After 5 rounds=14th..disappointed Yes/No

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wolfpup
Club Player

Re: After 5 rounds=14th..disappointed Yes/No

I am disappointed but strangely relieved.

I had us at 3-2 at this stage (well according to my chart on my fridge). I was expecting us to be 3-0 from the first 3 rounds. The worst loss by far was the gold coast loss, it really surprised me and was disappointed by the Richmond loss as well.

At 3-2 (as per my prediction) i thought the next few weeks would define our season against tough opposition.

We are 1-4, and am very pleased and relieved with the young guys coming through (i find it refreshing and was stoked by wright flying the flag in the half time melee against the bombers), i really, really want Spencer White to play a few games this year and strongly believe that if we can't make the finals then play it smart and tank this year (or whatever you want to call it), i couldn't care less if we finished last this year. We cant finish in the no-mans land of 9th-12th, finish below that FFS (we clearly saw richmond, essendon and carlton do that when finals were out of reach last year they were plodding along toward the end hoping aiming for good draft picks as their tilt at the flag is coming in the next few years)

As a side note my 4yr old boy had his 1st oz kick yesterday in port melbourne, in his group of kindergarden kids there were 6 sainter jumpers (including his own) next closest was tigers with 2, and pies with 2. Anyways, it was good to see great support there, future will be awesome.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all. GC was poor. But I think that's enabled us to start making changes to the 22, and I like the direction we're going.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

We will be 15th after next week when we get turned over by the pies and either wce or the dogs win as they play each other.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:
Teflon wrote:the trend has been there so if this was our "bottom" year then great.........Im not sure it is yet though......even Thurs 2 ageing stars played huge roles in getting us that close...next year could be worse!!

Hayes goes I do fear we will enter a period of real up/down performances cause not sure Armo/Jack have the ability to take it up a level when needed...hope so.
That's so true.Our big guns are still carrying us and have done for a while.
I suggest next year wil be worse as our ageing stars leave.
Crickey,who will carry the can till anther St Nick enters ...who knows

we complained when our aging stars don't do well ie hayes was quiet in the first few rounds. and now we complain when they do do well.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Agree with all. GC was poor. But I think that's enabled us to start making changes to the 22, and I like the direction we're going.
Agree Munga…

I'm disappointed while not surprised, but I think the very worst thing that could have happened is that we beat a few other battlers with Kosi, Blake, Ray & CJ (&TDL) in the side and get carried away thinking we are a chance. Therefore not making the necessary changes we need to get experience into our younger players.

Murdoch said after the game "The game was quicker than I thought but I worked my way into it and I really enjoyed it," You can't simulate that top level speed and these guys will learn so much more about the game than by playing at Sandy all year.

If we were 3 - 1, I highly doubt we'd have seen either of Saunders & Murdoch last week. We'll be better for it when it counts.

Greg T
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:The team has been poorly prepared and coached to date - you think the coaching group would have learnt something after the tardy start last year but obviously not! So for me it is a very disappointing start and IMO it won't get much better !
Fair comment.
Im not sure how to rate SW and the other coaches to date.
I suppose when he leaves/sacked after a period of time , we will know.
Our skill level really seems to have dropped off over the 2 seasons.
All coaches must blood new players so that is a given.
It wasnt a bad list to start with.
Dreading the next few weeks,some big teams coming.

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
philtee
Club Player

Expected this kind of start, so not disappointed.
Sydney match was a turning point, full of kids and full of guts and determination.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

A Little disappointed but we knew this was coming sooner or later. Reckon this year and next is our bottom out. Will get games into kids and by the end of next season they should be in the 30 to 40 game bracket and we will start to see improvement in 2015. We know they are looking to shop around for FA etc at the end of this year with our salary cap space so with any new blood in next year we will need some time for the team to gel. Expect to see the performance curve heading upwards late next season.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

hell yes I'm disappointed but not hugely surprised if that makes sense. I expected us to beat GC even though I knew it was going to be a danger game but I fully expected to struggle in all the other games except GWS. I still don't think GC are going to win a lot of games this year - basically like when Port Power beat us at the start of last year - which makes us a laughing stock in the AFL.

Most teams in the AFL have now pencilled in a win when they see our game in the fixture and even GC, GWS, Dees & WB all look at us a game they think they could win. Nobody looks at the Saints as a 'danger game' anymore.

“If you want the rainbow you gotta put up with rain” Dolly Parton
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

YES

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:hell yes I'm disappointed but not hugely surprised if that makes sense. I expected us to beat GC even though I knew it was going to be a danger game but I fully expected to struggle in all the other games except GWS. I still don't think GC are going to win a lot of games this year - basically like when Port Power beat us at the start of last year - which makes us a laughing stock in the AFL.

Most teams in the AFL have now pencilled in a win when they see our game in the fixture and even GC, GWS, Dees & WB all look at us a game they think they could win. Nobody looks at the Saints as a 'danger game' anymore.
You're talking about supporters and not players because if teams think that then I'd say we have some wins coming our way.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lloyd21
Club Player

After 5 rounds=14th..disappointed Yes/No

I really don't understand this the comments we want to finish 9-10 for supporters are you kidding ?

It is only for senior players at the club that this benefits mentally.

Lets just accept it this year is the year we had to have , finish say 15th who care's, just don't finish bottom for potential sponsors.

Gives you a great pick each round the draft / preseason draft the 1st draft not compromised in years & get games in kids every week.

Accepted this myself in 2011, the system rewards failure .

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'm Disappointed !!!
not at losing , just the fact that the young players who showed potential last year have so far showed nothing this year .
saad = nothing
milera=nothing
simpkin=nothing
siposs=nothing
dunell=nothing
newnes=nothing
ross=nothing
ledger=nothing

I know injury has effected some of these players , they just yet to impress !
I was impressed by some of the youth in the Vfl last week , i just want them to do it in the Afl .

In red white and black from 73
Greg T
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:The team has been poorly prepared and coached to date - you think the coaching group would have learnt something after the tardy start last year but obviously not! So for me it is a very disappointing start and IMO it won't get much better !
Here here good comment

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key