OK, time for a Pollyanna thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: OK, time for a Pollyanna thread

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Hahhah - very Polyanna!
How can we 'aggresively trade for a full back'?
everyone says this but when you ask how - noone has a clue.

Schneider gilbo and fisher..... - if we are relying on any of those three we are completely dreaming.
Chips was a great champ for the club but he is finished. Gawn. Should play golf. Game has past him by.
Gilbo is Gilbo and I have zero faith in Schneiders body/fitness.

Why is Fisher finished. Players are allowed to get injured in one year and be fit the next. I reckon that is real short term memory stuff.
Ok hes an AA - so are Dempster and Milney!
Roo is a champion of the comp!
We are awesome!
We will be top 4 next year with all these champs coming back to full fitness! Just you wait!

is that the kind of talk you prefer?

Fisher was awesome in 2008/09. Good in 2010/11. Struggled in 2012. Struggled badly in 2013. He is now 31 and I'm expected to believe he is going to roll the clock back to 2009 next year? - thats 5 years.

Absolute fantasy to think hell get back to his old form.

Ive said it a million times - yes there are exceptions - but the majority of players play their best footy between 25 and 28yo. Sam is no different to the majority.

He is gone.

If Im wrong bookmark this and let me know next year.

I ask a simple question and you carry on like a 5 year old. Who said if he plays we will be a good side or who said people wanted to hear that. Either discuss it properly or dont waste your fingers. If I bookmarked everything you have been wrong with I would have 70K posts. He struggled this year with a foot injury. he deserves another year. We dont need 8 picks in the draft unless you want to use pick 140.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I ask a simple question and you carry on like a 5 year old. Who said if he plays we will be a good side or who said people wanted to hear that. Either discuss it properly or dont waste your fingers. If I bookmarked everything you have been wrong with I would have 70K posts. He struggled this year with a foot injury. he deserves another year. We dont need 8 picks in the draft unless you want to use pick 140.
You asked a question I answered it.
Players don't have 2 bad years and then come back and suddenly get good again when they are 32.
Thats my answer.
Hes in gradual decline and has injuries. It is injuries that end players careers - not age.
So on the weight of probabilities - hes gone and I believe he will be a waste of a spot next year. Thats my opinion based on the weight of probabilities.

Now you think you are 'defending' him because in your head hes a friend of yours and you get a kick out of thinking it makes you a better person for defending your 'mates'. (ill bet he doesnt consider you a mate of his but thats another story).

So youre telling me you think he will recover from his injury and be a decent and reliable player next year?

That's fine - just come out and say it.

My opinion is he wont.

So there you go. We have different opinions.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

You asked a question I answered it.
Players don't have 2 bad years and then come back when they are 32.
Thats my answer.
Hes in gradual decline and has injuries. It is injuries that end players careers - not age.
So on the weight of probabilities - hes gone and I believe he will be a waste of s spot next year. Thats my opinion based on the weight of probabilities.

Now you think you are 'defending' him because in your head hes a friend of yours and you get a kick out of thinking it makes you a better person for defending your 'mates'. (ill bet he doesnt consider you a mate of his but thats another story).

So youre telling me you think he will recover from his injury and be a decent and reliable player next year?

That's fine - just come out and say it.

My opinion is he wont.

So there you go. We have different opinions.

I certainly know you have nothing to do with the law except running away from people. And if you think that is personal it is because you sprout some stuff that isnt true at all. Sam Fisher a friend of mine. What a lot of crap. If you can show me one post where I have ever claimed that then do it otherwise you are lying to prove some sort of point. If he was a friend I would still give an honest opinion. And i have said he will recover from his injuries by saying i think he should be on the list next year. Common sense I would have thought. Not that common to some. And yes we have different opinions. That doesnt mean either of us cant ask question about eithers opinions.

70s sainter
Club Player

I am happy with this thread - very positive and why not . However you start by saying trade heavily for a full back and then list all of our decent up and coming players. It ll be hard to do both .
Hopefully if we can't pick up a genuine proven full back for next year I'd like to see us pick up two backup from the next level down. Then put Stanley back in the forward line is a must for him.
This takes the pressure off for a year at least- who knows. One of them might turn out all right .
We can always chase a proven full back the following year.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Kiedis wrote:
Having just watched the SA showdown, man I hope we pick up the next Wingard with our pick 3. The guy's 19. Unreal.
Yeah - his name is Aish and assuming we get pick 3 in the draft we are 50% chance of picking him up. If Aish is gone, we might just end up with a power forward in Boyd (although highly unlikely), or a tallish defender who can run through the middle in Scharenburg. The way I see it, we should end up with a good player regardless unless we do some weird deal.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
noob
Club Player

Zed wrote:
Kiedis wrote:
Having just watched the SA showdown, man I hope we pick up the next Wingard with our pick 3. The guy's 19. Unreal.
Yeah - his name is Aish and assuming we get pick 3 in the draft we are 50% chance of picking him up. If Aish is gone, we might just end up with a power forward in Boyd (although highly unlikely), or a tallish defender who can run through the middle in Scharenburg. The way I see it, we should end up with a good player regardless unless we do some weird deal.
Wouldn't be surprised if they do something like that. Like Pick 3 for pick 18 and some hack that is in the 24-26 age group.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

back to pollyanna

I woke up this morning and I thought hang on a minute - we have uncovered 6 new players this year. That has to be a a record for us or the most in a decade.

Roberton, Saunders, Lee, Nate Wright, Webster and Ross have all shown enough to me that they are capable of being 100 game players for the club.

If we do another 5 next year - we are back in the hunt. We need 2-3 of that 11 to be be real guns.

(p.s i didnt count newnes in 2013 because i think he 'emerged' in 2012)

Richter
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:back to pollyanna

I woke up this morning and I thought hang on a minute - we have uncovered 6 new players this year. That has to be a a record for us or the most in a decade.

Roberton, Saunders, Lee, Nate Wright, Webster and Ross have all shown enough to me that they are capable of being 100 game players for the club.

If we do another 5 next year - we are back in the hunt. We need 2-3 of that 11 to be be real guns.

(p.s i didnt count newnes in 2013 because I think he 'emerged' in 2012)
Con, you're right and come 2016 we'll have some decent players on the 21-26 age range...

- Steven, Stanley, Lee, Hickey, Roberton, Markworth, Curren, Sippos, Newnes, Ross, Webster, Murdoch, Wright, Saunders, White

Trouble is that only Jack Steven is showing signs of being a top 50 player in the league. The rest look like GOPs. The stars are going to have to come from the next 3-4 years of drafting/trading/free agency... and even then any A grade draftees will only be 18-20.

THe more I look at it the more I think that we are in for a Terry Wallace length of time in the wilderness (7 years I think he suggested).

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...