Trading players like dal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trading players like dal

Kos would be silly not to look at it, would lovd to see him finish off his career on a high.

Be surprised if a few clubs didn't look at him, clubs like crows and the dogs have a lot of F50 entry going a begging.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Dal wouldn't be worth anything now, can't beat a tag, even the Bulldogs would reject him..

Hope he stays and extracts the digit and we get a bit more value out of him...
i think your missing the point .. a club like the bulldogs would have no use for Dal as they are rebuilding themselves ... i dont think any club would be willing to trade Dal in as their number 1 midfielder (and lets be honest he would go close to that with almost every bottom 8 club) but a club that already has a strong midfield would consider Dal to lift the quallity of their midfield as their third tier midfielder ... imagine if Collingwood signed him how much of a tag do you think Dal will cop when the opp has to also worry about swan, thomas and pendles ....

personally i think Dal needs to stay - he is more than likely getting paid what he is worth and deserves to become a one club St Kilda legend
NO...I don't believe I missed anything......

Dal would have little currency in the footy market place, and, regardless of where he might end up, the opposition will tag him and he'll be ineffective.

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
Griggsy
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Kos would be silly not to look at it, would lovd to see him finish off his career on a high.

Be surprised if a few clubs didn't look at him, clubs like crows and the dogs have a lot of F50 entry going a begging.
This.

Think Kosi could do well else where. Dogs would be good, even if not in their window their mids need more experience hitting up a big fella in position and to his advantage.

Crows would be interesting, wouldn't shine as much but could push another finals campaign.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Dal wouldn't be worth anything now, can't beat a tag, even the Bulldogs would reject him..

Hope he stays and extracts the digit and we get a bit more value out of him...
i think your missing the point .. a club like the bulldogs would have no use for Dal as they are rebuilding themselves ... i dont think any club would be willing to trade Dal in as their number 1 midfielder (and lets be honest he would go close to that with almost every bottom 8 club) but a club that already has a strong midfield would consider Dal to lift the quallity of their midfield as their third tier midfielder ... imagine if Collingwood signed him how much of a tag do you think Dal will cop when the opp has to also worry about swan, thomas and pendles ....

personally i think Dal needs to stay - he is more than likely getting paid what he is worth and deserves to become a one club St Kilda legend
NO...I don't believe I missed anything......

Dal would have little currency in the footy market place, and, regardless of where he might end up, the opposition will tag him and he'll be ineffective.
Prob worth pick 30, so not a lot. Don't think teams will tag him at a contending club, they all have more damaging mids going around.

Greg T
Club Player

IMO Dal would easily play for any of the top clubs.
And judging by the radio today many commentators reckon Dal would be a
Major asset as well
Whether he leaves or not is yet to be seen. Our window is closed.
Nick Riewoldt certainly deserves to be a premiership player .

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Kos would be silly not to look at it, would lovd to see him finish off his career on a high.

Tell me you are having a lend of us all. Kosi will not play AFL footy next year and Dal will not be sub this week.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So we trade Dal and Joey

Who is exactly getting paid the money to fill our cap??

Roo and Lenny are vets??

We have few A Graders, who is getting overpaid?!

So Dal should go to a contender like Alves and Well to win a flag?!

Ok, let's say he goes to Hawthorn
He gets paid less than
Franklin, Hodge, Mitchell, Rioli, Birchall, Roughead
Without mentioning
Sewell, Lewis, Lake, Gunston, Hale, Burgoyne
Come to think of it, how the hell are they below the cap?

Anyways
Go to a contender, get a pay cut and your never assured success.

This comp ain't supposed to be the EPL where only the big clubs succeed..

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So we trade Dal and Joey

Roo and Lenny are vets??

He gets paid less than
Without mentioning

Anyways

You shouldn't have one of your top players getting pantsed every week either...maybe he gets ragged about his frankfurt every week and he can't focus...the women around me at Etihad have started
yelling at him about it as he gets his pants pulled down yet again...very funny sometimes

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
BigMart wrote:So we trade Dal and Joey

Roo and Lenny are vets??

He gets paid less than
Without mentioning

Anyways

You shouldn't have one of your top players getting pantsed every week either...maybe he gets ragged about his frankfurt every week and he can't focus...the women around me at Etihad have started
yelling at him about it as he gets his pants pulled down yet again...very funny sometimes
Sounds like you sit around some of the more intelligent Saints fans Bob. Must be really amusing.

Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if there are any intelligent Saints fans....why would rational people choose to barrack for a team that has succeeded once in 140 years....

And are now as far away from a flag as they have consistently been...

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:I'm not sure if there are any intelligent Saints fans....why would rational people choose to barrack for a team that has succeeded once in 140 years....

And are now as far away from a flag as they have consistently been...
Most of us poor buggers are born that way I suspect.

As far as I'm concerned, NDS, Milne and Kosi should have all been gone by now. Players who can't perform their "A" game in GFs are clogging the list, and at the moment, all three are plodding along barely doing enough to hold their places in the team.

PJ
SS Life Member

Dal Santo won't get traded and he will return to form. If someone wants Dal then they are going to have to pay and pay large otherwise who are we keeping in the middle as a senior player? Armo? You have to be kidding. Oh yes that's right there are hundreds of great players better than him knocking the door down.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:As far as I'm concerned, NDS, Milne and Kosi should have all been gone by now. Players who can't perform their "A" game in GFs are clogging the list, and at the moment, all three are plodding along barely doing enough to hold their places in the team.

Can I say that is complete rubbish. Dal was nearly our best player in the second GF in 2010 and was injured in the first. Milne is a small forward and they usually always have a hard time in GF's and kosi played quite well in the second half of the drawn GF. I take it you would have got rid of Rooy as well? I have no idea how many players you want to have play this year but coming into round 7 we have had 34. That suggests we have enough room for AA players like Milne and Dal as well as giving young guys a go.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Trade Dal & a late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick for Gumbleton. Essendon would be insane not to do the deal.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:Trade Dal & a late 2nd round or early 3rd round pick for Gumbleton. Essendon would be insane not to do the deal.

Lose a mid and pick up a forward. Thought we got Lee for that last year and also Hickey as a forward ruckman. Also he is always unjured. Id suggest we would be insane to do the deal.

spert
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:As far as I'm concerned, NDS, Milne and Kosi should have all been gone by now. Players who can't perform their "A" game in GFs are clogging the list, and at the moment, all three are plodding along barely doing enough to hold their places in the team.

Can I say that is complete rubbish. Dal was nearly our best player in the second GF in 2010 and was injured in the first. Milne is a small forward and they usually always have a hard time in GF's and kosi played quite well in the second half of the drawn GF. I take it you would have got rid of Rooy as well? I have no idea how many players you want to have play this year but coming into round 7 we have had 34. That suggests we have enough room for AA players like Milne and Dal as well as giving young guys a go.
He was far from our best player in the 2010 replay- if that's the same game I was at, our midfield and forward line got spanked, and thank goodness the backilne put up some kind of effort.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He was far from our best player in the 2010 replay- if that's the same game I was at, our midfield and forward line got spanked, and thank goodness the backilne put up some kind of effort.

Our mids werent great and I have never seen the game again but 21 kicks 8 handballs 6 tackles and 12 contested posssessions says he did ok.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

His stats in that game were identical to the bloke who won the Norm Smith. How far from our best player do you actually think he was? I'm interested. I thought he was in our best 2.

Easily.

He's an A Grade player with a hard tag for a reason.

Don't see Hayes, Steven, Armitage getting tagged too often

Why??

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Easily.

He's an A Grade player with a hard tag for a reason.

Don't see Hayes, Steven, Armitage getting tagged too often

Why??
A grade?

A grade players can work through a tag - see Pendlebury, Ablett etc.....

He is probably B+ at best nowadays and has never broken a tag.

I love Dal but thats a huge question hanging over his career for me.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I love dal - but s*** if GWS would have taken dal or goddard for jager omeara two years ago.....
we should have done that deal

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Essendon or Collingwood would probably pay big for him as he wouldn't be tagged there because they have more important targets.
A Dal not being tagged is a tempting thought for a club who are challenging.
West Coast might fancy him, Hawthorn probably are at the top of their Salary cap.
He might appeal to the Cats but they will need to give more money to some of their younger guys so probably couldn't afford him.
The Swans could afford him as they don't have a salary cap, but he may well get a tag there as Kennedy is too hard to tag and he would be their next midfielder with Hannebury.
Carlton also might look at him as that extra A-grader they need but they would more likely be whispering in Roos ear.
Freo could probably afford him but he would probably cop a heavy tag there as he would be their silkiest mid.