Rate Roo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rate Roo

Ron Harvey was a little bit more than a gut runner....I hate it when that throw away line is levelled at him because it takes away from his actual ability.... Which was extreme... Lots of people can run hard

When making comparisons with the big 3.... Harvey's always put behind them as footballers (for ridiculous reasons) and his performances is attributed to running more than ability.... What a croc of s***

I would like to compare the number of possessions Harvs got which were followed by another stk possession?! IMO he would have won more effective possessions in the afl than anyone ever

Ability to win the football is the most important skill in the game... He was able to win it 25+ times a game over 383 games in three distinct eras his score involvement stat would have been better than possibly anyone... He was easily the best IMO.

Lockett.... Only 3 all Australian years, 183 games.... So basically Harvey played another 9 seasons on top of Pluggers career.... That is a career in itself, to put that in perspective Darryll Baldock... Who many rate at the top only played 7 years total..... And only 5 fully fit??

And the term single hand idly won more games than any other for stk???

Rob Harvey was listed as BOG over 50 times for stk which is astounding, therefore in my mind has been the most influential player on the ground more than any other person... It's difficult to understand how a ff can single hand idly win a game anyway... The ball has to get there??

Plugger was unstoppable in 1991... Not rated the best player in the comp that year though... The following year was his third best season at StK.... And Robert won the B&F??

If Tony played his entire career at StK he may higher in my eyes.... But a few dominant season doesn't not match a dominant career...

Which is why Idont Rate Baldocks career as high as few people...

In saying all of that.... It's not a stab at plugger, I loved watching him so much... I followed him at Sydney....and I still rate him #2
But Harvey's career is underrated as I said.... And that's hard to fathom IMO

It's not a question about him being #1 IMO.... It's just by how much... Daylight I reckon

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ron Harvey was a little bit more than a gut runner....I hate it when that throw away line is levelled at him because it takes away from his actual ability.... Which was extreme... Lots of people can run hard

When making comparisons with the big 3.... Harvey's always put behind them as footballers (for ridiculous reasons) and his performances is attributed to running more than ability.... What a croc of s***

I would like to compare the number of possessions Harvs got which were followed by another stk possession?! IMO he would have won more effective possessions in the afl than anyone ever

Ability to win the football is the most important skill in the game... He was able to win it 25+ times a game over 383 games in three distinct eras his score involvement stat would have been better than possibly anyone... He was easily the best IMO.

Lockett.... Only 3 all Australian years, 183 games.... So basically Harvey played another 9 seasons on top of Pluggers career.... That is a career in itself, to put that in perspective Darryll Baldock... Who many rate at the top only played 7 years total..... And only 5 fully fit??

And the term single hand idly won more games than any other for stk???

Rob Harvey was listed as BOG over 50 times for stk which is astounding, therefore in my mind has been the most influential player on the ground more than any other person... It's difficult to understand how a ff can single hand idly win a game anyway... The ball has to get there??

Plugger was unstoppable in 1991... Not rated the best player in the comp that year though... The following year was his third best season at StK.... And Robert won the B&F??

If Tony played his entire career at StK he may higher in my eyes.... But a few dominant season doesn't not match a dominant career...

Which is why Idont Rate Baldocks career as high as few people...

In saying all of that.... It's not a stab at plugger, I loved watching him so much... I followed him at Sydney....and I still rate him #2
But Harvey's career is underrated as I said.... And that's hard to fathom IMO

It's not a question about him being #1 IMO.... It's just by how much... Daylight I reckon
I heard SEN recently do a comparison with players to have played the most 30+ possession games. Our Rob Harvey lead it by a mile. They all sat round trying to make young Ablett look better by saying he must lead the 40+ mark etc but it will take a pretty special career from Ablett to top Harves stats. If he'd been at Carlton or Essendon he would be talked about as the greatest modern midfielder IMO.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMHO 'best' is not necessarily the same as 'greatest'.
IMHO again Baldock was the best footballer I've seen play for the Saints, but cannot possibly be considered the 'greatest' because of his short career with us. Incidentally back in the 60's it was more common than not for players to have shorter careers than today.

Similarly there is no doubt that Barks was not the 'best' player ever for the Saints but is certainly up there for the 'greatest',
and
for the foreseeable future Ablett will be the 'best' player at the Suns but not necessarily the 'greatest'.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I loved Lockett and Harvey but probably won't understand the true worth of Roo until he's gone ,all absolute guns!

PADDLEPOP1000
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

He would be damn close to our best ever. Leadership, skill, strength, ability to run all day, marking ability. He's been through injuries and dramas and come out of it all like the true champ that he is.

He'd have to be among the best CHF's ever to play. At least top 5

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Ron Harvey… not my favorite of all time.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Ron Harvey… not my favorite of all time.
Terry Locket was better.

SS Hall of Fame

2nd best just behind Harvey for me.
Lockett rates lower because he betrayed us.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.