Kosi MUST play out the season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi MUST play out the season

Thanks stinger, lucky I don't listen to anything you say 8-)

Funnily enough though, the only one I embellished was the '4 small forwards isn't enough' all of the others I took directly from threads.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

We need someone being physical down there. Bashing, crashing...attracting a couple of big defenders. I bagged Kosi on the match day thread, but it amazing that when he plays Roo normally plays well. Structure I suppose.

How many times have we seen him clunk a good mark early, kick a great goal, and then sort of go missing? We need him till Beau comes back. Or Hickey.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:Kosi should have spent more time in the ruck instead of running Ben ragged on a short break.

He didnt like like getting near it in the ruck. he cant ruck.
?
Change the first like with the word look. That will be close to an English sentence.

Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

?
Change the first like with the word look. That will be close to an English sentence.
I reckon Pluggsy has been on a 2 day bender while the daughter is away. I've noticed he's been having trible with the drible the last ciple days.

PJ
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
PJ wrote:Kosi should have spent more time in the ruck instead of running Ben ragged on a short break.

So you feel it was a better move to leave Ben rucking in a game of that intensity for lengthy periods of time after the 5 day break.

IMO Kosi provides more around the ground even if his ruckwork isn't perfect. This game was about competing.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you feel it was a better move to leave Ben rucking in a game of that intensity for lengthy periods of time after the 5 day break.

IMO Kosi provides more around the ground even if his ruckwork isn't perfect. This game was about competing.

Sorry I cant remember saying that. Kosi had 7 possessions and 3 of them were early in the first. I reckon he had one in the ruck that lead to a goal when we got a free but Kosi was playing on anyway. I can see where the club is at and I can see that Kosi will not be at the club next year and I am guessing that Hickey would do no worse up forward infinately better in the ruck. That is only a guess obviously.

And by the way I said last week we stuffed up playing only one ruckman so no I never wanted Ben to ruck on his own.

PJ
SS Life Member

Well IMO Kosi was picked to be back up for Ben and to provide a forward target. He managed to do 1 of those things 2 things and that was due to coaching decisions. If he couldn't ruck what was Watters plan?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Well IMO Kosi was picked to be back up for Ben and to provide a forward target. He managed to do 1 of those things 2 things and that was due to coaching decisions. If he couldn't ruck what was Watters plan?

His plan was to be the second ruckman. I think he has passed it but obviously SW knows more than me and anyone else on here. I just think Hickey is where the club is at but I understand why Kosi played last week as Hickey was off a 4 day break. I want him to do well this weekend and replace Kosi next Friday.

PJ
SS Life Member

Well i hope Hickey can provide a target and ability to hit contests in the forward 50. Yes Kosi is on the way out but if you're going to introduce Saunders and co we need someone while Maister is out. & yes hickey is a much better ruck option.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The first Kosi thread isnt locked, no need for a new thread. Shoulda just added to that one.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
PurpleHayes
Club Player

The main issue with fwd line suggested by the thread is that only 2 players of the 6 are on the younger side of 29.. And Schneider has played only 9 games out of the past 28...

Whether it be Kosi or Maister, one of them needs to play at FF to allow Lee or Sippos to play as the 3rd tall forward.
And unfortunately Kosi has the added bonus of being able to ruck. And before we bring up Hickey as an initial replacement, he is woeful at FF and around the ground, highlighted by round 1 v the suns.

To be honest if Lee, White or Hickey played FF right now they would get absolutely monstered by good opposition defenders.
Don't discount that Lee, White and potentially Sippos can develop playing at FF for Sandy, until they are ready to make the step up. As far as I'm concerned they need to show the ability to kick a bag in the VFL first - along with hickey, if we expect him to play fwd at AFL level.

If we play McEvoy, hickey and maister/kozi, hickey will undoubtedly get subbed out in the 3rd qtr. I'd argue hickey will develop more effectively playing a full VFL game each week rather than a half in the AFL. This is why unfortunately Kosi suits our structure better at the moment - he still draws the 1st or 2nd best opposition defender. Another reason Milne needs to play is to take the best opposition small defender - which allows saad an easier transition to afl level on the oppositions 2nd best small defender.

The alternative is throwing them to the wolves when they are out if their depth against quality opposition which routes their confidence and creates doubt amongst our supporter base - refer Jack Watts.

My ideal fwd 6 next week:
Milne Kosi Saad
Lee Roo Saunders

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:We need someone being physical down there. Bashing, crashing...attracting a couple of big defenders. I bagged Kosi on the match day thread, but it amazing that when he plays Roo normally plays well. Structure I suppose.

How many times have we seen him clunk a good mark early, kick a great goal, and then sort of go missing? We need him till Beau comes back. Or Hickey.

Just answered why Roo plays well. Kosi gets one of Riewoldts three men and he gets off the leash.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:We need someone being physical down there. Bashing, crashing...attracting a couple of big defenders. I bagged Kosi on the match day thread, but it amazing that when he plays Roo normally plays well. Structure I suppose.

Just answered why Roo plays well. Kosi gets one of Riewoldts three men and he gets off the leash.

Roo got most of his kicks down back and it had stuff all to do with Kosi playing. If Hickey plays they would still send the same opponent to him as they did Kosi. Coaches arent scared of Kosi anymore. Rooy played unbelievably well but that was because it seemed he could play anywhere he wanted to. Lets face Kosi took one mark within scoring distance of goal. The worst Hickey could do is take one less mark.

Greg T
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:I hope he gets to 200. I really do. It would just be a good for the club as a whole. Kosi, the club and the supporters have been through a lot together. And there is no denying he loves us all.
He certainly deserves 200 and has worked hard to achieve this.
He certainly divides opinion,but we have had heaps worse than him at he club.
A great 1 club saints man

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

With Maister out, it seems that there is a place for Kosi for a few games (and get him to 200), marking and/or bringing the ball to ground in the forward 50, plus some chop-out rucking. Hickey needs more time to develop and he will get games during the year.

Lee lacks ground impact at the moment and needs time to develop. Without Maister, its Kosi for me to take the pressure off Rooey and provide some support to Macca.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I hope he gets to 200. I really do. It would just be a good for the club as a whole. Kosi, the club and the supporters have been through a lot together. And there is no denying he loves us all.
He would get concussion running through his celebratory banner though.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Roo got most of his kicks down back and it had stuff all to do with Kosi playing. If Hickey plays they would still send the same opponent to him as they did Kosi. Coaches arent scared of Kosi anymore. Rooy played unbelievably well but that was because it seemed he could play anywhere he wanted to. Lets face Kosi took one mark within scoring distance of goal. The worst Hickey could do is take one less mark.
He keeps a player off Roo still twat.

Yes the same as Hickey would. The really tall guys mean they often drop a guy back in front of them for the chop out too. It stresses the backline and forces accountability. A big body up forward would do but Kosi is available and isn't really required to do much if he brings the ball in there.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
That made me laugh

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
That made me laugh
Me too.....good one...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:I have been saying he is gone, done dusted... But i must say his first quarter and a half on Thursday were great. Kicked a goal, contested very hard, bodied people, showed desperation.... If he maintained that I would be happy tp play him....

Of course, he dropped off in the 2nd half.. substantially.. and the small ground and slow tight contest also suited him....
I would like Lee given more time.. so.. I am now on the fence a bit with Kosi.. which is a movement from being in the "retire now" side
People do realise he was collected by Mumford...was it the third? Was back and forth with the doctor, and no, it was not because he has no awareness...it just happened.
Oh for goodness sake, not another excuse. Face facts he is completely useless and has been for about five years.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:The first Kosi thread isnt locked, no need for a new thread. Shoulda just added to that one.
Can never have too many Kosi threads!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:The first Kosi thread isnt locked, no need for a new thread. Shoulda just added to that one.
Can never have too many Kosi threads!
We can have enough of you posting in them though...

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:For the good of the team, Kosi must play out the season in the senior side.

For the good of Riewoldt, Kosi must play out the season in the seniors.

For the good of our structure, Kosi must play out the year in the seniors.

The game has gone past Justin and is quicker then ever but we can structure our forward line around him to still have pressure inside the 50. Kosi should see out the year as a stay at home forward using his muscle and bulk to take marks and to bring the ball to ground for the crumbers.

Forward 6

Milne Kosi Saad

Schneider Roo Sippos

Keep the young players rotating thru the team but keep this forward structure when all players are fit. Thanks
Yeah, nah.

How he's still on an AFL list is truly one of the great mysteries of the world.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
andrewg
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:Tanking, I like it.

Thankfully there is no chance of Kosi playing out the season… he's been struggling at Sandringham, true story.
There is conventional ordinary tank - give all your youngsters heaps of game time.

and there is the SUPER TANK - play Kosi!

Really Im happy for the big Kos to play his 4-6 games this year but his body just isnt up to playing week in week out.
I wouldnt even play him every week At Sandy.

I think we need to persist with Hickey and Lee and then later down the track throw White in.
Yeah, there's some really fresh ideas coming through over the last couple of weeks…

Hope Scotty is reading, maybe I should jot them down, so he can combine them all & thank us later…

1. Kosi must play all year, regardless of form or fitness, just has to play - think structure

2. New midfield, Milne, Simpkin & Maister… sounds crazy, but it just may work

3. Don't play Hickey & Lee, but just keep our fingers crossed that, when they do come into the side in 2 years, they destroy the comp

4. Riewoldt should play at CHB - you know it makes sense

5. 4 small forwards, it really isn't enough, we need Schneider & the Minch in there too.

I'm sure I have forgotten heaps… apologies, I'll add more later.
Love it:)

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Kosi play out the season? As bizarre as that sounds i think you guys might be right about the structure thing.

Kosi what an enigma.

Someone should write a book on kosi.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.