread and all the haters come in letting it all off. Ben is fine wtf do some of u expect

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do you think it's the whole "play like your personality" ?

Maybe Hamill needs to rough him up before a game, antagonise him a bit, fire him up.

evo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
"Yes he hasnt had the hit outs of Warnock who cant get game"

No because I ont rate ruck hit outs but for some reason thats how you decided if a person is agood ruckman or not.
Warnock's in this week..

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

evo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Warnock's in this week..
And probably have more possessions than Ben too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
evo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Warnock's in this week..
And probably have more possessions than Ben too.

You will be hoping. I thinks thats the difference. Some want them to fail to be proved right.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Same old dribble in here. One thread and all the haters come in letting it all off. Ben is fine wtf do some of u expect
Serious? I like the guy and think he's going to be a good player, but on the basis of last night it's pretty stupid to say he's "fine". He had a shocker and not for the first time this season. Hopefully he has a niggle or something.

That said, he's still ranked 8th in the comp for hitouts and 9th for contested marks. The contested mark thing is mainly a consequence of our game plan - every time we come out of the backline, we kick to Ben or Roo with three guys on them. Every now and then they take that mark, but more likely we turn it over. That's a separate issue though.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Jimmy O'Dea wrote:The club won't trade Ben for no 1 pick but GWS want him and Tom Boyd is as good a forward as there has been at under 18 level. Just do it.

Leaving aside whether we should or shouldn't trade him, how the hell do you know that GWS want him?

And more to the point, how do you know that GWS are prepared to offer the Saints the #1 Draft Pick to get the deal done?
Silvagni is a big wrap for McEvoy. Remember him one of our previous assistant coaches. It is common knowledge they have touched base with the footy club re their interest in a trade.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The issue I have with McEvoy is he hasn't improved over the past two years as I thought he would. Two years ago he was a 22 year old promising ruckman. Now he's a 24 year old ruckman who in my opinion has reached his full potential, which is on par with his form two seasons ago. It's not like he's a skinny kid. He's a very developed and mature player now and looks to be in 'his' prime. He's the type of ruckman who other ruckman would love playing against cos they know they can bully him and really dominate.

PJ
SS Life Member

Ben showed exactly why we must trade him tonight - he has value in some corners and that must be exploited. Getting physical is not in Ben's nature, won't happen.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

sometimes I think Ben would be more use all over the ground, some of his best games is where he kicks a couple and takes pivotal defensive grabs. reckon with development of Hickey and Stanley, who in my opinion are better tap ruckmen, will see Ben used more in this capacity.
but yes, he was definitely soft in the ruck contest tonight.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
spert
Saintsational Legend

Ben has some excellent games where he really hits the contest hard, then goes missing for a lot of games. He needs to work on consistency more than anything.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

spert wrote:Ben has some excellent games where he really hits the contest hard, then goes missing for a lot of games. He needs to work on consistency more than anything.
this

Fortius Quo Fidelius
dragit
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote: some of his best games is where he kicks a couple and takes pivotal defensive grabs.
He's kicked more than one goal on 3 occasions from 87 games so far, unfortunately he's not a big goal kicker... With 26 career goals.

PJ
SS Life Member

He's around 24 with plenty of up side so should attract interest. He'll either be traded or get game time win/win

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I think I've worked out Ben's problem. He has a complete lack of physical " presence". Neither in the ruck contests, nor around the stoppages, he simply doesn't impose himself. Sure, he gets some hit outs, but rarely,if ever, does he create space for his runners, or take out the opposition. When you compare him to Minson, Mumford and Goldstein, you'll see what I mean. For a guy of his size and ability, he rarely throws doubt into the opposition's minds. Come on Ben. Get physical!
yep...bit soft..as far as ruckmen go...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Hey pluggs. Better turn the tv on if you have foxtel and watch that warnock guy that you love so much.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:Hey pluggs. Better turn the tv on if you have foxtel and watch that warnock guy that you love so much.
3 more possession to equal Bens but with a half to go

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Watching swans game
What an eye opener.
Mumford is seriously physical and they play for keeps.
Quick and tough.
Our boys are a long way off it ....

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I just hope he does a Minson- just when they look like trade stocking-stuffers he comes good. I like big mac but I wish he won more hit outs to advantage.

Kickit
Club Player

I don't mind if we trade Ben because he will fetch top dollar and we need it right now, and we can probably cope without him.
But.
Geez there are some dickheads here with regards to his ability.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:Hey pluggs. Better turn the tv on if you have foxtel and watch that warnock guy that you love so much.

I love people who hope our players arent good so they can say I told you so. I love people who work on just one game. I then realise thay actually have no idea. Hi blind deer.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

I love people who hope our players arent good so they can say I told you so. I love people who work on just one game. I then realise thay actually have no idea. Hi blind deer.
Poor pluggs. Ive been telling you all year but somehow you bring up this one game crap and you also bring up Warnock. Sounds like you have a bout of amnesia or watching something else

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:

Poor pluggs. Ive been telling you all year but somehow you bring up this one game crap and you also bring up Warnock. Sounds like you have a bout of amnesia or watching something else[/quote]

And as for Warnock, not bad for a second or third string ruckmen that cant get a game.