WATTERS is hiding behind youth development !

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: WATTERS is hiding behind youth development !

1433davids wrote:I go and watch the saints and over and over again see basic skill errors I think that a few of the young guys we have will be good, but it seems to me they are this years new guys eg roberton, ross and that they have jumped ahead of last years new guys eg. saad , sippos .The main problem I see is to many players with no experience in the team at the same time we will find out in time if watters can coach or not when thes guys have 50 or so games each under there belts but it will be an agonising wait
SW isn't hiding from anything. Unless you play 'em in the big league you can't tell if they are the real deal or not. Agree it will be agonising, but also glad that SW and the club (including the senior blokes) realise that we are officially in rebuild mode.

The previous coach and footy department were not serious about drafting young talent and neglected the youth on the list. Who are the obvious A graders coming through? Who will take over from Roo, Lenny, Milne, Chips, Bj, Joey, Dal, Kosi and Schneids? SW has got to fast track the youth if we are going to take this outfit to becoming a top 4 contender again.

Greg T
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:
Greg T wrote:From the very start of the game , the match ups were wrong ,as the score board indicated.
We all knew North would come out firing,surely!,
The coaches are responsible for this no one else.
The middies have gone backwards under Laidley.Fact.
We shouldn't have bottomed out so quick,maybe there are too many changes.
We really Needed a more experienced coach to come to the club after 2 Grand finals IMO
I'm all for playing the kids , it's a natural part of the game.
IMO SW is not the right person to take us forward.
Agreed Greg T we shouldn't lose games like that. Yes play the kids but dont butcher them !

I read his post game when he siad Webster wouldn't be playing if they had a full compliment. Jimmy was one of our better players in the second half and should have started the game in front of Ferguson. What game was WATTERS watching?

Our midfield apart from Steven & Monty has been really poor all year - why hasn't there been change.
McEvoy too slow and cant jump. Hickey a long way off !
Geary is a better option than Jones tagging but we miss him down back.
Armitage has played 2 decent games his others have been very ordinary. His clone in Seb Ross, like Armitage will never have the running capacities to become a damaging player.
Dal Santo has been non existent - leave him at half back flank.
Hayes getting old one good game before injury.
Ray been steady without having an impact.

Time to challenge GWILT or DEMPSTER to go through the middle.

It has been said that we are now ruing the years of past poor recruiting - but how will we know when we get that right with WATTERS coaching us?
Seems to me that blokes that were good last year have gone backwards .
Siposs , I thought was a gun, off the boil,
McEvoy,NDS,Armitage,Steven was really coming on,Rhys was really good last year,
Saad,Milera were promising,midfield has been ordinary.
I didn't think the list was that bad when he took over IMO....very disappointing for all of us,

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

People are talking through their hat and trying to cling to some notion that RL would have had us in the top 4 right now.

When the leader and the head coach says you are done and dusted then he must be right - yeah? People forget that we got thumped in the GF replay 2010 because our older and more senior group were done and dusted and could give no more.Maybe that's what RL was talking about....Accept it!!! Ross Lyon did!!! In April of 2011, the previous coach was calling it the end of an era. It was premature, but it was the senior coaches call and at that stage, with the team having endured painfully close outcomes and failure in 2 consecutive years ( plus with everything that had occurred both on field and off field which I reckon had to take it's toll on a lot of Saints players) it was probably a self fulfilling prophecy from Lyon as much as a call on the ability of the group to push for another GF campaign.

The GC Suns are pushing teams this year for 3 quarters and they've been showing signs of where they might be as their kids grow and get games experience. We are doing that too. The difference is they are improving and we are about to retire another 7-10 players from the 09/10 GF team. Just live with it, embrace the youth and get used to some hard times.

Even in Lyon's last year in 2011 we were thumped in an elimination final...remember?? Last year Sainters pushed the premiership contenders in Hawks and Swans for 3 quarters. Although we finished 9th last year it could have easily been top 6 when you consider how close we were just falling short in about 5 games and SW was in his first year as a senior coach. We are a team on the decline and we have not drafted well in the past five years like Cats, Pies, Hawks, Eagles, and Swans. All of these clubs have won GF's by drafting youth and concentrating on player development. That's exactly why our club appointed SW