Plugger, good times

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Plugger, good times

Plugger's efforts made the trips to Moorabbin much more enjoyable- a great player in an ordinary team compared to Ablett snr who was a great, but had a better team around him. One of the greatest players we have had, but I rate Harvey up there, and for the old blokes- I couldn't quite place Plugger in front of Ian Stewart or Doc., but Plugger would have kicked 250 goals in a season if those guys played alongside him.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Sydney Gain:
Tony Lockett, Pick 21 (Matthew Nicks) & Pick 87 (Simon Arnott)
Sydney Loss:
Simon Minton-Connell, Scott Waters, Robert Neill & Pick 5

St Kilda Gain:
Darryl Wakelin, Robert Neill, Joshua Kitchen, Glenn Nugent, Pick 5 (Joel Smith), Pick 13 (Chris Hemley), Pick 26 (Tim Elliot) & Pick 43 (Dean Matthews)
St Kilda Loss:
Tony Lockett, Gilbert McAdam, Pick 42 & Pick 59

Fremantle Gain:
Scott Waters & Pick 42 (Douglas Headland)
Fremantle Loss:
Darryl Wakelin (pre-listed) & Pick 21

Hawthorn Gain:
Simon Minton Connell, Pick 8 (Daniel Harford), Pick 59 (Nathan Saunders) & Pick 60 (Brad Scott)
Hawthorn Loss:
Andrew Gowers, Joshua Kitchen, Glenn Nugent, Pick 13 & Pick 87

Brisbane Gain:
Gilbert McAdam & Andrew Gowers
Brisbane Loss:
Pick 8, Pick 26, Pick 43 & Pick 60

We drafted and got some duds for the best player ever in his prime :cry:

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Plugger's efforts made the trips to Moorabbin much more enjoyable- a great player in an ordinary team compared to Ablett snr who was a great, but had a better team around him. One of the greatest players we have had, but I rate Harvey up there, and for the old blokes- I couldn't quite place Plugger in front of Ian Stewart or Doc., but Plugger would have kicked 250 goals in a season if those guys played alongside him.
Spot on,can only imagine what plugger would of done in that high scoring Geelong side of the late 80's early 90's. That figure of 250 certainly isn't far fetched

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Plugger's efforts made the trips to Moorabbin much more enjoyable- a great player in an ordinary team compared to Ablett snr who was a great, but had a better team around him. One of the greatest players we have had, but I rate Harvey up there, and for the old blokes- I couldn't quite place Plugger in front of Ian Stewart or Doc., but Plugger would have kicked 250 goals in a season if those guys played alongside him.

I didnt realise you were that old. Plugger is the best player i have even seen. The game against Carlton is one the greatest games a FF could ever have and the Swans comeback game was even more ridiculous. Even the time he came back from a back injury in 91 was madness. Was that unfit but managed something like 33 goals in his first game back. If he wasnt injured that year he would have smashed every goal kicking record that have ever been. The only Saints player that was a hero to me.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

stevie wrote:I've always pondered how I would have felt about Plugger if I hadn't of been a Sainter.

Would I have still admired him? I liked Dunstall when he played. I actually kept a tally in my diaries each week during footy seasons as to how many goals both he and Plugger had, a running tally of their career goals. I loved watching Modra p,ay.

Ablett senior I liked though soured on him when he took out Burkey in the 91 EF.

I rate Plugger as the best player I've ever seen. And as someone pointed out earlier, he was kicking goals in an average team sometimes. Abletts, Dunstall and Carey never did that.

No, Carey was winning premierships for an average team.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Plugger is the best player i have even seen. The game against Carlton is one the greatest games a FF could ever have and the Swans comeback game was even more ridiculous. Even the time he came back from a back injury in 91 was madness. Was that unfit but managed something like 33 goals in his first game back. If he wasnt injured that year he would have smashed every goal kicking record that have ever been. The only Saints player that was a hero to me.
You only liked him cos he had the same name as you :P

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Plugger is the best player i have even seen. The game against Carlton is one the greatest games a FF could ever have and the Swans comeback game was even more ridiculous. Even the time he came back from a back injury in 91 was madness. Was that unfit but managed something like 33 goals in his first game back. If he wasnt injured that year he would have smashed every goal kicking record that have ever been. The only Saints player that was a hero to me.
You only liked him cos he had the same name as you :P

That is true.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

When I read the heading I thought this was just going to be another thread about Brothels!