Cop that Lyon!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cop that Lyon!

His words were 'they let a golden opportunity slip'

I never noticed that while he was here, he is great at deflecting any attention from himself.

Saints43
Club Player

SainterK wrote:His words were 'they let a golden opportunity slip'

I never noticed that while he was here, he is great at deflecting any attention from himself.
2007: We don't coach that.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

That's dreadful coming from the coach. Surely it's ''we let a golden opportunity slip."

spert
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
spert wrote:Lyon could have stayed at StK and recruited and developed for a next crack at a flag, but in reality he hasn't got the skills other than toughening up a good team, and implementing a one-dimensional game plan. Premierships=0
Actually, no one knows if he is capable of developing a team from scratch as he hasn't had the chance...

People conveniently forget that he was asking StKilda for a secure long term deal, the club didn't really want to offer that, freo did. He knew we needed to re-build & was up for the challenge, but similar to Goddard, we appeared to not want him that much, someone else did.
Lyon's priorities and skillset: 1. Money 2. Get a premiership with a ready made team 3. Recruiting development (and he had told the club he would accept their offer on the day he walked out). If players like Goddard are not happy, then we don't need them at the club, as they won't give 100%

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

2007: We don't coach that.
2009 'they missed'

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Shame to see him so disappointed.
:wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Seen Roo have to bear the load that Pav tried to last night under similar physical duress...

The key forward is so significant to his gameplan.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
spert wrote:Lyon could have stayed at StK and recruited and developed for a next crack at a flag, but in reality he hasn't got the skills other than toughening up a good team, and implementing a one-dimensional game plan. Premierships=0
Actually, no one knows if he is capable of developing a team from scratch as he hasn't had the chance...

People conveniently forget that he was asking StKilda for a secure long term deal, the club didn't really want to offer that, freo did. He knew we needed to re-build & was up for the challenge, but similar to Goddard, we appeared to not want him that much, someone else did.

good attempt to rewrite history......he told the saints he was going to sign a new contract...one was prepared and was sitting there waiting for him to sign ..all the whle the judas pr!ck was negotiating with the dockers .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

anyway...the thread's taken a bullsh!t path. whilst i also loved to see judas so upset.....if that kick had come off the boot one degree to the left it would be the dockers celebrating a win and hird with his head in his hands.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

One thing I noticed very early in his tenure was that the blame always lay elsewhere.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:

One thing I noticed very early in his tenure was that the blame always lay elsewhere.
I'll admit to not noticing it back then...

It's only reflective hindsight that I noticed in that behind the scenes doco on the Saints a couple of years ago that when he reflects on the 09 grand final his words were something like 'I have visions of players running into open goals'

Nothing about Hayes copping the heaviest of Bartel tags and his reluctance still to utilise our other inside mid Luke Ball more than he did.

We as Saints fans, are incredibly harsh on that grand final team, perhaps because so many haven't been able to sit down and watch the game again. I have, and to watch their midfield surge after half time because of what I mentioned earlier....it's telling.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
dragit wrote:

good attempt to rewrite history......he told the saints he was going to sign a new contract...one was prepared and was sitting there waiting for him to sign ..all the whle the judas pr!ck was negotiating with the dockers .... :roll: :roll: :roll:

anyway...the thread's taken a bullsh!t path. whilst i also loved to see judas so upset.....if that kick had come off the boot one degree to the left it would be the dockers celebrating a win and hird with his head in his hands.....
I haven't re-written history one bit. Lyon said directly afterwards "it took Fremantle 24 hours to organise a contract that StKilda couldn't in 12 months"

I have no doubt he would still be coaching us if we'd given him a 3 year deal 9 months earlier, I'm talking about a proper contract that doesn't have a clause where you can be sacked at any moment with no entitlements, what a ridiculous thing to expect for club clearly heading towards a re-build, for a coach coming off back to back GF appearances.

He wanted to stay more than the club wanted him, but go ahead and paint it that he completely shafted us, makes it all easier to bear I guess.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Really?

Even when it's come out recently that his mate rang the Demons and said he was available?

He wasn't staying....

dragit
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Really?

Even when it's come out recently that his mate rang the Demons and said he was available?

He wasn't staying....
When did this phone call supposedly happen?
If we had put a 3 year deal to him in march, without clauses, he would have signed, I have no doubt. I'm not saying that would have been best for us... so many the club just didn't want him that much.

The bloke was broke, was pretty obvious we had reservations, so he took a massive offer from elsewhere... I get that people are hurt, but I can totally understand why he left. Do we have to stay so bitter, we're probably both better off the way it panned out.

He did some great things at the club, he did some terrible things, I still thank him & now move on. Can think of ten other clubs I would prefer not to win a flag than freo.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
SainterK wrote:Really?

He wasn't staying....
When did this phone call supposedly happen?
If we had put a 3 year deal to him in march, without clauses, he would have signed, I have no doubt. I'm not saying that would have been best for us... so many the club just didn't want him that much.

The bloke was broke, was pretty obvious we had reservations, so he took a massive offer from elsewhere... I get that people are hurt, but I can totally understand why he left. Do we have to stay so bitter, we're probably both better off the way it panned out.

He did some great things at the club, he did some terrible things, I still thank him & now move on. Can think of ten other clubs I would prefer not to win a flag than freo.
I don't think he would of.

I think he coached 2011 with his win/loss record in mind.

I'm glad he's contract had clauses, he was not without flaws, and Freo have certainly removed a lot of control from him.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon he would go out of his way to tell a fan (tony74) at a small training session that "he really wanted to stay build the club up again, I just hope the club wants me as much" if he wasn't thinking of staying?

Anyway, semantics, we'll never know I guess.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
jonesy wrote: A modest lead in a grand final is better than losing to an under 20 squad in round 1 rapidly dissending from a force to football irrelevance within 12 months
Just remind me please because I have a bad memory...How did RL go in his last year at St.Kilda?

I've got another interesting question to pose to you...How do you think RL would go with that under 20 squad if he was to take over coaching them right now and if he had 4 or 5 years to work with the GC Suns?

See where I'm going here...apart from the various components of a footy club that all need to work well together, we all know the list is the key. Everything starts with a blueprint and the cattle either has what it takes or they don't.

All things being equal and let's assume your hero was still at our football club....How far do you think he'd go with the Saints team of 2013? We've got the oldest list at the moment and guys like Milne, Lenny, Roo, Kosi, Blake and a few others have already played their best footy.

The gallant Saints team that made it to the '09 and '10 GF's was mainly put together before RL arrived. They matured and got a taste of September action and made mistakes before he arrived. We had a team that many experts were predicting was in a premiership window. How many coaches pick up a squad of the caliber of Saints circa 2006/7?

RL had minimal input in building the team, but his admirers believe he was the inspiration and the messiah that gave us a chance to win a second flag. Bullldust!!! It was RL's gameplan that failed. It was RL's philosophy on footy that failed and RL's coaching that failed. I hope the pr1ck is stubborn enough not to learn from his mistakes
Yep his game plan failed! You blindness to all things outside St Kilda is unhealthy. His gameplan was largely the main reason we got to where we did. It came down to dodgy skill from many players in 2009, 2010 could of gone either way. Dont see how ANYONE can say his gameplan failed. Beats me

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
mambo2706 wrote:I don't think Lyon has ever coached a winning team against Essendon
Well there was the last game of 2008, but I think that was only a narrow win.
We went pretty good in 2009

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93